Register now to get rid of these ads!

RANT: Classic Car getting destroyed for Demolition Derby

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by M.Edell, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

smash all the 89 caddy's you want. hell find my old one on craigslist & use that for all i care.

2. Yeah as a mater of FACT I have saved a bunch of tin from going to asia as a cube of steel,Ive got the room and try to pick it up and turn it when ever I can or sit on it as I can..............However my statement was save american steel and trash the jap cars.......I understand not being able to sell some cars however to trash (demo derby) them just to prove you earned your mullet is insane........

3. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I don't understand why people need to intentionally destroy a cool old Merc (or any other big bodied old car) like that. The junkyards and D-List car lots are full of Caprices, Roadmasters, RWD Delta 88s and 98 Regencys, Crown Vics, and Town Cars that are just ready to be smashed. Heck, I've even seen big front-drivers like mid '90's Park Avenues used in demo derby action. Why not use THOSE? They didn't ALL get crushed during cash for clunkers, did they?

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I had a 1966 Mercury Park Lane More Door, 410 4V, beast, bought it for 200 bux, drove it for 3 years, It was mint, I did nothing to it, sold it to a drunky neighbor for 500, he smacked into 3 cars with it, slightly bent the bumper, I bought it back for 200, he lost his license. I sold it to another kid for 450, a bit less cause now its dented, he smashed it into a truck and his father made him sell it back to me, I paid 125, its a bit more dented, I put it in the paper for parts, sold a bunch of rearend trim for 150, sold the car to a guy as a work car for 250, 3 weeks later he gets laid off I buy the car back for 150, a guy tells me he wants to use it as a demo car I sell it to him for 200, he gets piled up on the logs in like 12 seconds, I buy it back for 100, pull the motor and sell it for 400, get 150 for scrap. About a month later I come out of a parts store and there is my more doors twin sister for sale for 200 bucks, I buy it, I drive it for about a month and gave it to a girl I was seeing, she had it for ten years. This is the most under appreciated car I ever owned. Just couldn't love it.

5. Ricks57

Ricks57
    from San Diego

Hi,
    I frequent some lien sales and like to prowl the self service junkyard on occasion and I am constantly amazed by what car people have let go to be impounded or just sold to the junkyard. Here is a few pics of what I have bought at the impound. None of it costs over $500. Of course a few of them have ended up as demo derby cars, however I doubt if you've ever seen a nicer 77 LTD II!

Rick

Attached Files:

6. Saxxon

Saxxon

Kind of makes you wonder what they'll be destroying 20 years from now. I wonder if there are enough Mercury cop cars to go around

7. thesupersized

thesupersized

i hate when they use the 58 lincolns, they seem to use them alot! at least cut the headlight sections out of the fenders, us kustom people like em!!!

8. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

I think it would be fun to have a stock car class using old bodies that nobody wants...they might get smacked up a little but you could get more than one race out of 'em
    But, that would involve somebody doing something instead of just complaining.

9. budd

budd

10. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Those are kinda neat...sure would be cool to see one in a demo derby.

11. Yeah... He's an asshole....

Vintage racing is one thing, to destroy old cars quickly is another.....

"We are all just Caretakers of these vintage machines,
    Let us honor them well....."

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  12. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

If you are that frickin concerned you would have offered him what he wanted.
    Fair price my arse, buy it or get over it.

13. Deuces

Deuces

To bad the derby guy don't know that Ford is killing off the Mercury line up....

14. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

i dont understand with all the ... "its your car do what you want..." post on here... it isnt your car.. he can do with it what he wants.....

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

I offered him your Mom..but he wouldnt go for it homie..

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  16. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

He definitely has a good point. I know a couple derby guys around here that have ruined "desirable" cars because they couldn't GIVE THEM AWAY on craigslist etc.... In fact, I just sold a pretty straight 1963 Ford F100 stepside to a derby guy for $200. He's pulling the y-block, tranny and rear axle and giving it back to me. I had the stupid thing listed on craigslist for $400 for 2 months. About 3,456 flakes later, I sold it to him and sold the engine, tranny and rearend for $475. Sometimes it doesnt pay or make sense to "save" a car.

17. M.Edell

M.Edell

Like I said, I tried... I offered him stupid money too...I'm past it...Fuck it, on to bigger and better things..like homies mom...lol..just messin with you EnglishBob

18. Marcus, knowing your previous history here on the HAMB. You're probably just mad you couldn't make a buck on it.

19. M.Edell

M.Edell

That too! And you're Point would be?:rolleyes:

20. Carvermatic

Carvermatic

My cousin ran a '59 Edsel for a couple of derby seasons a few years back. He really regrets it now,... live and learn.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Had a local bang the living piss out of a pretty ok looking 58 chevy more door one year. Pretty sad to see but no talking them out of it.

22. skullhat

skullhat

as the car was aquired on a lein, that means you can be present and bid on it.......so , while this heap may be gone, if ya wanna save the next one go by the yards and read their lein postings , and attend the sales.

as they cant just aquire the car withouth holding the sale, that gives anyone a chance to save one if they wish.

while i hate to see any old iron get wasted, i agree , its his now, he can do what he wants with it, whether or not we agree is about as much say as we got lol.

skull

23. floydjer

floydjer
    BANNED

Checked the C.C.C.A. list of recognized classics...............No 60`s Merc`s. Flame suit on:rolleyes:

24. toml24

toml24

Here is a destruction derby at Gardena Stadium, CA. on August 23, 1959. The track had them every Sunday night during the Summer and the stands were filled.

Attached Files:

25. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

not exactly cars no one wants, but i going to build a shoebox ford, 4dr changed to two door for this stock car series http://www.littlelincolns.com/

these really race and some fender rubbin for sure, go to all races and its like a friggin time machine.:cool:

26. Demo Derby X-100

Demo Derby X-100

^^^ Hell yeah!!!

These guys come through every-so-often. Some drivers just make laps while others go for the win.

http://eastcoastflathead.org/

Attached Files:

27. that guy really needs to get his ass kicked!!
    where does he live??? :eek::D

28. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

dont care what you think, ya better respect property rights there ass kicker

wanna know where i live?

29. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

hey demo, you still doin the mirada dirt car, about the end of the classic era i'd say:cool:

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

All this bullshit about a '66 Mercury Parklane? Get over it, that car was ugly when it was new and it still is. Saving a desirable piece of vintage tin is admirable, saving an old, ugly mordoor is a waste of time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.