Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

does anyone know an old michigan sprint car driver by the name of carl misskottin,or where he is from or where he is located at now

2. cars5752

cars5752

Anyone remember this sprinter. It was driven by a gentleman named Bill Teeters and I believe he was from Muncie, In. It's a 1972 Lloyd Shores chassis. I'm trying to get history, but cannot locate Mr. Teeters.

Attached Files:

3. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Taken from the racershub.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Hinchliffe Stadium Racing Expo
    This years show is shaping up to be the best one yet. The Pados brothers will be broadcasting their Carquest Gasoline Alley Show from the Stadium. DJ Joey Metro will again be deejaying the show. The Flemington Speedway Historical Society will be taking part in the show.

We have a wide array of vintage and modern day (Both open cockpit & stock) race cars taking part in the show and can accomodate more.

If you would like to take part in the show, please contact Ronny Dennis (718)344-0502. ---- It is FREE to enter the show.

This years show will take place on Sunday September 5, 2010.
    Gates open to paticipants at 10 am
    Show starts at 12 noon and runs all day

Admission is FREE.
    The Hinchcliffe Old Timers segment of the show runs between 1pm-5pm

Hinchliffe Stadium is located in Paterson, N.J., on the corner of Liberty St. and Maple St. next to the Great Falls.

The future of Hinchliffe Stadium and the possibility of the return of auto racing to this historic facility is looking brighter than ever.

Come out and show your support for the Stadium. While your there you can check out the Great Falls Festival. There is something for everyone.

See you at the SHOW!
    (Ron Dennis)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  4. casper

casper

A friend of mine just called me and said he was going to sell his early 30's flat tail midget. I listed it in the classifed section for him. If you are looking for a really nice early car, here is the link
    <!-- message -->Completely restored and beautiful, this car is very historicly significant. I am listing this for a friend that does not have internet access. If you have any questions, please call Dan (559) 291-2242 between 11:00a.m and 7:00p.m PST. Thanks! (here is a link to some pictures)
    http://www.vft.org/RouitMuseum/Gallery/Midgets.html
    <!-- / message -->

5. Just watched Amer. Pickers on Hist. Channel (26th). Anyone have info on
    gentleman who had lots of antique cars & other misc. memorablia which
    included an old sprint car, white, #99, prob. 30's to early 40's.
    The location was in Kansas. Just wondered,
    mlight9.

6. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

That episode was THE BEST! Did you also see the two '33 Willys gassers, the funny car, the AA/Altereds too? That guy has a priceless collection of automotive history there. Oh, beautiful sprint car too.

7. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

I need two rebuild kits for 7/8 airheart master cylinders as below. Any one have them or where I can find them.

Attached Files:

8. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Attached Files:

9. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

10. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

I also was able to see Rich Vogler run many laps. I was fortunate enough in 1982 to get apicture with Rich, as well as Mel Kenyon and Dave Scarborough at Tampas Golden Gate Speedway,those were the good ole day's. Also Josh it was nice to finally meet you at beech bend during the hot rod reunion.

Attached Files:

11. Sedan Man

Sedan Man

The location is Eldorado, Kansas one of his companys is Hotrod Bail & Bonding---316-321-4600---- I think his name is Larry Nail

12. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

My wife and I watch American Pickers together, and that episode nearly brought me out of my chair.

14. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

I've been watching the show all along waiting for this scenario to occur. Figures the one week I miss it this happens!

15. KKx125

KKx125

Try TOL-O-MATIC Ph763 4788000 toll-free 800 3282174 Speedy

16. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Haven&#8217;t seen any mention of the Vintage Sprint and Midget Nationals going on in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Belleville</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">KS</st1:State></st1:place> this Saturday and Sunday.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
    This is the 100<SUP>th</SUP> anniversary of the track.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    They are expecting about a hundred cars.
    <o:p> </o:p>
    http://highbankedvintageracing.com/VintageNationals.html

17. Steve Bonesteel

Steve Bonesteel
    from Clovis, Ca

Thanks, I feel stupid, should have looked at Speedway Motors first for the rebuild kits.

18. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Most likey it ran with the WRA. Washington Racing Assoc. In that time period (early 70's) they were not running cages. Most of the roadsters up here were running cages as super mods except for that group. Unfortunately there were were many cars running those Tipke style noses around this area. Jerry Day might be able to help identify it. PM me for his E mail.

19. Racer12

Racer12

What about the time at IRP in Vances sprint car and the left side dzus button came out. He drove and WON the feature one handed while holding the hood down so he could see. Also the first race when Salem re-opened, he was in the Miller 65 car. It was an old car even then (87or 88) well he won that day over a field of upright sprints, roadsters, and oswego style mods! I remember a couple of car got together in front of us on the backstretch and one went out tof the ballpark. And yes I belive it was 125% he got out of every car! lol

Bob

20. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

John

Russ Lewellen did a piece on the 'restored' Lowther sprinter that was in the PA Museum in the Feb. 1992 issue of Open Wheel Magazine...

I recall Lowther telling me he got the car back in 1986, and had it reassembled from what was left of it. The car, as it appeared in the museum, had a 110 Offy in it, as Ed was trying to locate a 220 at the time. The original Offy was sold to A.J. Foyt after the 1960 season. I also recall the paint and lettering (number font) was just not correct on the restoration.

If memory serves me correct the chassis was sold to Don Carnes when PRA ran the supers for one year. I can't recall who the original driver (Dale Johnson?) was, but I remember Gus Linder in the car at Heidelberg, before he took over for Herb Scott in the Banas rail job.

Dave Lundy then got the ride, and won a ton of races in 'The Deuce', before moving on to the Swiontek #12, following the death of Jim Seese.

J.D. Leas also drove the car, and if memory serves me correct it ended its competitive days with Pete Cassella as the #91. Which would jibe with your story of the pile of parts coming out of the Weirton, WV area.

Interesting note on the magazine article: It features a Ken Coles photo of the car at Heidelberg during the 1960 USAC race. Driver is listed as Jack Rounds, but it was local favorite Don Dahle who was behind the wheel that day.

BTW... What ever became of the Lowther #77 midget, which was also restored? Remember when he had a two-car midget team?

these were my favorite cars as a kid growing up...

Love the good old days...;)

LM

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  21. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

Sorry, the above post re: the Lowther car was in reply to John Stickley's thread .

I forgot to post his quote...duh.

LM

22. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

23. racer5c

racer5c

not to menion the time he ran 2nd at Terre Haute I can't remember who's Sprint Car it was but he ripped the belly pan off and was runnin the cushion with nothing holding his feet in the car but the pedals

24. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

I also got to see the race in 1987 at Salem I wonder whatever happened to the Miller Car

25. KKx125

KKx125

A Kurtis Offy Lowther Midget recently was sold Down Under, It was yellow #88 now in Sydney AUSTRALIA Stand on it , Speedy.

26. baldtireman

baldtireman

I think it was a Trevis -Craft car. Ed Demmy from Butler,Pa. knows a lot about them. Maybe he knows... John:confused:

27. larrymatt

larrymatt
    from Johnstown

The #88 was the team car to the #77 that was normally driven by Van Johnson.

The car had a 'reverse' paint scheme at one time ... red with yellow flames.

Lowther had sold it to a fellow home builder, and Bobby Deitrich, a pretty fair stock car driver from Pittsburgh, had a terrible flip at Heidelberg on the front stretch during an ARDC event.

I also recall the #77 being sold, and running as the 'Patterson Offy' in ARDC during the '60's...

Thanks for the info...

LM

28. The time he climbed the wall at Eldora in a Champ car, came down, gathered himself, and chased Kinser to take the lead again!

In OkC, Shane Carson got the biggest win of his OkC Fairgrounds career by passing Vogler on the last lap in 1986. It was a huge win for Shane, but it took someone like Vogler to make it that big of a deal.

29. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I picked Rich in the NSSN poll about greatest midget drivers a couple of years back. I still feel that way, as much as I admire Mel Kenyon. The man was one of those that didn't get in a race car - he put it on and wore it.

30. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found some shots from the Indy mile.....Rich

Attached Files: