Register now to get rid of these ads!

Praise for NAPA

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 5window, Aug 2, 2010.

1. 5window

5window

We all rant about bad service from auto parts stores-here's a happy ending. I found out Sunday I needed an odd size v-belt for a lawn mower deck. Called Advance-only place open-and two different "assistants" kept me on the line for 15 minutes while they "checked". Never did find out if they had the belt.

Today I called my local NAPA store. They told me they had the belt in stock, I said I'd be down shortly to pick it up. I stopped in on the way to work-they'd gotten the belt ready, showed them my AAA card and got a discount and within 5 minutes I was back on the road.

So, Here's to "Bird" at the Lewisburg NAPA. Answered my call, knew what he had in stock, saved it out for me and professionally dealt with my purchase. I should also point out that while I frequent the store, I am not an automobile service professional so he wasn't giving me anything other than the usual customer service.

But, ain't it grand when it all goes like we think it's supposed to?

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Man it's nice when it works that way! They still have some good people working out there, it's just sad that they're outweighed by the bad.

3. The Napa's around here seem to be on the ball. Usually know what's going on and are very helpful.
    It is good when life pans out in the positive.

4. Dirk35

Dirk35

We have one guy like that here at our Napa. The others seem to care less if they are helpful or not.

5. 56ih

56ih

We've got a good NAPA crew here, and the Carquest guys are pretty good too. O'Reilly on the other hand...

6. nummie

nummie

best to get that belt from a small engine shop. auto belts are not designed for that shock load. so if you keep breaking them, thats the reason. should hold up well if you dont run over logs, boulders, imported cars, and small families like most of my customers do, though.

7. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I think NAPA carries mower supplies,so they probably gave him the right belt.They carry marine supplies,too.

8. I've had good service from guys at both O'Reilly and NAPA.
    They will take time to look up stuff for an old car.....some things
    they can get, and some things they can't. But they're willing to
    find out.

9. Deuces

Deuces

Running over imported cars with a lawn mower.... Now that's funny! :)

10. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I like NAPA. Here in Kent, the NAPA is owned by a fellow car guy. He owns a 50? Chevy truck. He also supports local car clubs, and the car show at the Kentfest. He also owns the NAPA in Streetsboro and Ravenna.

We have Twilight zones and Advances and Federated. If NAPA doesnt have the parts I see federated,(another car guy) I live within 20 min of Summit, and the nickname is scumit.

NAPA and federated have always had anything I need at a resonable cost

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

back in the good old days that was how it was done for every sale. if a clerk couldn't pull it off they were given the axe.

now you walk into a store and they don't even look at you.

12. rustdodger

rustdodger

I've had good luck with the local NAPAs. I think they tend to be locally owned and the owner is usually in the store or if not, at least in contact with the store's costomers. I think that scenerio tends to make for better service. Around here the career parts guys that have been behind the counter at parts stores are at the NAPAs

13. x2:D

14. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

Napa is all right if you don't mind supporting the Nascar Toyota program. I choose not to.

15. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Damn you are you one lucky guy ! All we get around here in Hanover are dumb ass tuner kids that have no idea what the hell most parts are even for . the Advance Auto was good when the manager Mike and another girl was there . They would find me whatever I wanted and most of the time they would tell me to go back and find the part I want ! I mean when you are building a car that damn computer isn't worth a dime to use . Now they are there anymore or I just keep missing them . They were the best ones around . Other than that all the other parts stores around here are a total waste of time ! It's really hard to explain something to a useless pizza delivery guy that works at the parts store in the day time and delivers pizza's at night .
    What ever happened to the good parts stores ? If someone knows a good one in the Hanover area and who to talk to let me know . I am tired of trying to communicate with a snot nose kid with the IQ of an turd that think tuner cars are the fastest and best cars around !

Retro Jim

16. Muttley

Muttley

I always hit the local NAPA when I'm in need of parts, the other places are a last resort only.

