Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc to hydro adaptor indentifacation help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by titus, Jul 28, 2010.

1. titus

titus

I just picked up this old adaptor on a whim, it was said to be for a sbc to early ford, well i looked at the pics and new that wasnt correct right away, i stared at it and looked at some other pics and figured out it was an olds pattern that was on it so i figured it was a hydro adaptor for a sbc, and when it got home i grabbed and slant pan hyrdo bellhousing i had laying around and sure enough it fits it,

i cleaned up the adaptor and got a number off of it too, its HA6295, anyone recognize the part number to a brand?

anyone have a pic of a flywheel that is needed for this set up?

JEFF

Attached Files:

2. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

hildebrant adapter. mike

3. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Do have a std trans OLDS or CAD to try also i would think they are the same . Good find.

4. titus

titus

Yep, that would work too, its basically got the back of an olds or cadi on it, i just assumed it was for a hydro cause why else would you stack 2 adaptors to get a stick behind a sbc.

anyone know what the flywheel is supose to look like?

jeff

5. F&J

F&J

Lets say it was designed when the sbc came out...would it be the way to use a LaSalle trans using the 50 Olds bell? In 55 to 57, there really wasn't a strong trans for the sbc..except the truck hydramatic. And, making a thin partial bell would be easier than making a whole new bell?

Double adapters were done on another swap setup by OFFY to use a Olds engine with a chevy stick trans, but in a Ford chassis using the original Ford pedals that need to line up with the clutch housing. it was a steel plate Olds to Flathead adapter from one company, then the slightly shortened Flathead offy bell with a chev trans pattern. Offy made the bell 5/8" or so thinner to make up for using the Olds steel plate adaptor. I did own the special shortened offy bell, but never knew why it was a short version until Goatroaper02 made a post about the swap.

The reason I brought that up is that they did do weird stuff back then.

6. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

Well you could use 37 cad floor box or a sideshift . Flywheels std shift chevy. Also chevy used hydromatics in trucks i know because i had a 1955 v8 with one.

7. titus

titus

I totally hear ya on that, i guess when ever i hear of sbc i think 4 speed, but this was earlier than that too, so i know what you mean.

I have the olds thin plate adaptor to early ford pattern and i have 1 offy flathead to lasalle with the ford clutch shaft in it, then i have another offy flathead to gm with the gm thro out arm and i also have another offy flathead to gm with the flathead throw out shaft.

and that was my plan with those adaptors, stack them onto what ever i need to to make it work.

but they did make like a million different trans adaptors so you would have think they would have made a whole new bell, if compare say a nailhead to lasalle trans dapt brand adaptor to a nailhead to flathead trans dapt trans adaptor its the same adaptor with eh lassalle bell housing machined off, im assuming it was cheaper just to have 200 of the same thing cast then take 100 and mill off the extra to make it into the nailhead to early ford adaptor if you know what i mean.

i attatched a pic of the nailhead stuff and others

jeff

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. F&J

F&J

The stackable offy flathead bells for "use with a steel plate adaptor" end with a letter. Normal version is the same number without the letter. The letter ones are 5/8" thinner

9. titus

titus

Cool.

10. F&J

F&J

I was thinking overnight... Not many would "get it", but imagine an early rail where you could see the whole setup... a early 55 no oil filter 265 running the top shift LaSalle trans converted to torque tube drive....

it's a sickness..;)

11. titus

titus

I have the same type of vissions as you but mine was a little different....

hilborn injected 301...b&m hydro.....thompson magnesium carrier in a 57 chevy rear end.....dunno what it would be in tho!

12. titus

titus

oh, heres the other reason i think its for a hydro,

trans dapt bolted to early chevy adaptor bellhousing for lasalle trans.

Attached Files:

13. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

Hey Titus do you know if this adaptor is a Offy and if not a Offy then what. There is no numbers or name on it anywhere. We bought the motor and trany bolted together

Attached Files:

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I would bet you would need to use the Chevy truck (late '50s) Hydramatic flywheel..
    but if you had one of those you might also have the Chevy Hydramatic bell to go with it..

15. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

This adapter looks just like mine for my Olds hyrdo. Only difference is mine doesn't have a number stamped in the bottom, instead it says "DRAG MACH" in raised letters. It looks like yours may have had that milled off and the numbers stamped in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You will need a Chevy truck hydro flywheel and the torus cover to go with it. The flywheel fits the SBC crank and has 18 bolt holes for the torus cover. The torus cover to flywheel seal is a rectangular cut o-ring. Even the torus members may need to be replaced with truck hydro parts, or possibly Hudson Jet torus members. They used the o-ring approach. All others had 30 bolt holes and a paper gasket to seal flywheel to torus.

I would possibly be interested in the adapter if you are not planning on using it. PM me if you want to sell it.

17. hotrod8

hotrod8

late 50s gmc truck , v8 had this same setup from the factory v8 - hydro , i had one back in the 70s, i put in a 47 chevy truck !!!!!!!!!

18. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I know its a stupid idea - but I'd love one of those in my coupe!!!!

I have to put up with a 37 Packard trans instead!!!!

how long is a Hydro trans?

And did they come behind Jimmy 6?

19. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

The B & M, SBC to Slant pan hydro adapter I had, had a "recess", so the regular passenger car starter could be used. IF your adapter does'nt have a recess, then you'll probably need the truck only hydro starter (they mount so they look up-side down, with the solenoid hanging), and those are really hard to find and expensive. And as already mentioned, the Chevy V-8 truck flywheel, torus cover, and torus assembly will be needed. The crankshaft will need a pilot bearing just like a stick shift trans, the crank/flywheel needs a seal, and the O-ring is needed for the torus cover to flywheel assembly. Then you need a troop of low land gorillas to help you move the trans around and get it in the car. Butch/56sedandelivery.