Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom vs Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by snowmann, Jul 27, 2010.

1. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Whats the difference? I know what a street rod is, muscle car, ricer ect. But that is a grey area to me. Take a look at pic in sig and tell me what my car fits into. And how do you tell the difference.

2. Loe

Loe
    from CDA, ID

For me a hot Rod is for speed. And Customs are for cruising. your car looks to be hot rod ish, but what do you have for drivetrain is the question.

3. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

I say mild custom. Lowered,wide whites and not overally wild body mods, suspension and such

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Mild custom, and there's nothing wrong with that.

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Hot Rod
    [​IMG]

Custom
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. HAHAHA your signature right after posting two pictures to answer a question is perfect:D.

Two great cars.

7. Customs are for getting the girls, hot rods are for getting rid of them :D as the old saying goes

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It ain't the look. You know if it's a hot rod. Anybody else's lable is pure speculation. If it don't run like a bat out of hell, that fact might be cause for dispute.

9. Flamingo_57

Flamingo_57
    BANNED
    from Rolla mo.

Kustoms all the way! Just don't mix up the terms. The type we are into are actually Kustoms. A "custom" can include anything that is customized, including hot rods. "Kustom" an exclusive term. A kustom with a hopped up motor can be a "kustom rod" as well and a rod that has custom cues like a 60's show rod. A "custom rod" makes me think of billet wheels, digital dash, fuel injection, etc. Thats my .02.

10. Larry T

Larry T

Back in the 60's and 70's the hot rodders and the customizers were two distinctly different groups around here. Sure, some of the folks were into both but as a whole the groups didn't really hang out together.
    Hot rods were about engines and performance, customs were for looking cool and a lot of them had stock 6 bangers in them.
    Larry T

11. Labold

Labold

Dang! Beat me to it.

12. Larry T

Larry T

OK, how old is the saying?
    Larry T

13. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yours is a mild kustom --www's, Lakers, lowered...I'm assuming nosed and decked altho I can't see it that well. And that's Kustom with a 'K'. There was another old saying back when: "Low and slow is the only way to go." Most kustoms kept the original engines --sixes, straight eights, whatever came in the car because speed, or burning the tires was not an issue.

Hot rods were hard-core back in the day...built engines, seldom having detailed interiors, but with stick shifts and ready to race. Hence the saying " Customs are for getting the girls, hot rods are for getting rid of them." No female in their right mind would go out on a Saturday nite in a hot rod with no heater, radio or roll up windows. It'd mess up their bouffant...besides, most hot rods didn't have back seats for the drive-in...

R-

14. No fenders = Hot Rod
    fenders = street rod or custom

Runs from flames ...
    trips and falls.
    Ouch .

15. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

If kustoms are for cruising this is a kustom, originalish 235 and working on the interior and glass. But its gonna have a 383 T5 combo but stay as traditional as possible and leave the hood closed at shows and what not.

16. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Sounds cool - I'd call that a sleeper, just to throw more jargon at ya!

17. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

No, That's just nuts, put your 383 t5 set up in it, detail it nice and show it off, most of the little wise nuts are spectators and posers at a car show or a cruise night, your fellow car owners are not going to be so ignorant. And if they are steer clear of them, who needs all the anger?

18. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Agreed, I have thought of leaving the 235 and dual carb it and t5 so when we go on runs and cruise with friends we can keep up, but I do like power and have a roller SBC taking up some space.........decisions...decisions.

19. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

What about rerstro rods. stock bodys and great running gear

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Hot Rod..... H40g1.jpg
    Custom..... 754569.thumb.jpg

Both are the same car...........

21. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

A "custom rod" makes me think of billet wheels, digital dash, fuel injection, etc. Thats my .02.[/QUOTE]

Gross....

22. ironfly28

ironfly28
    from Orange, CA

Who cares? it's all about mini trucks anyway

23. "Your Granada looks just like my Mercedes..."
    No it didn't!!!!! Real car guys know the difference! What engine it has or how fast it is doesn't decide whether it's a Hot Rod! How fast you drive it doesn't decide whether it's a Custom either!
    Hot Rod is a Hot Rod......Custom is a Custom!
    Can't believe someone would join the HAMB not knowing the difference...

24. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

I must be a dumbass, without the hamb how do people learn the difference? I am a ASE master tech of 12 years, owned muscle cars, EFI performance cars, hundreds of passes down the drag strip and now have a kustom and plan on building a T coupe hot rod that I have also. So I do know a little about cars, but maybe someone should just take me to the pasture and shoot me.................I hope you were JK about the " how can someone join the hamb without knowing..."

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

By reading, and learning, and doing! I don't hold any ill will to you sir, I just can't believe that you had to ask that question. I'm really surprised you didn't get more smart answers. It's not about what's here on the HAMB, It's just life in general! Now that your here, welcome! But maybe it's time to just hang and watch and listen a bit.

26. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Thank to everyone for the help.

27. Snowmann, I don't care what you call your car, I think it is very cool. It doesn't matter if your car is one or the other or maybe a little of both, as long as you like it. Besides, if we "knew it all", why would we need to be here in the first place?

I refuse to disrespect anyone who takes the time to build a cool car, unless they prove themselves to be a complete ass-bag.

28. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

Your right, Im here to learn and its a great place to do so.

29. JOHNNY ARMIJO

JOHNNY ARMIJO

just as long as your happy who cares man.... my truck has a hopped up bbf, stall, 3speed auto set up for cruising or draggin...

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Snowmann, your car is COOL. I did forget to say that in my minor tirade. I sometimes forget that I have the advantage of growing up in this stuff. I just never wasn't a hot rodder, and I didn't know the difference. When I was a kid and I asked a common knowledge question, I got a ribbing from my mentors - some that go on to this day over 30 years later. Chip