Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rights to the name "Detroit Dragway"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fat50, Aug 2, 2010.

1. fat50

fat50

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. I just bought a Detroit Dragway t-shirt from a vendor at Milan Dragway, so I'd check into this before you have problems.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Any copyrighted or rights reserved image should have the circle C or circle R or script wherever it reproduced.

The name Detroit Dragway may still be owned as a business name. Check with your county clerk or state office for registered owner of the name.

4. stinsonart

stinsonart

County Clerk is the way to go. Gil Kohn's family may still have copyrights.

5. resinjeff

resinjeff
    from detroit

check with national machine engine in southgate mi. as far as i know , they were the last to run detroit dragway

6. Deuces

Deuces

So, what's built on that strip now days??? Last I heard, walmart was using it for trailor storage....

7. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Not so. For quick reference check this site http://librarycopyright.net/digitalslider/ . Any time you want to reproduce something for profit do your due diligence as © fines are $50K per offense and ® Registered Trademark fines are $250K, both are plus damages should you be brought to trial and found guilty.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Interesting... I'd bet those offenses are not per printing run either but per Tshirt like the Federal gun laws.

9. FASI

FASI

Detroit Dragway is a registered corporation in Michigan.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Guys, if you don't know something for a FACT, don't post mis-information...

Anyhow, I just did a quick trademark search for "Detroit Dragway" on the USPTO's website.

ZMX and Dual Dragways are still LIVE, meaning still registered. I'm not sure of their relatedness, if any.

Motorcity Dragway is dead.

"Detroit Dragway" may be a corporation like FASI has said, but they have nothing registered with the government, as far as a registered trademark. That doesn't mean they cannot be protected trademark-wise if they have or use their products publically.

I can say without any doubt the first thing you'd get would be a cease and desist letter. Any legal action or fines begin when you're making money from producing something that is not your own. If you produce it for yourself, not to sell, you'd have no issue.

11. Harms Way

Harms Way

Motor City Dragway was owned by MHRA and I believe the name was copywriten or trademarked,... I am a member of the MHRA "Road Knights" We have a meeting tomorrow night. I will find out this information for you,... but it seems we went through this a few years ago, when somebody tried to bootleg the name & logo. We found out sole ownership belonged to MHRA.

12. -Brent-

-Brent-

They may own the name but the trademark registration is no longer live. Have a look at Tess.

Typed Drawing

Word Mark MOTORCITY DRAGWAY
    Goods and Services (CANCELLED) IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: photographs for clothing and related accessories, namely, T-shirts, jackets, sweatshirts, hats, shorts, socks and undergarments. FIRST USE: 19970300. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19970300
    Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
    Serial Number 75294365
    Filing Date May 19, 1997
    Current Filing Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Supplemental Register Date May 7, 1998
    Registration Number 2177676
    Registration Date July 28, 1998
    Owner (REGISTRANT) KRESS, DANIEL J. INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES 57420 Gratiot New Haven MICHIGAN 48048
    Attorney of Record WILLIAM H FRANCIS
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register SUPPLEMENTAL
    Live/Dead Indicator DEAD
    Cancellation Date May 1, 2005

13. Anybody on this forum should respect the MHRA and the Motorcity Dragway name. It belongs to MHRA because that is the right thing to do. If they have overlooked re-registering I hope it is taken care of and no one tries to usurp the name.
    Harms Way and MHRA are what this hobby is all about. They have been there since the beginning. I'm seventy and I raced at the motor city dragway when I was a kid.
    Most of the time if someone will contact the right folks they can get permission to use a name.

14. -Brent-

-Brent-

I agree. I really just wanted to be clear about a lot of bad info being put out. I would never suggest or imply that someone do anything illegal.

Personally, I think this thread is a waste. We're talking about stuff not related to hot rods or customs. But throwing out bad info has to be refuted.

15. Huge and I mean Huge warehouses. I believe they will be building the battery for the new Chevy Volt in on of the facilities there. I still think about that place. I spent many a Saturday with my Dad and than as Teen driver.

16. Deuces

Deuces

Last time I was there was back in '77.. There was some major event going on.. I remember seeing Tom "the Goose" McEwen in his gold Coors Vette funny car....

17. Harms Way

Harms Way

Thanks Hotrod40,...

As sad as this is, as I get older, I can see that Traditional Hot Rodding is good,... But I guess legal loopholes are better, especially where making a buck is concerned.

It's kind of funny in a way, The very first Detroit Autorama was conceived By the MHRA to raise funds so we could build the Drag strip, A lot of MHRA sweat equity went into making it a successful endeavor,... The art work was designed and voted on by committee and members, as well as the name of the Dragstrip.

The entire idea was to get kids to quit racing on the streets, and give them a safe venue, with timing equipment and tech inspectors,.. At that time there was a big public cry to ban Hot Rods altogether,... The first legal Drag Races in the Detroit area, was held by the MHRA, in Livonia. at a industrial area,... (name purposely not mentioned).

You guys know the story,... Anyway, This was all done by REAL Hot Rodders, FOR real hot rodders, and set up as non profit, The MHRA was lucky to cover all operating costs,...

So enjoy any Motorcity Dragway stuff you buy,... But I am still going to bring this up, and find out what happened,....

18. Harms Way

Harms Way

?????
    How could this not relate to Hot Rods ?

19. Deuces

Deuces