Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help identifying a car from LARS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tbraginton, Jul 28, 2010.

1. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Ok here it is and I am totally kicking myself for not taking my camera... (I was working not spectating) I would like to find out more about the car and if possible talk to the builder. It is exactly what I would like to build and could use some more info. Thanks in advance for any help!

Attached Files:

2. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

(me saying some dumb ignorant BS)

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. Was in TRJ a while back

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's the Dale Lambrose car. He was the sponsor and team mate of Ike Iaccono in the early fifties. My favorite '29 on '32 rails I might add. TRJ #40

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That's the Iaccano '29 roadster powered by a GMC. Watched it run at Lions many times. A beautiful car and it was very fast.

6. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

This is why I love this place!!! You guys kick ASS! I will be ordering that back issue tonight.

7. Dan Warner

Dan Warner
    from so cal

If it is a drag car why don't the slicks go with it? Post #2.

DW

8. An iconic car that influenced a ton of us.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't believe that post # 2 understood or knew the history of the car.

10. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

The car was also on the cover of the Goodguys Gazette within the last year including a pretty good article on it.

11. ignant of the past.

12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Get a hold of KIRK here on the HAMB. He did a photo shoot of it at the Goodguys last year. That car is from around here. I seen it GG and there was even a article in the paper when the car was redone.

It is a jaw dropping car in person.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

What info do you need?

14. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

KIRK!

I am looking for as much info or pictures on the car I can get. I have dreamed of building a lakes/drag roadster with an I-6 and fell in love with this one as soon as I saw it. I would love some info on the chassis and body modifications that give the car such an incredible stance and beautiful lines. If you have detail photos or more info I would love to get them so I at least know what went into what has to be one of the most beautiful cars built.

P.S. the legion looks awesome! You guys totally kick ass!!!

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sorry, Ive been holding out on you... I too love this thing, although I have to admit that a six in an A roadster is never going to be a very comfortable situation because of engine length vs. leg room. Love the stance though. When I get to build my '29 on '32 rails I will steal this stance. I took these at LARS in '09 and kinda forgot that I did. Hope they help.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

And more... sorry these are so close up and detaily... I like to see how stuff goes together.

Attached Files:

17. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Close up and detaily is just how I like em! That is exactly along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'm loving the throttle linkage!

As far as the leg room issue goes I think I will have to find a way to stretch things out a bit because mine would be a driver!!! I do love everything about the way that car just lays down without any shock and awe or outrageous proportions. A truly magnificent example of what a good traditional car should be!!!!

18. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

See, there in lies the problem with this deal. If you start stretching anything on this the proportions go away instantly. Now here is my thoughts - ditch the GMC and go with a 235 Chev and spend the dough for a Wayne/Horning type 12 port head. That's about 2'' more room. put the radiator up on pedestals in the grill shell and pull the whole drive train forward and you've gained another couple of inches quick. Pedals and such can be set up to mimic a sprint or a midget, where they push down more than forward. Keep the whole thing race inspired and keep the trans and torque tube open in the cockpit so that the bottom of the belly pan is the floor. More space. It would take allot of thinking and some compromise, but I think it can be done. This has been one of my favorite race cars since I first saw it in a mid fifties HOT ROD thirty some odd years ago. And, it was easily recognizable to when Paul Gommi reanimated it in the mid eighties for nostalgia dragging. So when it showed up at LARS, I took way to many pictures, these are most of them though.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is a very nice restoration. Was there a cutaway of the car when it was featured in Hot Rod back when it was originally built?

20. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

PM your email address and phone number to me and I'll put you in touch with the owner/builder.

22. rgaller

rgaller

Just because it has "history" doesn't mean everyone should like it. I agree with the #2 post.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My point was very simple. If you don't know the history behind the car as being one of the first to run drag slicks, why would you comment on them being wrong? Just makes basic sense!!! The other way to do it would be "but why does it have them?" and then let some of us that know, tell you why.I believe it's called basic respect!

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually it's an exact restoration.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

26. KIRK!

KIRK!

Read and learn...

Neil O’Kane
    San Leandro, CA
    1929 Ford Roadster

The flathead reigned as king during the dawn of hot rodding. As with most top dogs, there is usually a feisty underdog nipping at its heels, and beating the flatheads became a pursuit of some of the cleverest gentleman of the day. Guys like Harry Warner, Chet Herbert and Wayne F. Horning saw the potential in GM’s sizeable inline six cylinders and began experimenting with new heads, ignitions, cams and inductions.

Chet Herbert was a cam grinder who, despite being wheelchair bound from Polio, ran a radical “Jimmy Six” in his ’32 Ford on Butane with the occasional squirt of alcohol injection. He eventually sold that motor to Dale Lambrose who teamed up with Ike Iacono to build a roadster in 1954. Ike’s brother Frank was racing a ’34 coupe and inspired them to go with inline power. They created one of the earliest, if not the first, two-car teams with matching paint schemes and uniforms, and dominated the coupe and roadster classes.

