Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where did Chevrolet get their names from???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heywacha, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Deuces

Deuces

That means I'm a thousand points ahead... :D :)

2. Deuces

Deuces

Then I'll have mine with lettuce and tomatos.... Hold the onions!! :D

3. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

HAHAHA Nope it's the DEEP Hood might have been nice at one time but now it's a rough place to be after dark I have a friend that live in Del Ray I always leave before it gets dark

4. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I submit proof...
    [​IMG]

5. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Back in the days of the cold war I used to work in the aerospace industry. Whenever we were about to design a new weapon, we would have brainstorming sessions that would last for hours trying to come up with an impressive name. Many of the names tu rned out to be acronyms for whatever the weapon was supposed to do.

6. drpreposterous

drpreposterous
    from detroit

I'm thinking it is much more likely that Chevy named Delray after the southside Detroit neighborhood, so close to so many GM plants. Lots of auto workers lived (and live) there.

Native Detroiter

7. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

Got a name & address? I'd like to check that out next time I'm in Paris...:D

8. dmw56

dmw56

Oh Shit, the traditional police have got their panties in a wad again!

9. Deuces

Deuces

Here's mine... :D ...... Just paid it off in March. :)

Attached Files:

10. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

george?..... george camaro... i like it.

11. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Ha,,Ha,,No ,,I'm not THAT big of a Historian on Chevys ,,BUT ,,i'm sure if you Google the G M Museum and get their phone number ,,some idiot might know the address in ,,Paris ,,heck ,,might even find sum pics of it ,,

12. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Bonneville, LeMans, Grand Prix, Goat.

13. gladeparkflyer

gladeparkflyer
    BANNED

then why is it a pony on the grille?... in a corral no less. shouldn't that be a fighter plane?....

14. Vega is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra.....but not at GM

15. I read name choices were copyrighted, researched, tested with focus groups for marketing purposes. Name selection depended on how the Joe public would respond to it and inturn buy the "image" the car's name conjured up. The GTO name was used because Ferrarri did not copyright the name is one interesting example.

16. I always thought it was named after DelRay Beach in Florida. A rather exclusive neighborhood ala Belair in CA. No?

17. The designers at Ford had it pointed out that the horse was facing the wrong way on the grill (Not running counter clockwise as a racetrack horse does). The response of Ford was that is because the Mustang is wild as hell, or something to the effect. ~from a Lee Iacocca biography years ago.

18. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

Here you go;
    shark feces, Oh you mean species?
    [​IMG]

19. Amateur Sketch

Amateur Sketch

Submitted for your approval :D :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A194vDpXzyA

20. Deuces

Deuces

Maybe the pony logo looked better on the grill... :D

21. Deuces

Deuces

Them cars burned 2 qts of earl between fuel fill ups.. :eek:

22. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Ha,,Ha,,,Not Mine ,,it was a Coswerth Vega ,,never burned a drop ,,was quicker than Stink ,,!!!bought it new ,,Dummy me ,,i sold it two years later ,,

23. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Being in the towing biz, I often wonder how they come up with names of vehicles. Some pretty bad names on cars! Chevette, Fiesta, I mean come on!

24. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Corvette name was used for small, easily maneuverable war ships as early as mid-1700s.

25. EAGLE was an AMC model a number of years before Chrysler bought AMC.
    Was Iacocca planning to use the name anyway, even though AMC was selling a model by that name??
    Wait- were the Iacocca years starting in late 70's and into the early and mid 80's?
    That was about the same time the AMC Eagle was being produced.
    WHEN was he planning to use the name Eagle?
    Chrysler didn't use the name EAGLE until after they bought AMC. Wasn't that after Iacocca left?

(psst- not chevy names)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  26. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Citation - someone should receive a citation for designing and selling that pc of shit!

27. CraigR

CraigR
    from California

All I found is a GM museum that isn't open to the public. You read the link on post #57 yet?
    Are you sure a French Hotelier would leave a rip in his wallpaper for over 50 years - until he finds out who ripped it & why & then leave it be, as he's so enamoured of an American Company named for a Swiss guy?
    Don't blame me for questioning - guy calls himself 'connman' I'm just makin' sure my leg ain't gettin' pulled..;):D

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

You need to brush up on your High School spanish. Nova in spainsh is to words, No Va, which means No Go!

29. I always figured they kept a fishbowl somewhere and when they needed a new name, someone put on a blindfold and pulled one out. And someone stuck some gag names and cut up addresses from junk mail and stuck in there, never figuring that 10 years later someone would pull it out and they'd actually use it because it wasn't copyrighted.

I've seen some claims refuting the "no va" thing, putting it together as one word means still something else in Spanish, or so they said.

But I suspect Chevette is not Che-Vette but Chev-ette, which would mean "little Chevy" ..I forget just whether that's French or some other origin; if it were Japanese it would have been a Chevy-chan or Chevy-kun. Same sort of principle.

Now, explain wtf a Corvair is, unless it's a similar contraction of Corvette with Air for the air-cooled engine.

By the way, it's too bad Pontiac used the Phoenix name, it would have been a swell moniker for the replacement for the Pinto.

30. Owning three old Blazers myself, I want to believe this is true. Is it?

My baby

[​IMG]