Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there a way to get 'salvaged' off the title?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Jul 26, 2010.

1. no55mad

no55mad

:confused: Do all states have this?

2. You have to have it inspected to show you have done the repairs. I think it can be done...

3. Swifster

Swifster

Different states have different laws. Check with the DMV.

4. We use WHITE OUT aka as LIQUID PAPER !!! >>>>.

5. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

You'll have to go to DMV for proof and inspection and deal with paperwork, and jump thru hoops real pretty (in FL) , all states differ :confused:

6. 61TBird

61TBird

On a Monitor??
    You must be a Blonde...:eek::D:D:D

Contact the DMV or,search the DMV site to get an answer.
    CA DMV link
    Scroll down for "ReRegister a revived Salvaged Vehicle"
    Link

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

It's set up so that the brand - which is your case states 'salvage' - is a permanent thing. It can be done, but that involvest going through multiple states. It's called title laundering. I can't condone it or reccomend it, and if you get caught, it's a big deal. Yes it gets done but it isn't worth it in my opinion. On an old car - it isn't a deal breaker to most people - it's an old car. On a newer car or truck - yeah- it's a big deal. Tim :)

8. mj40's

mj40's

It's not so much the proof of repairs but just to let the consumer know that the car in question has had an issue and has been worked on or had major damage. I sure would like to know if my purchase had issues before buying.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  9. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

The reason it is permanent. There is no one cause for "salvage title". A car could have been a salvage/total loss because of vandalism. A complete paint and body with dents could easily be more than the value of a car. This could be a good buy..if mechanically sound.

Another car could have been in the flooding from Katrina..under sea water and cleaned to look acceptable. Or a "seamer" a unit body car essentially cut in half and built from two salvaged junks.

There are other examples. The cost to inspect and the liability of that warrant of suitability would cost even more..and subject the inspector to liability claims.

When you buy a salvage vehicle the liability for safety..suitability for road licensing are your responsibility.

Insurance may also be an issue. Most companies do not offer Comp/Coll for restored..unless this is a restored/salvaged collector car.
    A Bugatti restored from parts..could be restored at extreme cost and insured to value.

A 2003 KIA probably not..

10. docc it correct about the reasons for title being labeled "salvage". i have a 63' SS impala that was considered totaled at some time in it's life and i'm thinking it was a theft recovery because the car has no apparent frame or body damage.

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Its illegal if your caught. There was a storu about a Corvette that was totaled. After the car was fixed (frame welded), it went out of state to "clean" the title. Some family bought the Covette for their kid. In an accident, the car split in half and he was killed. The NTSB investigated and found the car had a "washed" title.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

From a guy who has two daily drivers with "salvaged" titles here in Michigan, I wonder why you are asking. If the reason is to increase the supposed value of your salvage titled car/truck, then you'd be better off looking up the definition of "fraud", and then consider how valuable your life out of prison is to you...

Brian

13. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

You are thinking about it all wrong, No one see's the title except for the owner or possible owner, besides I would think that someone could take great pride in knowing that they took a car that at one time was considered "Salvaged" and turned it into something great.
    I see great work on here all the time and I wish I had some of that same talent I would not care what the title said in fact if I had the talent it would make me feel more accomplished if the title said that.

14. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I bought a salvaged titled Buick about 10 years ago. During the time I repaired it the title got misplaced so when it was time to register it I had to submit a lost title form. When I got the new title in the mail several months later it was not stamped salvage anymore. DMV error to my benefit for a change.

15. M.Edell

M.Edell

"Salavaged Title" is the kiss of death..It cuts the vehicles value in half.In California there is no way to have it removed unless you let it sit for a decade and its out of the DMV records.However, I knew a guy who had his car registered in Nevada and it dropped the Salvaged title.That was a few years ago though.

16. boldventure

boldventure

17. flatoutflyin

flatoutflyin

Leave the title branded as salvage and plan to drive the car for awhile. I built and drove salvaged cars for 30 years. Late model salvage is much more difficult to sell today than 20 years ago. The older they get, the less important it becomes. A 10 year old salvage Honda with 50k miles will bring more used than a 150k miles car with a straight title, all else equal. The older the car, the less it matters. Don't try to hide anything, and repair it correctly because your name is on the title forever. You must start with the right car to make it feasible - theft recoveries are sometimes a good start. If your only interest is to increase resale value, your asking for an irate customer. Manufacturers track this info for warranty purposes, as does Carfax, although in OH, recalls are still honored. A title branded salvage can't be construed as concealment. Leave it alone, unless there is a legal way to do it in you state.

18. jb2wheeler

jb2wheeler

50 years ago I knew of a used car lot that would buy wreaked cars and half a$$ repair them and sell them on their lot. It was real funny walking thru there and seeing a gap between the front fender and the hood that you could stick your thumb in up to the web of your hand. They did not have salvage titles back then. I believe the same lot (under differant ownership and location) is still open. JB2wheeler

19. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

I had a salvaged car in CA...it was last registered in 93. I went to DMV in 02 and the car was out of the system so when the title came in, it was clean.

20. brandon

brandon

one other thing.....there are a lot of cars that a bought and sold as clean title that have been destroyed.....better to know that its been fixed than to buy something thing with a clean title and a ton of repair work and a clean car fax:rolleyes::D

21. thaugen

thaugen

I brought a salvage car to Cali from Hawaii and my Cali title was stamped Salvage. I've owned two more salvage cars.

The only issue is to tell your insurance co. it is salvage. When I totalled one, they took a quarter or a third off the value for the settlement check due to salvage.

22. Register it in a non-title state, if it's old enough. Problem solved.

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

salvage titles have nothing to do with major damage, but rather the cost of repairs vs the value of the car.

I bought a salvage 65 Mustang that was hit around 1990 and parked in the back yard with a plan on fixing it later. I got it in 2000. I replaced a door, the taillight panel and bumper, as well as the front pan and bumper. the same damage today would not have totalled the car since Mustangs are worth much more now.

salvage is an insurance/DMV term. if this Mustang had no collision insurance it would not have been "totalled"

my buddy bought 2 mustangs. one that had been mashed in the front and one that was rearended hard. he basically cut them at the windshield posts and straight across the floor from door to door and welded them together to make one good car.

this car has a clean title as neither one was totalled since they didn't have collision so no insurance companies were involved.

one more thing... a buddy moved from California to Oregon and when he registered his salvage motorcycle the title came back clean.

24. Could you call that a traditional title ?????

25. skullhat

skullhat

its not very easy these days to launder a salvage title. as already said its illegal to do it.

also with most states being on ncic, its gonna show that it was salvaged in whatever state. the dmvs across the country are smarter than they once were.

skull

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Many years ago I built a Myers Manx out of a VW. Before I could register it I had to scrap the VW and then apply for a special construction title. This was in California.

27. bigbubba

bigbubba

Missouri titles will state "Salvage" on them but Arkansas does not,There are 2 carlots this crook owns southwest of me.The guy buys abandoned and totaled cars in Mo and Ill then runs them through his Ark. address to "clean" them. His guys do pretty shoddy work so it stands out when they do a repair(and i use that term loosly

28. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

I heard that after it's been sold twice, (Missouri) the title will come back clean. Applying for a lost title sounds like a something to try, won't cost much. If it comes back clean, well, thats not your fault.

29. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

This is what I have seen as well. If the cost of repairs, exceed the value of the car the insurance company will total it. Then you have to go through the process of showing receipts for all of the repairs. After you jump though these hoops, there is a good chance that you might get a salvage title. This all depends on how your state views wrecked/totalled cars.

If it is a new car, the insurance company might put $10k into it for repairs. The same damage on a five year old car might total it.

30. skullhat

skullhat

most insur co's go 80% on most cars, as they have a standing agreement with their salvage bidders to pay 20% regardless of condition.

when you retain your car(your right) they hod back 20% of the payout that they would have got from the yard, and you keep your car.
    technically though , you did a buy back, and that is where the salvage title comes from.

most states will require a brake and lamp inspection after the car is repaired

as you guys say, its not the actual damage the totals a car, rather the percentage of its value that the repair cost is.

ive repaired cars for 40 grand and seen cars totaled for 700 bucks. sometimes the damage is so light that its a shame to see them totaled.

skull