Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone Else Go Gloveless?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Jul 31, 2010.

1. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Just cleaned up after a day in the garage with the Healey. Required a good scrub-up with GoJo. I'll use Mechanix gloves for heavy duty, nasty work, but for the most part my hands are as naked as the day I was born. I just don't feel comfortable in nitrile gloves or cloth gloves for everyday wrenching. I find they get in my way in tight spaces or deaden the feel for starting nuts, etc. Anyone else that thinks it doesn't "feel right" with protection?

2. Kinda like showering in a raincoat.

3. kingpins

kingpins

yea it feels better without protection:D

4. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Sometimes its better to wear protection with a car that been around the block a couple of times

XD lol

5. caper150

caper150

6. i used to think this way....but after 7 years of wrenching on hot, fresh in off the hiway semi's....drivers and the young wrenches there all get bug eyed when they see me picking up small washers or nuts off the shop floor when wrenching...with impact type gloves on, not brand, just the padded ones for air tools....
    but everyone there always tell me i have short fat claws for fingers.:eek:...i guess i've adapted to wearing gloxes...them fuckin trucks come in so hot!!!:mad::mad:....i find myself looking around for 1 of the 3 sets in the garage when i work on Lil Beast....but then i been doing alot of the fab work...weld, cut , grind and repeat:p

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

harsh chemicals, solvents, strippers, carb cleaner, acids etc. I use heavy black chemical gloves
    welding, grinding or exposed to cuts and bumps yes, leather usually
    keep a pair of mechanic's type nomex in the truck for misc. dirty work

for general engine etc. work no, not enough anyway.

8. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

I know a lot of guys are using latex gloves for basic jobs like oil changes and such. I seem to remember a similar thead about a year ago. A couple guys mentioned knowing guys who got cancer in their hands from working with used motor oil all those years. A big loss when you're involved in a hobby that for the most part, takes getting your hands dirty from time to time.

9. Ya need protection on head jobs as well.:D

10. crapshoot

crapshoot

gloves aren't traditional :D !!!! . the only time i wear gloves is in the winter.

11. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I use the latex rubber med gloves .... sometimes. Depends on the job. I do more welding than wrenching so my TIG gloves usually get shit canned because I'm lazy & won't change them out.

PACO

12. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I almost always wear nitrile gloves if I am painting, or working on a really disgusting car. The feel doesn't bother me so much anymore. As a hobbyist, its no big deal to keep your hands presentable when you're doing occasional work, but when you do it all day, every day, it helps preserve the hands a lot. I wear an old set of Mechanix Impact gloves for the heavier stuff (drivetrain and suspension work mostly), and of course welding gloves for welding.

13. Cymro

Cymro

Normally I only wear gloves when using harsh chemicals or working on diesels, but I must be getting old as I found a couple of winters ago even the very thin latex type glove helps to keep your hands warm.

14. I haven't worn protection in years, don't wear gloves either ;) I don't like the feel of either one :cool:

15. fbama73

fbama73

Only for harsh chemicals (and I mean REALLY harsh), when I know I'm gonna be banging my hands on rust, or hot work. That goes for work as well as garage

16. I have tried to use gloves, nitrile,latex, canvas,rubber...just can't stand them,can't feel what I am doing.Hell, after all these years of chemicals like paint remover,acid,lacquer thinner and other solvents,my skin is so much like leather anyway that I can't see the point of it anymore.I only use them on the grinding wheel where stuff gets to hot to hold.

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I use no gloves for working on the car but I wear the thickest toughest gloves I can find when working on the turd pipes. Never caught Hep on a car.

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Just on hot stuff. Or glass....

19. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Never wear gloves ,Have a box in the cabinet ,Even while metal prepping ,Im just stubbornly stupid.

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

Work on fleet of diesels and learned along time ago to wear the gloves even bought a heatproof sleeve that goes up past my elbow for turbo and exhaust repair,works good but don"t use gloves on the hotrod after working on diesel engines all the time car stuff seems so small.just don"t need them.

21. rusted_nut

rusted_nut
    from Arkansas

I never use protection, and haven't caught anything yet. It's all in picking the right project...

22. Truckedup

Truckedup

I use leather gloves for heavy work with bigger wrenches where a slip can be a bloody mess .

23. chevyshack

chevyshack

I only wear gloves when i break out the torch. I dont even wear any when i weld unless im laying under the car and welding above. I once used chassis savor without gloves the first day. Bad mistake! Crap didnt come off for over 2 weeks! p.s. for those that dont know its a generic por-15 but single stage.

24. metalix_421

metalix_421

im with him ^^^

25. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Only use them when using POR 15 or a heat wrench

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  26. 6-71

6-71

I wear gloves for just about every job.I buy cheap gloves at the swap meets,and when they get greasy or worn,I just throw them out and put on a new pair.I have been doing chassis and front end work for 40+ years and the gloves have saved. a lot of skin over the years.I keep a box of nitrile gloves right inside the garage door,and seldom enter the garage without some type of protection. I have my share of scars,but once I got used to wearing gloves I dont feel comfortable without them. So in answer to your question,NO,I dont go gloveless.

27. ratfink56

ratfink56

never used gloves and I'm o

28. 61falcon

61falcon

i wear the latex exam style gloves everyday at work. saves time, protects me from absorbing the chemicals through my skin and it keeps my hands looking semi decent. after wearing them for so many years i feel naked without them.

29. no gloves for me thanks i AINT no stinkin glory boy technition im a proud shadetree grease monkey

30. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I like to wear gloves when I stick my finger in the rearend. Stinks less.