Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greenmoon70, Jul 29, 2010.

1. greenmoon70

greenmoon70
    from Indiana

I have hired out the finish paint work on my car. The guy picked it up on November 12th 2009. I gave him $2500.00 to get started. It is now July 2010 and he has primed the hood and grill so far. Thats it! I asked him to let me come get the car, refund all the money but what was fair for priming the hood and grill, and he said he was exempt from any judgements due to child support and that he couldn't give money back but promised to finish the car in a timely manor. That has been 3 months ago. He will not email me or answer my calls. Now I am fed up and want to hire an attorney to not only get my money back but to get a court order to make him be at his shop at a certain time so I can get the car. I have been by his shop randomly several times and either he will not open the door or he is not there.

Anyone know a good attorney or other advice?

thank you
    Jason
    Louisville area

2. wait in the parking lot for him to show up and get your car , bring a trailer if needed

3. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Camp out at his shop, and get your car. Don't sweat the money. Chalk it up to experience. You'll be doing better than some guys just to get your car back in one piece.

4. alchemy

alchemy

If it's a chunk of money he owes you back, the attorney is the smart way to get it out of him. You'll be out a bit by hiring the attorney, but it's less than if you just got the car and walked away.

Bring a bunch of big friends to get the car BEFORE you have the attorney send the letter.

5. greenmoon70

greenmoon70
    from Indiana

Thanks for all the good advice. I will post an update when something happens

6. 59 brook

59 brook

explain to the police and ask them to accompany you. make sure you have a trailer or tow truck ready to take it.

7. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

seems this is common for body shops everwhere, never give the money up front, pay based on what has been accomplished, you have to keep the em hungry good luck

8. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I've never heard that having a child support
    judgment against you - in any jurisdiction -
    somehow exempts you from all other debts
    and legal obligations. The guy's spouting total
    B.S. In fact, by screwing you out of both
    $2500 and your car, he's just dug his debt and
    legal hole that much deeper. By taking your
    money for the job up front, then not performing
    the work - and then holding your car as well,
    his "legal problems' have now gone beyond
    just being merely civil and financial and
    have crossed over into the criminal realm.
    Namely. fraud, theft and conversion
    to name just three. As a start, you need to get
    your car back immediately and then, have the
    guy charged criminally. He needs to
    be in put in jail for fraud and/or theft and/or
    conversion. He's fortunate because in some
    places and with certain people, the cops and jail
    would be the least of his worries and this further,
    deeper hole that he's now dug for himself would
    end up being exactly 6 feet deep, if you get my
    drift....'child support judgment' or not!

Mart3406
    ===============================

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

The money is well spent on your education; how to do business. Should have known better, but the good news is; now you know...........

Get the car back if you have to camp out with friends until he shows up at the shop. Be nice, don't give him any reason to claim you threatened him. You just want to see your car, check the progress, etc, Bring enough help to keep him 'occupied' whilst you take posession of your car.

10. killbilly

killbilly

$2500 IS a lot of money where I come from,his personal problems are not yours,he has no right to hold your car.:(

11. Retrieve your car legally. This has already turned into a bad experience, don't compound the issue. Pay for a lawyer to draw up the proper paper work, which will allow you to get your car back, with the police accompanying you. Ask your lawyer to tack on his fees in your judgement against the deadbeat, err body shop owner.

12. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

that happened to me once with a scooter. Trailered it home in pieces . The painter has since passed . (R.I.P.)
    I DID'NT WASTE MONEY ON LAWYER FEES.
    "THE CREW"

13. alterbob

alterbob
    from Butler,Pa.

Sorry to hear this, I am in a deal something like this $800 deposit at a machine shop. Crooks are every where, I've known this guy for about 20 years. Truck and trailer go get your car. yes let the police know. good luck

14. Never pay up front for labor.

15. tikistan

tikistan

I agree with 40fordpu. Do it legally for sure. Sounds like that piece of work has some experience with the system. Trying any other way but legally may just play into his way of life. It is a bummer losing dough! as if building a car isnt hard enough, then an idiot like that makes it tougher.Good luck getting your car back quickly.

