Register now to get rid of these ads!

How many of you have re-bought your old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Jun 24, 2010.

1. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I could ,But I moved on ,My first car was a Chevelle 72 .I had 2 of them . Sometimes I think it would be cool to redo another one ,Too many different bodylines ,Anyway streetrods are more fun ,I cant wait to finish mine .I never drove one.......

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I rebought a 49 Dodge that was like my third car when I was a teen, and that I had used for years and years and tons of mile all over the country. Sold it, lost track of it for ten years or more. Then I found it, rebought it, and drove it a month or so. Put it in dead storage for 20 years and only recently sold it due to a realization that I was never going to do anything with it again. Was not the best financial decision I ever made as it ended up costing me more end-to-end thatn I got back for it. Nevertheless, I had good intentions at the time I repurchased it, so that was cool.

3. killbilly

killbilly

I bought my 34 chevy 5w in 1980 sold it to a friend in 1990 and bought it back in 2002 it's in my avatar

4. bought my 1960 olds back after 17 years

5. roadster36

roadster36
    from Sonoma

I bought my '56 Chevy truck back. I built it in the mid 70's. It was actually too nice to be a driver so I ended up selling it to a guy I worked with. He sold it to someone else.I regretted selling it. I guess it changed hands a few times over the span of about 5 years or so. One evening a lady I was dating saw the photo of my truck and said she saw it recently. Since she was blond I figured "yea right". A few weeks later I drove to her home to pick her up for an event and she asked me if I wanted to go look at the truck. I said sure ! About 5 blocks later we turned the corner and there it was in the driveway. The truck was almost a total loss. The front and rear windows were smashed, the drivers side door was torn off, the rear end and trans were blown up, and the paint was toast. I made some inquiries and bought it back for 400.00. I towed it home and stripped it, moved a few times and rebuilt it Chevelle front clip,Jag rear,pounder 355, tube frame. I finished it again and hated it. It now resides in Georgia. I won't date my ex-wife and I won't but back any of my old cars. Lesson learned.Although it was a blast building it both times. You can't go home again. Another aside to the story: When I went to the DMV to register the truck I was asked to go wait in "the office" after taking my paperwork up to the window. I figured the dirtbag that I bought it from had robbed a bank or something. 15 minutes later this hot yuppie chick come in and wants me to sell her the truck ! It turns out she and her husband were owners along the line after I sold it and he got to keep it in the divorce.She wanted it back. She knew it was the same truck because of the personalized plates that were on it. I told her I was the builder of it originally and she understood, then she asked me to build a clone of it. I told her I was too busy and left with my paperwork done. The funny thing is that a few years later we built the exact same truck except for the IRS for a good buddy of mine. OK,I have to wash my tooth and head to bed.

6. rrayne

rrayne

I bought a 41 plymouth when i was 16. it was stolen when i was 18. i bought another 41 plymouth. i got it pretty cheap. it was a sad case, lincoln chassis, square headlights, 12 guage diamond plate floors. long story short, went to redo it, started sanding purple paint from it and noticed patch panels that look a lot like the ones i did on my 41. so i checked the passenger door wear i patched a bullet whole. yep it was there. it was my 41. never had a title for it, couldnt get anyone to own up. so yes i have bought one of my cars back.

7. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I had an O/T Trans-Am that came back so many times that I started calling her "Herpes"

Made money on the deal every time and finally sold it and never saw it again.

Shawn

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I traded back for my 48 after selling it a year and a half before. back in the mid sixties I bought my old 51 Merc coupe back for ten bucks from a former classmate who had it sitting at his mother in law's house missing the transmission. My name was still on the title of it. I sold that one again several years ago and couldn't afford to buy it back now even if it became available.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I sold my '28 RPU last year about this time. Was sick. Found out it was available again and now its back.

My Dad had a car lot when I was in high school. He had the same Chevette 6 times. Everytime I would fuck up.... That was my daily driver.

Attached Files:

10. Mullins

Mullins

I have a 1959 Chevy Apache known as COOTERS GARAGE that I have owned 4 times now. I've had it back for a while now. Now my son is attached to it. So it's just part of the family. It's officially a KEEPER now.
    I Also have a 1952 Willys M38A1 Fire Jeep that I have owned 3 times. It's another part of the family deal. My boy and my girlfriends boys love the little jeep. The last time I sold it to a distant family relation. My Great Uncle seen it and always wanted one. He paid for it and then became terminally ill with cancer. He never had a chance to even come pick it up. I stored it for him all summer and fall. Then he called to ask me to sell it for him. I ended up just buying it back from him. He soon after past away.
    The jeep has been a blast since the first day I owned it. All my friends have a fun story about the thing. We used it as a beer run vehicle for years. Always got to hear the siren blowing when the beer was heading back. Then my Son has been riding in it since he was 2. I'd strap him in a car seat and run to my parents on the other side of town.
    Sometimes it's not what they are worth it's how many memories of goodtimes you have had with them. Just another great way to enjoy the Hobby of Classic Cars/Trucks.

