Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Blam

Blam

Man, thanks Hellfish! That's exactly the kinda info I was needing. I first planned on running with the 240 until it died, the only reason I was thinking of swapping so soon is because I don't know what it will be like on a long road trip running down the highway day after day with those low gears, I mean at about 60mph it sounds like she is gonna burst into flames!! Can I just change the gearing or is that 240 not going to be able to handle to high of gears?

2. crayform

crayform
    from phx, AZ

I dig the pop-out windows and classy paint. That attract some tail for sure!

3. virtualvanner

virtualvanner

At $6000 he's not giving this away, he's getting top dollar. If you would rather have a normal sized Econo this isn't the one to trade your project on.
    The Supervans are fairly rare because no one really cares to fix them up.

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

That could be said for all Econolines... until recently. I thought bikers liked the long ones because it was easier to haul bikes with them. Maybe not. That orange one is in nice condition, but if it's not what you really want...

Pop-out windows are awesome, but no one makes the rubber for them.

Blam, I don't know. I would think the 240 could handle anything, but you'd be better off changing the gears in the rear or changing transmissions. 9" Ford rear gears can be had fairly cheaply in any gear combo, so I'm sure you could tame it for highway cruising. I put 3.50 POSI gears in mine. :D

5. BigScott666

BigScott666
    from East Coast

Let me know if anyone has a set of SLOTS for a 64 Econoline.

6. Tat-2

Tat-2
    from SoCal

Anyone looking for info on these vans might give these guys a try....They are mostly a Ford Econoline type of people...The Inland Vans Berdoo..
    mailto:[email protected]
    Mailing address: Steve Portias, Inland Vans, 3145 Crescent Ave., San Bernardino, Calif. 92405
    They are the guys who started the original van craze back in the late 60's early 70's with the customized vans and that led to Millions of sales for Ford Dodge and Chevy ..And have been inducted into the Routee 66 Hall of Fame and also receive recognition for their starting the craze from the Government.

7. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

Hey y'all!
    I'm looking for the 6'' circle side view mirrors, for the '61-'63 Econolines. If anyone has any, please contact me here or my regular email would get a faster reponce. Many thanks!!

Dallas
    [email protected]

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

Dallas, try Mac's. They have them brand new.

9. Church

Church
    from South Bay

new T shirt in the making......

Attached Files:

10. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

11. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

Hey Hellfish,
    I figured you would have a lead. I really dig your Econo and your threads/posts! I'll try them again. I called them already and maybe I got the wrong person on the phone. When I asked very specificly, she said they didnt have anything but "some" suspension parts. Then directed my to what she called the "Econo Store". The formal name for that outfit is "PartsTrain". These people are all fuckin stupid! And I'm being as polite as posible. They said that they had them and I ordered two. Not what I wanted. They are 6" circle mirrors but, the heavy magnified ones, as if I were gonna attach them to my, already inplace, side view mirrors when I pull my goose neck trailer. What a headache bro... I knew you guys would know what's up. Sorry for the rant and many thanks for the responce. I'll try again.

Church,
    Damn dude! Your Econo is SO next level. I've always admired your style and artwork.
    Much respect. I hangout on L.B.'s site too. Please save me a large when you print your first batch of shirts for VanGo.

I plan on posting some pics of my six duece Econo in a few days... maybe this or next weekend. Me and my homeboys installed a 4'' dropped and narrowed 2'' beam with disc breaks on the front and flipped the rear axel. 14'' polished slots with pinner whites, 302/C4/9inch. Pretty dope! Thanks again guys for the help.
    Dallas.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

Wow. YES post the dang pics, Dallas! :D

I saw the mirrors that I *think* you're looking for in the Mac's print catalog, but they're listed for the F100, NOT the Econoline, IIRC. Mac's has a pretty good selection of Econo stuff, but it's mostly mechanical. The F100 mirrors may not exactly match the Econo originals, but they're pretty close

Here's one option. Doesn't quite fit the boxiness of the Econo, but still nice and probably what I'll use since my stupid JC Whitney big mirrors RUSTED in 1 week of being outside.