16. strawberry

strawberry

the guy sounds like a pos, give him all the advertisement he deserves , including with the irs, good luck,

17. greenmoon70

greenmoon70
    from Indiana

Update. I got the car back finally. He avoided me for a month and a half, stood me up a few times and was extrememly late the night I got the car which I had to pay the roll back double... I got all parts but 1 qt. of paint. I filed a warrant for his arrest for theft by deception on the money. While at the Hall of Justice I was able to see this guys rap sheet of 10 pages. He just did a woman the same way in April, but it was dismissed. I guess he gave her the car and or money back. I can't wait for the guy to go to jail for a felony. He did apologize for what that was worth and said he would make it right but just another lie in this f-ed up story. Anyway if anyone is about to have work done by this guy please do not!!! Tell all your friends!! He has several old cars in his shop so plenty of hot rodders are to be burned. I am gonna call the consumer proctective agency next. I doubt he is legal, but they will be able to give him some grief. thanks again to all who gave advice. I learned a hard lesson here.

His name:
    Robert Patrick Mauney
    Mauney Motorsport
    Louisville Ky.
    502-424-9356

shop location as of now
    2210 Woodland Ave.
    Louisville, Ky.

18. Biggivey

Biggivey
    from Kentucky

The pos got me to. I should have been suspicious when i seen your car there then it was gone. This wipe had my t bird for 6 months . Id say a good 10 excuses and cost me about 1500 more then the estiment. He laid my new chrome bumbers face down on the concrete amd scratched the crap out of my bumpers.

I finally removed the car. Got home found my license plate on someone elses car my battery had been removed , interior covered in dust. Had mice take up house in my car . My top on the car was interior material . They used counter lamenit glue. I had cracks DA scratches , no taillight bulbs missing clips and parts .
    For some reason my matching set of dayton tires were now mismatched. I told him if he pulls crap with me ill tell everybody . Yep everybody.

He keeps putting ads on craigslist i take the
    Right back off and post the kind of work he does

19. Biggivey

Biggivey
    from Kentucky

this saga never ends . Mauney motorsports was evicted by their landlord . when this happen mauney sent out e mails to everybody that had cars saying your on your own . he took $2500 deposit from a soldier to redo a 66 mustang. sent the soldier an e mail saying sorry bout your luck ,no money nothing and your car is about to be impounded and sold at police auction if its not picked up in a couple of days .

the soldier is in afganistan. he took his car there in june of 2010. hasnt been touched other then grinding the paint off the quarter. i talked to the soldier who has no family around and agreed to pick up the car and store it for him until he gets back .

i am now in a project with several clubs and a major local ford dealer getting the car redone for the soldier as a surprize. i also keep getting dumbass phone calls . hes putting his buddy or someone up to it . made the mistake of calling me jimmy , only mauney called me that . dumbass .

the mustang should be done in time to present it to the soldier when he gets home at the carl casper car show in feb .

20. BJR

BJR

the mustang should be done in time to present it to the soldier when he gets home at the carl casper car show in feb .
    Biggivey You sir are a Saint. You got fucked by this guy and still went the extra mile to bail out a serviceman who also got fucked. PLUS you are getting his car fixed for him when he gets back. Hats off to you. Viva la HAMB

21. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Biggivey, way to go! You're making a wonderful thing out of a situation that sucked for all involved. Props to you, we need more folks like ya!

22. brad chevy

brad chevy

First thread I have seen that started about a sorry SOB and turned into a thread about a real-stand up guy. And the goodguys Hamb name is just what he did. Biggivey a salute to you,well done.

23. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

Good show, Keep us posted as to what is done . maybe some before and after? and for sure when you give it back to him. wouldn't want to miss the look on his face.

24. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I've heard of this happening all too often. There must be something about body and paint guys. I know all of them are not this way but there seems to be a lot. I've never been able to get a body and paint guy to sign a contract. They want the money up front and for me to just trust them to do the right thing....

25. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Now THAT is a cool thing to do. You are a good man! I bet that good stuff comes your way because of your actions.

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I once traded a load of parts for paint and metal work. Gave the guy my stuff up front and two years later my car still sat unfinished. I picked it up and paid someone else to do all the metal and prep work. I then stupidly took it back to the first guy for the paint and I ended up with runs in the paint! Lesson learned.

27. jc62

jc62

Very wise advice !!

28. cederholm

cederholm

You are a gentleman sir and have my full respect! I lift my glass to you!

~Carl

29. 48SuperConvert

48SuperConvert
    from Seattle

Biggivey....Way to go...what a class act!!!!
    Make sure to update us when the serviceman picks up his ride.

30. rrbrucea

rrbrucea

Yes, what he said!