Attached Files:

11. I would love to have my old '66 GTA Failane back and I know where it is, the problem is the guy wants ten times what I sold it to him for twenty two years ago. :rolleyes: I don't want it that bad. :p

12. Great story, almost funny.

13. retiredfireguy

retiredfireguy

I once had a cherry '67 El Camino, with a very strong 327 and three-speed. I totally abused it, and eventually sold the sorry mess it had become. A year or two later, I bought it back again and tried to fix it up. I finally gave up on it and sold it again. That was probably 30 years ago. If I had the opportunity, I'd probably but it back again today.

14. bonesy

bonesy

I've owned this car twice - and have thought hard about buying it back a third time. Na, I it's been changed some and I think I've finally go it all out of my system.

Attached Files:

15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I sold a '53 Ford F-100 to a friend in '92. Every time I see him, I ask if I can buy it back. He says, "I told you if I ever decided to sell it, I'd contact you first."

Sold a '54 DeSoto to another friend six years ago. Same story.

At least I know where they're at and both guys really know their stuff, so they're in good hands!

16. back in the 70's I built a t bucket. Nothing fancy, G60's in front, L60's in rear. Low, short, black on black with sprinkles of chrome. 427/auto, 4 wheel disc brakes, quick change rear end. Did a couple of shows, and quickly found out they weren't my thing. Sold it to a buddy who had to have it. Scared him to death, I bought it back. He calls and says no damn car is gonna get the best of him and wants it back. I sell it. Month later, I get a call. Come get it he says, he's done with it. Find out from his wife he was showing off and ground looped the damn thing. Come to think of it, maybe I wasn't selling to him as much as I was renting to him.
    So the T's sitting in the corner of the shop and another buddy comes in. Seems he's tired of his 69 442, and wants a "starter" hot rod. I explain to him my T is a little past the "starter" stage and he'd be better off getting something a bit more tame. He informed me that he knew all about power since he had a 442. Seems like this guy only had two speeds, full on, full off. The deal is made, and on the weekend he shows up with his wife to take the car home. I have the T sitting in front of the shop, all cleaned up and ready to go. His wife walks around the car and comes over to me. "He has two daughters that are looking forward to walking down the isle with him someday." She looks back at the T and says "I hope he makes it. Hell, I hope he makes it home."
    Well, he didn't.
    This is how it was told to me. About a mile from the shop he's waiting at a light when a pretty hot camaro pulls up along side. His wife is behind him, and she knows whats going to happen. She hears the rpm's rise on T, and see's it lift a little. So she goes into 'chase mode'. The light goes green and all hell breaks loose. Seems the tires bit (should have checked pressure) and the street was sporting new concrete. The T leaps, the camaro's tires are smoking, and she sees a flame blow out the carb on the T. She damn near runs over him, as he's rolling to a stop.
    the camaro's long gone, and the T's just sitting there. She gets out reading him the riot act. She gets to the car and sees he's not moving. She FREAKS. She thinks he's dead, but checks and sees he breathing, just knocked out is all. Cars are stopped everywhere, and somebody from one of the stores has called the cops and medics.
    Seems the T left so hard, he knocked himself out on the roll bar. Lucky the carb loaded up and backfired, shutting the motor down and halted forward motion.
    Back at the shop we hear the sirens, and I say to my partner, "LOoks like Bob didn't make it home." Little did I know.
    Later that morning Bob and his wife come into the shop. He's looking a bit confused, she's fit to be tied. I get the story and that the car is ok and she asks if they can get their money back. What she said next made me grin. She looks me right in the eye and says, "This idiot isn't grown-up enough to own that car." I look over at Bob, who doesn't really know whether he's afoot or horseback, and give them back their money. She thanks me with a big hug and tells me the T is in the Dairy Queen parking lot.
    My partner and I were laughing so hard on the way to the Dairy Queen we almost miss the driveway.
    A quick look over and everything seems fine. Good old Bob had shifted to low (good thing). Somebody on sight knew drag strip safety, because the battery cut-off was used.
    That was the last time the car left together. It was later broken up to power a drag only toppolino.

17. kelzweld

kelzweld

I owned this one <<<<<< (in the avatar) and sold it. Saw it for sale at an event and had it back with me within a couple of days. About 7 years in between ownership I think.

