Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with flat black primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kpapesh, Jul 25, 2010.

1. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Used engine oil works very well too and it's free.....

2. alittle1

alittle1

Try using E coat, TransStar 2K primer/sealer that will keep your bodywork and base metal from taking on water and starting rust below the surface. I would just paint it with gray, black or rouge base coat and not use a clear coat over top if I wanted to keep the flat look of primer.

I would NEVER use a silicon based product on primer because the silicon will come back to bite you in the ass if you wanted to repaint at a later date.

The 40 in the picture below, the doors and the box were done in Ecoat and the rest is high build primer. This is all done in Ecoat last weekend.

Attached Files:

3. alittle1

alittle1

This 69 Mustang was done in black primer and then coated over with Pledge furniture polish. This picture was taken a couple of days after.

Attached Files:

4. alittle1

alittle1

This 69 Mustang was done in black primer and then coated over with Pledge furniture polish. This picture was taken a couple of days after.

The two other pictures are the BEFORE pictures.

Attached Files:

5. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Windex and a paper towel, no shit it works.
    And for all the flat black haters, piss off,it's mine and I'll paint it any color I like, you don't have to like it, I do and that's all that matters really.

6. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

I love the look of fresh primer. But it doesn't stay that way for very long. Use a two stage paint and use a flat clear coat. Some companies sell pre-flattened clear.

Growing up in the late 50's / early '60's my dad and all his buddies hated primed or spot primed cars. Maybe that's why i've always loved primed cars. My first car in high school (1965) was a black primed '53 Chevy. And not because i couldn't afford to paint it, i just thought if my dad hated it it had to be cool. There was always a couple of primed cars in the parking lot and a few roaming the streets. Some because the owner couldn't afford to spring for a paint job and some because because the owner just liked primer.

7. kpapesh

kpapesh
    from Ohio

Thanks much to those of you who offered actual help. Wizards, I use your products which I purchase from my local, mom and pop parts store and they are great. For those of you that offered the idea that I paint it, well that's just original and I guess I hadn't thought of that. I will try a couple options tomorrow and let u all know how it works out.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  8. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Apparently Greens the new black so you better get on it.

9. This little "TEE" is painted in black epoxy primer . The owner sprays detailer on a rag and wipes it down-that's it...

Attached Files:

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

To suggest that if it's got flat primer on it that "IT's not trad", is about the most obnoxious thing I have heard on the traditional/not-traditional argument. :D Unless of course you mean 1970s period correct street rod! LOL!

I really don't give a shit ("what most now think about it"). Your recount of your experiences with car shows means you were more involved in something else other than hot rods, at least that what it appears to me.:D

Okay, I got it, you don't like primer to be the last coat of paint. I appreciate that. A lot of people hate any car that don't shine. I would join you in your premise, ("what most now think about it"). but editing it to say "what most VAIN people think about it", when determining a preference over a shiny paint job and one that's not. What puzzles me is why a personal preference is extended to attempt to re-write history. That seems to me to be more like an agenda than a recollection of the facts.

11. Man they must be really nasty in your family. I don't even kiss my sister. :eek:

I still think you will like the Formula 409. It always worked for me.

12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Why are we offering advice to this guy with the bad attitude anyway? "...go fist your mothers..."? What prompted that response? Offering that primer is not a topcoat, no UV protection, permeable to moisture, stains, doesn't warrant that kind of foul tempered reply.

Grow up.

13. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Kind of like asking your doctor what the best fast foods are to keep your from having a heart attack. The real answer is that you should lay off the fast foods, but that wasn't the question.

