Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I-90 from Wyoming to Spokane through Montana...Anyone Driven it in a Hot Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bass, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. cracker head

cracker head

I'm not independently wealthy. And no you can't take my car ,now, dick.

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

For sure, no doubt about it.
    I found one of the cheapest places in Jackson Hole, and trust me none of them is cheap, is the Antler Inn. Nice place, not a flea bag and is one block from the main action which will allow you to walk around and stretch your legs the night you get there. Cowboy bar has shit food even though the place looks fun. Just have a beer there. There is a BBQ joint just south of town on the main road. Can't miss it as you'll pass it headin into town upon your arrival.

I did Missoula, MT to Jackson Hole, WY with some siteseeeing at a junkyard so you'll have no trouble at all keeping your timetable.

Check out my 2009 adventure thread. Spokane starts on page 13 and goes from there to Missoula, Jackson Hole, thru Wy to CO to the HAMB Drags. Just south of Bozeman, MT is a cool junkyard with no fence and no one caring if you walk around. You can't miss it it's right on highway 191 just south of town.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=386667&page=13
    You seriously need to stop and see Chris's stuff in Spokane, and Chaz and the Strange Days crew's new lakester in Missoula.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  4. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

The stretch up from Cheyenne to Casper Wyo is the most desolate stretch. Once you get past Casper on up to Billings and beyond is no problem. No slow steep grades on that route at all any more. Extra water and gas for sure. A spare tire if poss. I've made that trip 12 times in hamb friendly rigs, both stockers and rods. If you are starting with a good dependable driver it should be no problem.

5. You have to go..... I triple dog dare you!:D

6. Casper to Buffalo was a lonely stretch at one time. 120 miles with no nothing.

7. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

A long barrel 22 cal Hi Standard and 2000 Jack Rabbits at night made that stretch interesting tho. You could see the airline beacons 50 miles away and listen to good AM music from the station in Del Rio Texas.

8. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Sounds like an incredible trip. And I'd love to shoot a couple pics of your coupe on the open salt if you don't mind.

9. thaugen

thaugen

If you have ANY interest in guns, look up Winchester Museum, I think it's in Cody. The most interesting collection I've ever seen.

Can you pull a long steep grade at 6,000 feet behind a motorhome at 25 MPH without overheating? Then you can make it thru Yellowstone.

10. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, Bass if you are coming through Grand Junction,give me a holler,I'llshow you around.

11. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Speaking of Montana......

It was if not the only state at one time it was definately the last state that did not have any day time speed limit....I forget the exact wording but as long as it was clear etc no speed limit existed.....when you drive thru Montana you will certainily understand why!

I did a 9,000 mile road trip few years back in a frc Corvette (one suitcase) and my folks at the time and sisters lived just outside Spokane so I did go that route partially you are talking about.... I went up west coast and crossed over from Seattle to Spokane.. I think you will pass were General Custer made his last stand......his wife was fortunate that day and stayed home!

Its a very pretty area to say the least.....

Enjoy the ride, chances are you will have most of the road to yourself!

On my 9,000 mile road trip did it in 36 days only hit rain one day only got stopped once for speeding and was able to talk my way out of it.....plus I lacked a current insurance card at the time.

[email protected]

Satillite radio was just in its infancy....wish I had it on that trip Corvette did have a 6 changer CD in the trunk....My Vette was the fixed roof version that the ZO6 is based on so space was quite limited....

Corvette did not skip a beat...my family flew out to Vegas and met me there so I got to see them on the trip....I left from eastern PA.....

Something I always yearned to do.....great racing on those open roads.....at high speeds better hope your rpms are down in the 1500 to 2000 range!

[email protected]

Some interesting places in the Dakotas also Wall Drug, and a huge military cemetery also can;t member exactly where but quite visible from the interstate.......great country.......

Yes I did cover 9,206 miles to be exact......

12. bonesy

bonesy

Good luck Bass. Not at making it without incident - but keeping it only at 75 MPH in Montana.

13. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I just came in from the shop, and man it is freakin' hot today! 106 deg. outside, probably 126 in the shop.

Anyway, I've got most of the little stuff done that I wanted to get finished before the trip. Gotta change the oil and pack everything tomorrow, and should be ready to go Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the advice and all the help everyone!

14. Have a safe trip. Keep us posted. And hopefully the HAMB members you will run across will post BASS SIGHTINGS with pictures as the occur.

15. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Program my number in your phone, use it night or day 24/7. I've got over 600 HAMB members phone numbers at your disposal.
    Denise Sheldon 734-673-6930

16. Have a safe trip Brian. Make sure to have a good time in Tacoma. I miss the Swiss.. I will see you in Bonneville for sure. Sounds like a HELLUVA GOOD TIME TO ME! Dale

17. EXCELLENT advice! Some of the most beautiful country in Colorado is on 160 and 550. It will take more time, and you will never forget the scenery.

Ouray is the "Switzerland of America", don't miss it!

Now your taking a TRIP!

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

18. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Have a safe trip man! Hotrodarama is such a good time.

19. 56ih

56ih

I live in Bozeman, just went on a road trip today in the Galaxie. There are PLENTY of places to stop for gas along I-90. Homestake pass can be a little steep, but the freeway is 4 lanes and you can slide over to the right and be fine.

Honestly, i'd be more worried about driving through Wyoming than Montana. Think Nebraska but with fewer towns...at least Montana has scenery!!

20. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I've never done that trip in car, let alone a rod
    ( Jeeze, I wish :) ) but I've done it too many
    times to even count in a big truck. Most if it
    should be a beautiful ride in a 4-wheeler of any
    sort. If you can run any way near near 200
    miles on a tank of gas, I wouldn't worry about
    fuel and stuff as there's lots of truck stops along
    that route most or all at less than 200 mile
    intervals - even when you get into the wilds of
    Montana and Wyoming. When you're going
    through Montana on 1-90 east of Butte,
    watch for a place called 'Pipestone'. It 's a long
    winding grade, several miles long with some
    incredible scenery. When ever I was passing
    through there driving truck, I never had the time
    to stop and check anything out, but there's a
    couple of old abandoned railway tunnels and
    the remains of what appears to be an old
    narrow gauge mining railroad visible from the
    highway, near the top of Pipestone. I've always
    wondered where those tracks went and what
    might be at end of them. Probably an abandoned
    mine of some sort for sure - and who knows,
    maybe one or more adjacent ghost towns,
    that were attached to the mine - possibly
    with some untouched vintage tin still left
    there from the teens, twemties or thirties???

Mart3406
    ==============================

21. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GEEZ!!!----Methinks you are getting paranoid!!---Just stab it & steer it!!!----Enjoy the scenery!!!-------Don

22. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------------
    Yep...just remember to try and not feed the
    'bears'...you know, the kind that run up and
    down the 'big road in those funny-painted
    4-wheelers with the flashing blue light on the
    roof! Nasty things, sometimes those critters
    are!!:D

Mart3406
    =====================

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  23. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

cant say that ive done it in a hot rod...yet. But I do know that the wyoming stretch can get kinda thin on gas stations....same with eastern Montana when you get outta Billings. Its been 2004ish since Ive been on those roads.....watch out for the 4 legged I.E.D's...improvised explosive devices....4 legged being deer, antelope, elk, moose, bears...etc. At fast enough speed....they explode. Have a safe trip

24. Um, he is already heading toward the Salt, go read his road updates!