Register now to get rid of these ads!

older mopar LA engine help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by makgreens, Jul 28, 2010.

1. makgreens

makgreens

been working on my 64 dodge truck that has a 69 ply 318/727
    recently converted to EI and things just went from there

ive been having an oil leak issue prior to EI,i thought it was coming from my oil pan so i decided to throw a new gasket in and see how that worked.
    also prior to this i was getting oil blow back out of the dipstick tube and thought maybe i wasnt venting the crankcase well enough

well fast forward to today when i finally got the gasket in and got everything all pretty and painted and put everything on. go to start the truck and nothing. itll turn over but not fire, so i was guessing there was something wrong with the choke (previous problem) and decided to jump the solenoid so i could watch the motor and so on..
    still not firing and noticed its still leaking oil so im guess its the rear main seal..which sucks cause i dont have the ability to pull the motor right now.

the biggest issue im having besides that is there is air being blown out the oil dipstick tube...im at a loss on why its doing this

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

2. Kevinb71

Kevinb71

You don't really give enough info to help with the no start situation, but air being blown out the dipstick usually would indicate "very" bad rings or a broken piston. Does the engine make any noise that is unusual or miss? A compression test would tell you which cylinder.

3. makgreens

makgreens

thats what i was thinking but the kicker is before i started to fix all these little issues it was my daily driver and it started right up 2 days ago before i took the oil pan off....but it had blowback once it got warm

im more worried about the oil stuff...i think my pieced together EI still has some bugs

4. Kevinb71

Kevinb71

If the oil leak issue popped up that quick did you by chance when working on the ignition remove the distributer and the Oring that is around the distributer not go back in or get cut and the is coming from there and running down the back of the block?
    On the EI is the gap set right between the reluctor(part on the distributer that turns) and the pickup? Did it hit the pickup and damage it?
    I have attached a wiring diagram for the ignition that i "borrowed" from the Mopar engine book. Hope it helps!

Attached Files:

5. makgreens

makgreens

im not getting spark so ill have to track that down
    the coil and plug on it were corroded pretty bad....but the coils putting off spark...but theres no spark at the plug

6. George

George

Hows your PCV valve? If it's clogged up, kinked hose, ect, it'll blow out the d/s tube or a main seal. I've seen either happen. Ignition: Are you getting fire to the plugs?

7. brad chevy

brad chevy

You did put the rotor back in didn"t you? also check your coil wire.

8. makgreens

makgreens

nothing was distrubed after i turned the truck off

i ran about a day without my pcv valve hooked up....so i think i blew the rear main seal..which sucks

9. George

George

Call it a learning expierience!:)

10. makgreens

makgreens

hopefully not a painful one

11. I'm not good at acronyms so I had to read a bit to figure out what EI is. :eek:

If you're getting spark at the coil the most obvious question is did you remember to put the rotor back in? I would pull the cap and see what is amiss inside there prior to spinning it over much.

OK not being an ass its just a common mistake. But I'm guessing that you didn't pull the dizzy to get at the oil pan.

As far as blowby and puffing air at the dip stick I'm going to suggest that your first test should be the PCV valve. Ideally you should have a mild vacumm on your crank case whick a PCV causes at idle or a road draft tube causes when going down the road. Pull the PCV and shake it it should rattle. Your road draft tube if you are using one instead of a PCV will sometimes get clogged with gunk. Pull it and make sure all the orifices are open.

You still have a blowby problem which is an indication of weak rings or a bad piston as had been mentioned. That is also not optimum but I have seen the older LAs go a long time after starting to blow by. So its going to be something you will have to live with until you can get it together and overhaul it. A can of Casite Motor Honey will help the situation in most cases. It is not an overhaul in a can but you can use it to get by until you are prepared to do the right thing.

12. makgreens

makgreens

im glad the first things i checked were the main things everyone suggested:rolleyes:...makes me glad i paid attention to all the people who have helped me in the past
    ive been working on LA's for awhile now and never had this issue...mainly cause ive had decent engines i knew the history of...unlike this one

13. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

:) Before you get into pulling the rear main seal, check the oil pressure sending unit. It is on the back of the engine behind the intake manifold beside the distributor. It is down there out of site and hard to see. I have had them leak on some of my Mopars in the past, and they will run oil down the back of the engine and make it LOOK like the rear main seal is leaking! (Experience speaks. LOL);)

14. makgreens

makgreens

well funny thing

thats where it was leaking from when i got the truck and thought it was the rear main....il check it again cause i replaced it already ha