[​IMG]

13. Dallas

Dallas
    from Tampa Fla

THat's a great idea. I'm looking into the Mac's F-100 mirrors. They seem "close enough" to the profile that I'm looking for. I have the posts with the 3 screw holes. Something will come together.... Many thanks for the examples Hellfish.

14. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

just change the gears and go with somthing like 3.73's the 240 should have plenty of power with the 3spd.
    p.s. if your waiting for the 240 to blow up u may be waiting a while theese sixes are stout even without oil on a 90 degree day.

15. Ive got a 62 pu thats well on its way to being a gasser. It has sbc zz4 and 700r4 with 9in with 3 55 gear. Will be my shop truck.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

This one made the scene last night at the Southwest Nostalgia drags in Phoenix. It belongs nice guy that says he lurks frequently on the H.A.M.B., so he might get a kick out of seeing it here! It drew quite a crowd around it in the show last night, and I believe my buddy Boston mike was almost ready to mate with it! Unfortunately, I can't remember his name (Dave?), but dude, if you see this tell us what engine trans your running - please! (See, I'll drag you in yet!)
    P.S. Sorry for the crappy pictures. My camera is not so hot with night time stuff!

Attached Files:

17. Blam

Blam

I was out takin photo's the other day and found myself standing in front of my van!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. this was at the save the boobs show here on sunday,,,,,,really clean with I souped up 6

Attached Files:

19. midwestcar

midwestcar
    from il

hey guys got the rendering done. im taking it to sema this year with rushforth wheels. gotta get back to work..tick tock...lol
    [​IMG]

20. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I love it. I will keep my eyes peeled for it.

21. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Good luck. Look forward to updates. They are sooooo much easier to draw than build.

22. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

aint that the truth

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

After ...I don't know how long... I finally got mine to move on it's own last night for the first time since the v8 swap! :D I only got to move it in and out of the driveway because I was supposed to be in the house watching the kids, but it moved! I still need to make a bunch of adjustments and fix a bunch of stuff, but it will now be driveable while I work on it

24. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Wow. I can add to this thread now..
    I just picked up a 66 Falcon van.
    240 I6, 3spd, 9". Runs and drives great.
    I was never attracted to these but its growing on me. So much fun to drive. And the 240 runs way strong.

***guess I can't load pics from wifes droid...my pc is down. Oh well, just imagine a 66 falcon van with old torq thrust type wheels...haha

25. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

Awesome Hellfish! Its a good feeling isnt it? Im hoping mine will be road worthy tomorrow! If so I will post updated pics with new wheels.

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

In the late sixties/early 70s there was an oval track racer that owned the Esso station at the corner of 232nd and Dewdney Trunk Rd. in Maple Ridge, BC. IIRC his surname was Gerard. He had a corvair PU with a BB chevy in the bed with baffled zommies that he drove to work all the time. Any guys on here that grew up in this area remember the truck I am talking about? Anybody that was here in the '60s would have seen it/heard about it, it was pretty notorious.

27. jimgottoys

jimgottoys

i have a 67 econ pickup the fuss box is part of the headlight switch

28. econovanman

econovanman
    from yakima wa

slick steve how hot was it when u took her out and how fast were u going? my econoline funs hot when its over 90 out and will overheat if imx driving over 60 mph for a short time and if there is no belly pan it will not really cool at all

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

Steve - what engine do you have?

Mine had a 170 and I replaced the junked original radiator with a brand new Mustang 6 cyl radiator for about $100. I was stuck in traffic on a 98* plus day and it never got hot, and that was with a leaky exhaust manifold gasket. I was hot, but the engine was just fine. :)

The 240 radiator is enough to cool a v8, so it should be fine, but may need to be cleaned out. When I dropped in the v8 I also dropped in an aluminum radiator and electric fan, but I haven't had a chance to really test them yet.

Some guys swear that the air dam underneath is critical and others say they're fine without it. Personally, I think it's there for a reason and should stay there. Having said that, mine has a homemade one which is just a flat piece of sheet metal with no sides... so kinda like having one, and not having one. Works fine.

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

yep, that's where they all are. I think there are only 3 fuses, maybe 4. Ford sure put the "economical" into the "Econo"line! I replaced all my wiring with a RebelWire kit.