Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB "Vintage" Tool Box Club

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by daveydeuce, Dec 3, 2006.

1. shelby1

shelby1
    from Lillian,Al

Here is the other pic, dam Gulf Coast had a power spike just as I was trying to up load pics.

Attached Files:

2. Not sure if I posted this before but here goes:
    Bought at a yard sale about a week ago full of old Ford script tools and others.Super heavy gauge steel and it sort of looks like a Model T Ford hood.Five dollars for everything.Still don't know if I'm going to re-finish it or leave as is.

Attached Files:

3. Jettback50

Jettback50

My latest find is this Kennedy. I was t_h_i_s close to buying a similar Craftsman that was missing the front door. While I was thinking about how I was going to make that one work I saw this. Is has better slides, the door, and is even built a bit heavier. It is just missing the front lock, which is OK because most guys have lost the keys anyhow. Not sure when to find a new lock.

This might finally be nice enough to have a professional lay some nice stripes on it.

Attached Files:

4. Couper

Couper

Well out of shear curiosity, since finding info on these Kennedy's is scarce, I would try to contact the company. To my surprise I actually got a reply. The lady simply said send us a pic and we'll try our best to date your box. Wow! A company that actually cares about their history. So I sent my pics and the qualities that seemed different and she told me she looked through the company museum pictures and consulted the company old timers (including herself that she has been there for over 30yrs) and their best estimate is the mid 30's!!! Awesome. She even sent me some pictures of older boxes. I suggest if you see one of these guys snatch it up.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50984112@N04/sets/72157624152053053/

5. Nice to hear they that they took an interest in helping you out. The Kennedy factory is only an an hour or so away from me but I haven't been over that way for a few years. They used to have an occasional "garage sale" at the factory where they'd sell overrun and blemished boxes. Last time I was there they had some beautiful stainless cabinet boxes which I'm guessing were made for medical and surgical equipment. Looked like they might have been used to outfit ambulances. They weren't giving them away but I'm sure they were beating retail! And they wuz real purdy! :D

If you're ever going thru the Van Wert, Ohio area it might be worth stopping by. Assuming that it's still in the same place it was a neat old factory building and they did have a small museum area and showroom. Don't know if they ever offer any kind of tours though.

6. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I bought one of the Craftsman chests last year, I was told they were built by Kennedy for Sears.

Attached Files:

7. sizzler646

sizzler646
    from Michigan

I just picked up a vintage Craftsman tool box from a lady moving some stuff to a garage sale. She had a fridge, air compressor and this tool box to move to a garage sale she was having. I seen it and took a liking to it and she said I could have it for moving the stuff for her so not a bad deal for FREE!! Its deffinetly showing its age but all in all still in great shape!

Attached Files:

8. Jettback50

Jettback50

Yep, the one I saw didn't look like that but I bet it was a lower end model made for Sears.

Here are a few others I found over the last few weeks.

Attached Files:

9. uberschall

uberschall
    from The D

keeping the thread alive, following up to my previous post...

after some exhaustive research and a few emails to the awesome people at graco, i have identified the "mystery box" as a 1948 graco porto-bench.

[​IMG]

i'm in the middle of restoring it now - probably not to exacting originality but much better than i got it, anyway.

10. I used to have an old Snap-On top box that my Dad gave me when I went off to college. I didn't have any tools of my own (and why....because I lived at home and had every tool imaginable). It was probably '60's era. Eventually my tools outgrew the little top box and he traded me a roller and a big top box for it. He's still got the old box at home.

11. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

My dad bought that same box when he was a kid in 1961 or so.

-Brad

12. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

This one might be a little off topic. My great grandfather was a carpenter around the turn of the century. This was his work box he made himself...

Attached Files:

13. DrewDay

DrewDay
    from Austin, Tx

I picked this up at a garage sale today. It belonged to the ladies dad who died awhile back and i scored it with the tools in it for $40. From what i can tell it looks like in that little circle area it says Huot. I think its amazing that the cover was still intact, and the paint had been protected. It appears to have been repainted red because i see drips. But i was wondering if anyone has any info on this brand, what they looked like new? Era? I can see huot but its not embossed in the metal so im assuming there is a decal underneath. Anyways, heres the pics and im not trying to be a photowhore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I just got this one. It is a Lincoln Engineering service center with all of the trim. Of course it needs to be completely re-finished but it is nice and straight.

When I get around to doing the resto I will post up some shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GuyW

GuyW

Take good care of that - its very, very kool.

16. x2; beautiful in-laid wood work; a lost art..........

17. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Found this i picked up for 20$ dont really know the age.

Attached Files:

18. Ramblur

Ramblur

Just snagged this one for free...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Here's a box my best friends grandfather made me when I was about 8yrs old. I had one that my grandfather made but it was stolen,so he made me a replacement. I used it for a model box,and still do,when I have the time.
    [​IMG]

Check out all the old ROTH,gumball stickers!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  20. I have his old tool box he made when he was a teenager too. I'll have to dig it out and post it.

21. That's a bit of an odd duck, isn't it?:confused: Don't think I've ever seen one quite like it before. Looks to be a machinist's chest more than a mechanic's box. Wonder how long they made them since it seems that Kennedy has pretty much owned that business since, like, forever. :rolleyes:

Little more "streamlined" looking than the Kennedy stuff, too. Nice find, especially for the price!:D

22. Ramblur

Ramblur

Good call ClayMart. Union has been around since 1898 and started out with
    wood chests and seems that they started building steel ones too in the 40's.
    I just found this link over on Garage Journal.
    http://machinistchest.com/site/product_details.php?category_id=13&item_id=20

23. fordsoup

fordsoup
    from Altadena

I have a pretty cool Kennedy toolbox that dates back to the late 40's. It belonged to my grandad and it's also the name of my daughter.

24. machinistchest

machinistchest
    from N.Texas

It`s a old Gerstner with some New nickel trimmings...MC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

smells like spam to me... so go ahead Read This First!
    do an intro and be here for the right reasons... :eek:

26. Here's my newest one:No maker's name but it looks to be from the 1930's.Made of wood covered with fake leather and reinforced nickel plated corners.Inside is a four tier(two per side)shelf system with dividers and the whole thing lifts out.When I found it it was filled with fishing lures but I don't think that was it's original function.In excellent condition and reasonably priced($35).Will be my new travel box.

Attached Files:

27. Mondo454

Mondo454

Delco Tool Box - Pre 1970's
    My Grandfather used to have this in his shop. He kept all his electrical and tune up stuff in it.

It's got real cool Logo Handles on it. Two Drawers inside and a large storage area on top of the drawers and in the doors. I didn't want to ruin it by trying to repaint it.

It has mounting holes on top and on the back for mounting on wall or under a cabinet. Or it can just go on top of your roll away.

Attached Files:

28. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My latest garage sale find - MAC 16-drawer cart full of MAC & S-K tools, as well as twelve good pneumatic tools, majority of 'em MAC. Not too shabby for $500 and free delivery to my shop.

[​IMG]

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

This reminds me of the early TV repair mans kit when they came to your house to fix the TV. (That sure tells my age.) Lots of tubes in the trays with the meters and tools in the lower part.