17. nummie

nummie

When I was living in Michigan's UP I actually pulled a toyota badge out of a rider's mower deck. was a source for jokes for years.

18. Deuces

Deuces

19. A while back there was a thread about the negatives of NAPA. Just goes to show how much our experiences vary. Consistency is hard to achieve, when some are corporate stores, and some are jobber stores. As in any business, there are some quality people..and some, not so much.

20. andysdeuce

andysdeuce
    Member Emeritus

Five window, if I were you I would be talking to that guys boss and general manager about your good experience and fast service. Maybe he will stay around a while if he knows he is appreciated for his efforts. This kind of service is very rare in this day and age. Make sure he is rewarded for his efforts.

21. I have 2 great NAPA stores here on Long Island that I like, the one in Copiague on Sunrise Hwy and the store in Bay Shore on Union Blvd (Bud Shore Auto Parts). I've gone to both stores with some odd requests and they were almost always able to help me out.

Bob

22. 5window

5window

Good point.

23. 2002p51

2002p51

One of the NAPA stores near me not only has helpful guys that know what they're doing, but they put on a free car show with tons of give-aways every year. So I try to support them and shop there whenever I can.

24. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Uncle buck runs our local NAPA store. VERY well stocked including an excellent paint dept. Lots of hot rod-type bits, tools and odds&ends. Uncle buck really knows his business. Employs a couple of mouth breathers but also a couple of good guys. All around best auto parts store I've ever dealt with.

25. I worked as an equiptment mechanic for a large municipality for amost 30 years. NAPA always won the "parts bid" for the year and we mechanics were overjoyed about it. One year NAPA forgot to get their bid in on time [their guy was fired] with us and we were forced to take the lowest bid which was O-reilleys. Man, did we have problems! Even their light bulbs failed! We limped through the year and NAPA won the bid next year. Back to good parts and service. After I retired I went to work for NAPA as a driver while a surgery healed. It was simple , easy work but didn't pay well. They stressed good service and anybody who didn't give it was let go. I really like that company. I know there will always be somebody who will make an occasional mistake but my experience with NAPA tells me they work harder than the other guys to give a quality product at a fair price with a good warrantee.....

26. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Like most stores, it's not the name on the sign it's the guy behind the counter. A knowlegable, freindly, helpful , sales person is a joy to find reguarless of if your looking for obsolete parts or buying a double latte.

It is kind of annoying to have a "parts pro" argue with me that Chevrolet never made a 348 engine. lol

27. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I had a real problem with that. Little Mikey Waltrip is not my favorite asshole either. But I refuse to let this stuff come between me and good parts and service. The people I deal with at Alamitos Auto Parts in Los Alamitos, Ca are tops.

28. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Maybe I will have to try the new NAPA store that open about 3 miles from me . I saw the sign up yesterday and had no idea they were there . I will give them a try to see how their people are . I do agree that the person behind the counter can make or break your business no matter what they are selling . A good person that wants to give you good service is very hard to find today ! I would gladly pay more for a part if the person behind the counter knew where they were doing and took some interest in their job , unlike most of the ones that punch in and punch out and could care less about their job .
    As for NASCAR and the parts stores , I could care less who their sponsors are ! I ONLY shop where I get what I want and have good people to deal with . Other than that who gives a Rats Ass if it's little Mikey , Johnson at Lowe's or any of the others . I don't shop their because it's their sponsor ! I buy from a store where the service is good and they have what I want !
    I will buy from a store owner than a chain store any day of the week ! Those are the ones busting their ass everyday trying to make his business work . Those are where the good service is .

Retro Jim

29. Nuther plug for Uncle Buck and the NAPA store he runs. If he ain't got it (seldom) he gets it. Got a couple of big projects (for me) done with his help.

30. Most parts stores are set up for, and do most of their sales to, the guys with 5-15 year old cars keeping them patched up and running down the road or doing general maintenance.