The second week that Lions was open in 1955 Lambrose and Iacono took home the Top Eliminator trophy. They continued to win every race in competition during their three-year campaign. Well, every race but one. They made an exploratory gear change and were beaten. The winner absolutely refused a rematch once the correction was made, and there lies his claim to fame – He once beat the unbeatable.

One of the secrets of the roadster’s lucky streak was the inliner itself. Class rules allowed the engine to be set back a certain distance from the front axle to the number one spark plug hole. The longer inliner put the transmission farther back into the cockpit, resulting in more weight towards the rear. With traction hampered by skinny re-capped slicks and poor track prep in the V8 cars, the roadster leapt out of the hole. Opponents were forced to chase number 99 down before the finish line.

301 cubic inches was a decent sized mill in those days. The overhead valve, 12-port Horning head made great use of a rack of Stromberg 97s before the switch to one of the earliest of Hilborn’s injection systems, and it ran strong and solid on 60-70% doses of Nitro. Venolia pistons were used along with a Vertex Magneto and a fuel pump sourced from an aircraft. With a curb weight of 1,400lbs, it easily reached speeds of 130.
    The command center for such a machine was like the motor. It was bare bones and filled with interesting details. The aluminum inner firewall served as the dash, housing a handful of necessary Stewart Warner gauges and providing a mounting surface for the throttle linkage. The flywheel adapter and ’39 trans were exposed with a hand-pump mounted by the shifter. A Cook Machine full-floating conversion kept the ’40 Ford rear intact and utilized Chevy truck brakes. The driver navigated from a bomber seat and steered with a three spoke wheel adorned with a shaved 1947 Schwinn sprocket.

When NHRA outlawed Nitro in 1957 the team refused to make the switch to gas. The car was retired and sold to another racer. The six was swapped in favor of a flathead, a roll bar was installed, and it was converted to center steer. It was eventually parked in a garage and forgotten about.

Paul Grommi purchased the roadster in San Pedro in 1975 and sold it to Neil O’Kane in 1978 after racing it briefly at the Antique Nats and parking it under a tree. Neil spent the next twenty years collecting the right parts to bring the car back to its 1955 glory.

This included sourcing a GMC block, NOS Venolia pistons, a correct 280 Chet Herbert cam, the rare Horning head (less than 20), and a Hilborn injection setup with a serial number of 14. A very early setup indeed! The restoration began three years ago and research and conversations with the previous owners have resulted in a very accurate representation of the award-winning car.

Neil is proud to be able to illustrate the beginnings of drag racing. While the So. Cal racing scene was a hot bed of activity in the ‘50s, many of the early legends were almost forgotten by the ‘60s when drag racing exploded into the mainstream and the media. We are thankful for guys like Neil who reach back into the past and resurrect a piece of history. They remind us of our roots and bring a little recognition to those who spent hours thinking of ways to squeeze a little more horsepower and to go just a little faster.

Tech Specs:

Body: 1929 Ford Roadster, tonneau cover, ’32 Ford grille, race form sans windscreen and headlights.

Chassis: 1932 Ford frame, 4” dropped axle, Hollywood spring, ’40 Ford rear with Cook Machine full floating conversion, ’40 Ford spring, 12” Chevy truck drum brakes (rear only).

Power: 301cu. in. GMC six cylinder, Horning 12-port head, Hilborn fuel injection, Vertex Magneto, NOS Venolia pistons, Chet Herbert roller cam, 1939 Ford trans, 11” clutch.

Rolling Stock: Ford wheels on Firestones up front, Merc wheels with Bruces slicks out back.

Interior: Aluminum firewall (no dash) Stewart Warner wings gauges, aircraft bucket seat and lap belt, Moon gas pedal, three spoke steering wheel with custom horn ring made from a 1947 Schwinn sprocket.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  27. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

WOW! Thanks for all of the good info!
    -Mitch

PS get TRJ #40 as previously mentioned.

28. KIRK!

KIRK!

Pics for the info above. Also featured in Goodguys Gazette (Aug. 2009).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't see where he said anyone should like it. Just that...

"done up overly nice lakes style race car with some 50s slicks on the back that dont really go with that style of car...."

...is an incorrect statement.

It's not overly nice. It was restored to the exact original.

It's not lakes-style. It was built 100% for the dragstrip.

The slicks are very appropriate (opinion of looks aside) because that's what was on the car originally, as stated earlier.

Not knowing what you're looking at doesn't make anyone wrong or dumb, just uninformed. I posted info to change that. Let's hug!

30. tbraginton

tbraginton
    from Nevada

Louvers

You have a valid point and I agree that to adjust the body would ruin the proportions. I will undoubtedly be doing a lot of head scratching on this one. Hell the only component I even own to pull this off is the engine I'd like to put in it. Which is a 1967 Pontiac OHC inline 6. I'd like to build a similar looking car but not necessarily an exact replica. Like I said though I am a long way from anywhere and really just wanted to gather what info I could on this beautiful car. Which I now have in spades. : -)