Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 1/2 Galaxie 500 XL Fastback... what would you pay?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DanIam, Jul 27, 2010.

1. DanIam

DanIam

Sorry, I don't have any pics, but I was driving down the road today and see a Galaxie on a local lot. I stop to take a look and discover a '63 1/2 500 XL Fastback with original everything. Body is perfect. Paint is perfect, Original factory blue. No rust. Original interior and only 18,000 miles on the original engine. It was a 1 owner car that was brought in because the family needed the cash.

The dealership is asking $19,000 for it, which I don't see him getting in this economy. My question is, "what would you offer, assuming you had the cash to make a serious offer?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. el shad

el shad

Filthy dealer probably gave the the poor needy family 4k for it and is trying to get rich. Offer him his 4 large back............

3. DanIam

DanIam

My initial thought was that he is marking it up at least 4X what he paid for it, which would put my guess at 5K. I thought about offering him $6K or $7K for it just to see his reaction. No way he takes it, but I wonder how far down he would come. This is a beautiful car, and it is in near perfect condition.

4. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

Sounds like a pretty nice car, with so few miles it's a rarity. I can see a car like that fetching a price in the mid to upper 20's at a popular auction car like Mecum, etc.

5. el shad

el shad

You can always offer more, but can never offer less once you opened your mouth. He is a used car dealer, and wants money. He could care less once you roll off that lot. Don't worry about his feelings. Low ball him.

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

What engine? 352, 390, 260?

7. I ain't even a Ford guy but a 63 Galaxie 500XL with only 18000 miles on it, in as nice a shape as you describe has got to be worth $19000 all day long. I learned a long time ago that just because a car costs too much for me don't necessarily mean it costs too much.

8. DanIam

DanIam

9. el shad

el shad

I have a 390 in my '61. It's a runner!

10. 62rebel

62rebel

wow. 16 years ago i couldn't get 1800 for mine, with a trunk full of extra goodies. how times have changed.

BTW: if i had 19 large and no place to otherwise spend it, i'd love to have another fastback.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

motor would make a big difference. 427 with 2 4BBLs would go for a bunch of money.

EDIT: oh... 390. those Galaxies are moving too well on ebay right now. might be a bit high.

12. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

If you really love the car, and why wouldn't you, apparently it's perfect --talk to the dealer, take it for a drive. If you end up buying it for 15, 16, or 17K, enjoy it for a few years. When you go to sell it, you probably get your money back --maybe more (as long as you don't fuck up the car.)
    At 18,000 miles, this car is investment grade, not to mention 63 1/2 fstbk is the best looking model. It's probably at the top for lowest mileage Galaxie.
    Honestly at $19k is a very fair price for the car you are describing.

13. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

boy, i sure would like to see a picture of that car. probably worth it, if it's as nice as you say it is.

14. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

Okay going to catch shit for this comment....you can a lot of cars around the 20k mark...If it's what you want , get it....In today's market I wouldn't think it would be worth much more...just my two cents!:D

15. DanIam

DanIam

If I have time, I'll drive by tomorrow and take a pic so I can post it.

16. Deuces

Deuces

If only I had the cash....... Pardon me while I go off into dream land........

Attached Files:

17. $18,000 on the engine ? I'm thinking mileage you meant correct ? (lol) can he document all this one owner, mileage would be my big question.

18. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

if the car is very, very nice (sounds like it is) and the mileage is accurate, it COULD be worth the asking price, but my price guides suggest $15-16 if probably about right.

Now let me tell you what would happen if you came on my lot and offered $5-7k for a car that I was asking $19k for...end of discussion, there is the driveway, see ya.

Don't insult the man, spend some time discussing the car, get to know the dealer. Get a feel for his situation. Perhaps you can buy it for $15-16k. But don't get your hopes up. There just isn't that kind of margin available. For all we know, he may have purchased it at auction and paid full boat, plus commission.

Give the dealer the respect both he and the car deserves.

Pay what it is worth and what you can afford.

19. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

I passed on one - 390/4speed for 10K (me and my dumb ass).

20. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Dealer probably has no more then $10k to $12k in it. Cars like that are risky buys except to guys like us. Does he have other cars like it at the dealership too? If he does he may be a better gambler with the classic stuff, if not, he didn't spend a lot. Just my gut feeling. Good luck with your decision.

21. I sold my 64 Galaxie XL convertible last year for 10k.I had it at 15 but couldn't move it for more than 10 and it was really nice,but not an original or low mileage.I like the Galaxies and I would probably give 15 for one like I see in my mind with your description.If it is for sale only locally then I would bet he would come down because the economy still sucks the big one for most of us.

22. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

If I was in the market for an XL in the condition like you describe I'd expect to pay $15k minimum

23. mlagusis

mlagusis

wow. there was one here a couple of months ago for $5,000 in pretty good shape. 390 and 4 speed. I want one bad.

24. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

do a search on these sites to compare what is on market for starters: galaxieclub.com
    & oldride.com

25. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

All of the above make loads of sense, but the "bad dealer" and "bondo abuse" stories elsewhere on the HAMB make me suggest checking over the car VERY carefully first.

26. DanIam

DanIam

Yes, sorry about the typo. 18,000 is the claim. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. I'm not sure how he can document mileage, but the one owner thing is easy enough. It sure looks like it only has 18,000 miles on it.

27. DanIam

DanIam

Good advice! I appreciate it.

28. csimonds

csimonds

I have to agree with the "Bondo Abuse" comment! Also check for floors and trunk problems. Where are you located by the way? I live in the Northeast and the weather up here beats cars up, sometimes beyond recognition! Good luck! I do know of a 64 fastback here in CT with a built 289, running and driving project for $1200.00.
    CHUCK

29. we have a lead on a 63' fastback factory light weight, 406 tri-power 4 speed car that we can probably snatch up for under 5 g's been in a building for a while, not far from here either, we have to look at it to see if the info he gave us was correct!

This ones listed for sale in Jamestown, ND this is the pic of it

1963 Ford Galaxie 500 XL. 390, auto, buckets, console,new exhaust,new brakes,new windshield still in box ,runs and drives excellent,needs interior work and paint. $3600

Attached Files: