Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fresno Pan Draggers 1952...a look back

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Royalshifter, Jul 3, 2008.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Was there a connection with the Hayward Pan Draggers? A fellow that I do some business with brought me a plaque with that name on it, said he was in that club in his youth. Joe

2. Not from 1952 ... but here's some pics of Fresno Pan Draggers & their cars from the late 50s:

[​IMG]
    1957: Bill Meeker, Jim Snow, & Gary MacArthur

[​IMG]
    1958: Pepper Snow

[​IMG]
    1958: Ron White

[​IMG]
    1958: Ron White

[​IMG]
    1959: Keith Bush & his '32 Tudor ... he still owns this car today ... just showed it at the 60th GNRS (Jan '09)!

[​IMG]
    1959: Pepper Snow's '57 Ford, Joe Vuglia's '41 Chevy & Keith's '32 Ford

Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
  3. the real brownie

the real brownie

the owners name was joe vuglio not shure of the spelling

4. sounds similar to this one
    [​IMG]

5. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

wow..... i was just at my friends house looking at some of his old car club photos and he has the same newspaper clipping that was posted of the pan draggers car club from the east bay area, his name is steve donovan and lived in pittsburg,ca at the time, he still has the 59 desoto in the newspaper clipping, he just drove it this week to the local cruise night at sonics in vacaville,ca, i did take a couple of photos, he still has his old club jacket, if any one is interested i will take a photo of his jacket.

6. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would like to see the jacket photo.

7. Bryan67

Bryan67

Actually it`s Joe Vuglia. His son Guy works at Snow White still I believe. Known him for a looong time but haven`t seen him in awhile.

8. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

This one .....?

[​IMG]

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I just talked today with Cal Rogers an active Pan Draggers member and he mentioned that he wanted to get Skip Lewis to their reunion. He is in your area somewhere.

10. 40WILLYSCRAZY

40WILLYSCRAZY
    from fresno

My dad was a pan dragger and got into the club in 1954 and was too busy in the early 60's to stay active. I have his original plaque and another pan draggers plaque when there was supposedly a branch off in walnut creek. their plaque had a 32 ford 2 door sedan on it. Spanky Cooper will soon be cruising a 32 plymouth 3 window coupe, next will be a recreation of his candy apple red 57 corvette.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  11. I just talked to Skip a few nights ago. Man that guy was awesome to talk to. I also spoke with Lee Bentoncourt and Buddy Katlik that same night. All Fresno Pan Draggers. They had awesome stories to tell me. I just sat there on the phone and listened. If anyone knew how it was back then...these guys do.

I am actually looking for Buddy's 53 Plymouth he customized in 1961. In you are in Fresno and know of this car contact me please.

[​IMG]

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

It's probably stuffed in a garage.

13. lazyv8

lazyv8

conley.. ive got an original pan draggers walnut creek plaque if your interested p.m. me..brian knows about it..lemme know.

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I met a man by the name of Raymand Lattie yesterday that was an original member of the Pan Draggers of Fresno from 1952 until he left the club and he told me some cool stories, one of which Winfield installing a Rambler? one piece windshield in his Merc.

15. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Looking for an original Pan Draggers plaque.

16. kennkat

kennkat

Yes, Here's to all those Pioneers of our Sport!!

Attached Files:

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Looks like the plaque photos I posted earlier now have the dredded red X, so here they are again .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

2014-07-02_10-24-02_461 047.jpg While visiting a friend in Ahwahnee last year, he took me to Snow White and I saw some of the cool stuff they were building. I also saw a Pan Draggers jackets hanging from the ceiling in a framed display. It said "In loving memory of".

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
  19. impala59

impala59
    from vallejo,ca

I know these thread is about the Fresno group but the far northern Cal group do have a Facebook page and some photos from the old Concrd Calif pandraggers from the early 70's. Well worth checking out if you grew up during those times. I wasn't old enough to drive yet when I seen these guys driving thru the local July 4th parade and able to raise and lower their cars with hydraulics.

20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Interesting! Seems there were more than one Pan Draggers club in that area .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Great History, Thanks for Sharing