Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Go Gloveless?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jul 31, 2010.

1. river1

river1

i got used to wearing vinyl gloves at work, i work with INK so no brainer there. i developed a habit from the work glove use so i started using them at home. i still sometimes don't use them, but more often than not, i use em.

later jim

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the job. Yes for heavy, rusted, sharp stuff. No for oil, gas, etc...if you get oil or gas on your hands, you can wipe them off and wash 'em...gloves just get saturated. Tried med gloves...they rip the first time I remove a nut or something.

3. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Can you imagine we used to wash our hands in lacquer thinner at the end of the day to remove all the left over primer and paint from around our fingernails. I have been working on or around cars since 1964 and have never worn gloves of any type and started my career like many others as a grease monkey working the oil change rack and have never heard of anyone getting cancer of their hands anybody else ever hear of that one?

4. E HANSEN13

E HANSEN13

Im with you bro only in the winter...

5. Deuces

Deuces

I use a pair of the .99 cent brown jersey gloves for doing some heavy duty stuff, but most of the time I use my bare hands.. It helps also to have some shop rags. I buy the red shop rags fer a dime a piece new..

6. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I have some on hand but unless I'm washing a bunch of parts in the parts cleaner or stripping paint with chemicals, I never wear them.

I remember as a young guy the discussion of the mechanic that worked at the local Esso station. One guy thought that he was pretty good. The other guy scoffed at the idea..."He wears brown cotton work gloves. Ain't no mechanic worth a shit that wears gloves!" As I got to know him, I realized that he was right about this guy. He was just afraid to get his hands dirty.:D

I'm too old to change now. I've absorbed so many chemicals now all they will need is a match to cremate my remains.

I'm sure this will break down mostly by age. I bet most old farts don't use them but a lot of the young bucks are accustomed to them.

7. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most of the time not for general wrenching, But I wear welding gloves for Welding and cutting ,Latex for paint &laquer thinner to keep my finger tips from spliting , Oil mans gloves for acid washing rusty stuff and serious degreasing w/chemicals. Mechanics gloves for the larger stuff and old rusty things that I don't need to feel too much . but not in the house .

8. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Gloves are snow shoveling, specal gloves are for TIG welding.:)Ever wonder what type of germs are on the gas pump nozzel from the last customer?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Started wearing latex gloves about 15 years ago. They are easy to get used to and they sure do save your hands.

11. Winter, welding and grinding. Got a pair just for doing lube jobs but thats all.
    One of my old high school pals told me just yesterday that our auto shop teacher died a few years back from cancer caused by chemical exposure. Makes ya think...

12. redhawk74

redhawk74

ive never been able to work with blankets on my hands......

13. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

protection....never did til the twins arrived. And besides , gloves are cheaper then child support.
    only when asked to.

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

---------------------------
    Yep.....you never know these days.
    You don't know in who's, or even in
    how many, garages that car might
    have slept in before it came to you!
    :eek::eek:

Mart3406

15. BinderRod

BinderRod

Nothing worse than stinky finger:eek:

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not usually except when I remember to when I am welding. Mechanics gloves as we know them now didn't exist when I was doing front end work daily and I first wore gloves of any kind working in a Midas Muffler shop. Those cheap brown cotten jersey gloves that cost about a buck a pair or less work pretty good to keep the grabbers from getting burned. I wear the nitrile gloves at work every day but they don't hold up when working on engines.

17. aaggie

aaggie

After a lot of years I started using the Latex gloves when using nasty cleaners and paint stripper. They are cheap and the 67 year old calouses are getting softer. I keep a pair of leather work gloves next to the bench grinder for holding parts against the wire wheel. I also use the long cuff soft Goatskin gloves when TIG welding.

18. 45_70Sharps

45_70Sharps

Never tried gloves.

Some day I'll try a pair. I can't imagine using them all the time since you couldn't feel as well but they might be nice from time to time.
    I would kind of like a pair to keep in the car with me for those unexpected repairs where maybe I don't want to have that residual grease on my hands.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I have gotten use to them. Besides she likes my gloveless clean bare finger touch. ;)

20. Deuces

Deuces

Hell. I also have a pair of strapped black leather Italian racing gloves in the car for those cold mornings... :D

21. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Don't wear them for much at all. I worked in a steel rule die shop for 32 years. Steel rule dies are like huge razor sharp cookie cutters mounted sharp edge up on a die up to 18 feet long. The company had nice thin leather gloves to wear whemever you wanted them, they were literally all over the shop. I never got a single stich in 32 years (some people couldn't go 32 days without getting sewn up) The gloves would only prevent the smallest cuts and nicks, and for me they seemed to make you less aware of the danger and also made you more clumsy. Not good things around purposely sharp steel!!! I just got intothe habit of being aware of what my hands were doing all the time. The last job I did there before i retired was quality control; that meant checking every cavity (cookie cutter) on every die, could be up to 200 per die. You check them by placing a thin metal template on the cutting edge of the cavity to make sure it fit. that was impossible to do with gloves on and made customers cringe to watch me do it! :) (I watched many know it all customers bleed after they tried so show me how to do it!)

22. aceuh

aceuh

I work on an assembly line and my employer requires me to wear gloves and safety glasses. I shoot tiny screws and plug a couple wires with em on 8 hrs a day....once you get used to the "feel" you can do anything with em on.

23. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I use nitrile gloves when I'm painting and I hate the way my hands sweat. I use leather gloves when I'm welding and grinding. I occasionally use Mechanix gloves but I really rather work barehanded. I'm a white collar guy with blue collar hands. All you have to do is look at them to tell. :)

24. 53ash

53ash
    from Plano, TX

I don't usually think about them, till it's too late! I remember pretty well now when I get out the grinder with a cut-off wheel . Just about cut off a finger tip last month.
    And my wife hates it when I gotta scrape the little slag dots off my wedding ring.

25. tbill

tbill
    from central ny

been a wrench for a long time, tried using 'gloves' of every type, but couldn't get the 'feel' for them, which is ironic, as i've burned my fingertips on every manner of thing, yet can still 'feel' things, but can't with gloves. good, bad, or indifferent, my hands will remain naked:)

26. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

See, all the B.S. about "tradition" and then some Chumlee brings up the subject of wearing "Gloves" to work on cars. Nuts.

27. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My neighbour worked on diesel equipment and had to have his body chemical detoxed in the Hospital due to the absorption though the skin. The second time it was cancer and was to late. I use black lightning gloves in the wood and car shop when there is any liquids, oils or grease contact with my hands, and leather gloves when I weld. Life is to short and getting seriously sick to prove your a tough guy is not worth it.

jim h

28. dadseh

dadseh

Never wore gloves for 40 years ... gloves are for pussys, right??!! Now Im retired and in the shed all day long and have discovered that the wheel on the angle grinder hurts a lot less when I hit a gloved finger, my hands dont smell/burn as much after paint stripping with the wifes wash up Ansells on, and I dont have to run into the house yelling "MEDIC" as often as I used to.
    P.S. ... I dont squint so much now that I wear safety glasses to protect the one good eye I've got left!!!

29. rustdodger

rustdodger

I worked in hands on trades for years and seldom wore gloves. Now I do office work and my hands have lost their callases and are soft so I find myself scratched or bleeding from stuff that used to water of a duck (me being the duck ;) ). I still tend to start working without gloves by force of habit. I don't like the feel or lack of it when wearing gloves

30. 64LeSabre455

64LeSabre455
    from Adkins, Tx

Gloves are for Pussy's! Some of the chemicals we deal with can cause health problems, so it would be wise to wear some protection!
    Working in the medical field I always wear gloves. So when workin on my car, I borrow gloves from work. That way the patients won't see how dirty my fingernails are. The best gloves I have found, that are tough and durable are Black Talon Gloves From NARP.

http://www.narescue.com/Black_Talon_Gloves-CNC2076124A48B.html?BC=64393C540AB3
    [​IMG]