14. I don't think he was angry at all. I think it was supposed to be something along the lines of thanks have a good day. :D

15. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

kpapesh
    You should have known when you posted that all of those people that have agendas against flat primer would jump in with their half-cents worth. Even when they know their opinion isn't wanted they chime in. It's in their nature, it's the nature of the HAMB. But, they, in spite of their own faults, many just as thin-skinned as you,:D are basically nice guys just offering their advice. Think about that, look at it as a learning experience.:cool:

16. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I tried to offer advise by telling him to cover it up with paint because there is no real good way to keep flat black primer looking nice. I had a 55 with flat black, gasoline would stain it if you splashed a little dribble on the paint, bird crap would stain it, bugs would stain it. You couldn't clean it, because the spots you scrubbed on would polish. It looked like shit.
    The only way to have a nice maintainable satin paint job would be to spray a flattened clear over black. Running primer as a finish coat is cheap, crappy, and half assed. That's all there is to it.

17. mcsemperfi

mcsemperfi

You guys that run in flat black primer should try this product it is made by SEM and comes in a 1 quart kit it is called Hot Rod Black P/N- HR 010 it is a urathane and it comes with the exact amount of reducer and activator and when dry produces a flat black color that doesnt get chalky or mar like most paint that has had flatning agent put in it and is in my opinion better than running with primer-(just my opinion!) check it out!

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

What? I guess I need to brush up on my manners, or maybe there's a new Emily Post guide out with 2010 revisions I don't know about. Still, it seems like the remark of a jerk, and not a great way to get started (less than 70 posts and he's telling us to fist our mothers?) on here. It seems to go beyond good natured ball busting to me.

19. OK I'll try another tack here. If you do it at home and like it you would naturally assume that everyone else would also like it. Akin to having a nice day.

20. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Brian, you are wrong. In today's society of keyboard gangsters, it's perfectly acceptable for someone to suggest a good mother fisting when the advice given isn't what they want to hear. Just the other day I had to tell someone to jack their father off for suggesting that I use Nevr-dull to polish my chrome.

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Ah, so you mean he's busy at that right act now, and expects we all are too? I get it now. I can see now it makes perfect sense, so go ahead on with yo' bad self,kpapesh!

Actually, black primer is prolly PERFECT on that Model A...

22. Oh maaaan, I don't know which of these two is the worst visual. I think I'm going to have to take some time off here.

Maybe I'll just go change a radiator. So for all you fellas that have helped me in the past. Go change a radiator. ;)

23. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

if you plan on painting later i would avoid rubbing in alot of the suggestions given, it will make more work later, if you never plan to paint then have at it

i typically leave cars in primer for awhile while working on them, makes em look ok enought to drive around and work out the bugs, just did my wife's convertible galaxie this weekend it will stay primered until my model a is on the road, because i don't want to spend the time putting quarters on it right now

as far as primer not being traditional, i could post tons of pictures from the 40's to 60's with primered cars owned by relatives, just because it's become so popular these days doesn't make it not traditional, like most things it got to popular because it looked cool

getting a car ready for paint (especially with older cars) can be a long tedious process, primering a car and getting to drive it around and enjoy it is great

24. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Ok,now I'm officially confused.Is fisting your mother now socially acceptable over there? How about someone else's Mother? I only ask 'cos my kid goes to school with kids who have some real hot mothers.
    Paul

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  25. csimonds

csimonds

Ok so I have my car painted with the John Deere Blitz Black. Looks like the flat black primer but has the sealer in it from what I can understand. This is season number 2 with it and it has held up very well, well it's as flat as it was. The reason I painted it this color was easy, I liked it! Don't get me wrong I can appreciate a nice heavy gloss paint from time to time, and I always get the comments of, "what color are you going to paint it?", but as I said I like it. And no I'm not fisting anybody's mother lol, I gotta say that is quite a comment.......LMAO
    CHUCK

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That looks like a nice finish, and it shouldn't chalk or decompose in the sun. My 55 was a single stage with a flattner in it, still hard to keep from burnishing parts of it. I'd never do it again.
    [​IMG]

27. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

"GO FIST YOUR MOTHERS"..Surly we can comunicate on a higher level than this......

28. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

That would make him a Douche?

29. csimonds

csimonds

Extreme Douche, with a, as we say here in the Northeast "Wicked Low" IQ....... It amazes me what people will say!

30. Question asked, questioned answered. The usefullness of this thread has run its course. Drama is still running strong however.