18. jpm49c

jpm49c

I traded my 1952 Chevrolet panel for a 55 Chevrolet. A few months later the police called and told me to come and get my panel because it was parked on private land. The guy never registered it and didn't want it. So i got it back for free.
    If anyone knows where my avatar 1957 Chevy is, i sure would like to get it back. Last time i saw it in Arizona was about 1980. Thanks, John

19. Elkhartthunder

Elkhartthunder

My dad bough an original 1939 Ford 2 Dr Standard Sedan in 1966. He pulled the flathead and put in a 327 then sold it in 72'? I think. The buyer drove it home. He went looking for another one and ended up buying the same car back in the mid 80's. When he bought it back it had no interior,no engine/tranny, no paint and the body wasn't even bolted to the frame. It had been through 20 plus owners and was in a garage fire(no damage to the car though). He recognized the car by the insides of the doors being cut to remove steel for weight, a small dent in the front fender lip that no one ever repaired and by the rear end (which was advertised as a olds rear end but in fact was a tri 5 rear end(He knew/questioned without pics or looking under it). My dad paid 500 bucks more for the worn out shell than he sold it for with 300+hp. Pics accompanying.
    I sold a 1975 Olds Cutlass 442 back in the early-mid 90's.It was silver with custom grey and maroon interior,sunroof,built trans and some floor rot. It had a spun rod in the 403 motor and knocked bad but they drove it away. I lived in south Chicagoland at the time and regret every day selling that car. If I found the car and had the cash I'd buy it back in a second.
    I saw my old 55' Chevy on ebay about a month ago. I bought the car for $5,000 , put a HEI distributor in it replacing the coil and sold it for $5,000. It sold for over $6,000 and it looked no different than when I had it. It needed A LOT of work, total resto project. I wish the new owner luck but I'd never buy that one back.

Attached Files:

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I tried to trade to get back my '26 but no dice.

Miss that car...
    [​IMG]

21. Only one, a '65 Chevy p/u to a friend of mine, then bought it back from him after a couple of years. I have since re-sold it. I can think of a number of cars, I really would like to get back..maybe some day, never know.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I tried to get my 65 Chevy Van back, but the guy wrecked it before we could do the deal.

I got my OT '82 Honda XL500R back after 15 years (and only 400 added miles on the odometer) for the same price I sold it for.

23. GothboY

GothboY
    from SoCal

Sold a pretty nice dodge dart (donno why i like those cars) after the engine went. I was financially in hard times and it hurt me to do it. I made this kid a killer deal because he was just trying to get into old cars and didnt have alot of cash. A few years later when he was going thru hard times and needed money he calls me up and wants to sell it back to me for what he bought it for 400$ because i was cool to him when it mattered. Not a bad deal considering the kid rebuilt the engine and redid the interior. I kept it for a year and sold it for 2500 after that. -GothY-

24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bought my 57 Fuely in 76--redid it and drove it--sold it in 85 to a guy I worked with--bought it back in 2003 and redid it--wife never wanted me to sell it in the 1st place--probably will stay this time

25. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I've never re-bought (is there such a word?) any of my cars, but I did own three '56 Chevy two door wagons in a row. Does that count? :confused:

26. jason65

jason65

Sold my 65 twice. After getting it back the second time @8 years ago I did a fram off on it and it's staying with me for good now.

27. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Sold my 1956 F-100 so I could build my sedan. When I win the lottery I'm going to go to Calif. and buy it back. Was a great truck. I miss it and so does my wife.

28. Never had that happen. I just cant let go of anything. My old heap has benn in the family since february of '68. I have told my kids"you guys can be replaced! But not my car!":D

29. Invicta

Invicta

I had a 63 Nova I sold for 1200.00 cash to move to Az from arkansas. I was 20 yr old and This guy gave me this real sweet sob story about wanting to buy the car for his 2yr old to have a classic car when he got older. 2 months after I moved I went back to Arkansas to get the rest of my stuff and I see the Nova on the side of the road for sale 3600.00. I call the guy up and ask him if he would sell it back to me and he says, Nah, I dont want some dumb kid to have it..........asshole.

30. I traded my 66 chevelle i had as a senior in high school for a 39 ford deluxe coupe. That was 1984. I went to school with this kid and his dad wanted it.the deal was made and they drove it home about 2 miles from me.the dad would not let his son drive it until some work was done. He was hanging a carrot in front of him basically. The dad just kept coming up with more to do.well you know what happens then the kid got board and the car sat. Fast forward to 2000. The dad sells his house and moves from wi to il near the kentucky border taking the 66 with (trailered). Three years ago the dad passes away and the car is willed to the son now living in south dakota. Around this time im wanting to find my old car. I found a relative who would not tell my where the kid lived. I used my cop friends to try to find him with no luck. Of all things the wife found him as a friend on a old high school cassmates face book. A message was sent and yes he still had the car. He needed time to think about selling it but was not saying no. It took three weeks but my old car is now back with me. Now comes the wierd part i went to change the carpet and underneith was my drivers licence old pay stubs and a engraved key fob i got from my future wife. I started digging around the house and found the plates that were on it then the bill of sale and about 30 pictures also prom programs and tickets comencement programs and other stuff. The car is just like i had it. The car has aged like i have but still in great shape. The plan is to refurbish it to the way i had it then.complete with incorrect parts ,fuzzy t-handle hurst shiffter ladder bars center lines and the like a true 80s street car im so lucky to have found it unmolested with only two more miles on it.i got it back this may.it is now running and driving. The wife and i are cruising around just like back then. Brian class of 84