Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crushed and Scraped but they didn't get them all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Verbal Kint, Jul 26, 2010.

1. This yard has been on my list for a couple years but it was always 9 hours in the other direction from where I was headed. Well I was too late, only a couple 40's cars saved off the side. From google map pics this yard covered several surrounding hillsides with farm equipment and vehicles. I knew it was bad when I called the week before we left and the phone number was disconnected, after driving all night we rolled up to the place and there they were semi trailers loaded up with balls of vintage tin. I was depressed for the next couple hours of the trip. Comparing with 2 year old satellite photos, its nothing like it was and most of what dots the hillside is farm equipment. Look real close in the first pic and you can see remains on the hill in the background.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the way home we stumbled through a couple small towns and ran across this collection. Moral of the story... get your wallet out if you want it because you may be back but the crushed only comes once!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. its sad... that just happened to a private yard a block away from us. there wasn't too much useable stuff.. but at least the guy that bought the whole yard kept the cool stuff for him self... but he will never sell anything unless ya give em 3 grand ohwell.. I have enough stuff in my yard anywhoo...

3. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

To help put this in pespective: Of the wounded coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan, many will never have the limbs or the mental ability to work on some old car.

As of today, 5,599 came/come home in boxes.

I like old cars. Hell, I love old cars, but in the larger frame of things they don't amount to much. I have a '41 half ton that has been in my possession for forty-three years. I would give it in a heartbeat for just one GI to have back his arm... or the half his head that's missing.

4. :confused::(

5. oldcarfan

oldcarfan
    BANNED
    from missouri

wtf?

6. calvinh

calvinh

^
    ^
    ^
    Where did that come from?

7. deto

deto

damn that was pretty heavy stuff...

8. tomslik

tomslik

damn, i'd love one of the phonebooths...
    make a great place for a air commpressor....

ravenwood,you must be pretty young....cuz that ain't shit compared to vietnam/korea/both world wars/civil war #1/etc...

9. HRod 50

HRod 50

Hey Man, Puff Puff Pass!!

10. Wow.
    Talk about killing a thread.

11. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I think what he's saying is, put things in perspective, not every old car in the world is gone, yes it's a sad day, but things could be much worse. salute those young soldiers in the process while you are at it.

12. I like the air compressor in a phone booth idea...cool. Of course you'd prob have to ventilate it to cool it, or at least let the heat out, mine makes a hella lotta heat....

13. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

perspective ?? Politics

these things are in no way related

and yeah those phone booths are pretty cool

14. 62nova

62nova

When my brother in law comes back we're HOPING we can find something OLD to work on.

15. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

He's had a '41 half ton for 43 years, that is not "pretty young".

16. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

That has nothing to do with old cars, take your politics away.

17. aldixie

aldixie

The phone booths are cool, especially seeing that they are over here. They make great shower cubicles as well.

18. harrington

harrington
    from Indiana

I would love to have one of theose phone booths, would look great in my shop.

19. Donnie......you are out of your element!!

20. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I wonder if the vibration would knock the glass loose? That's a cool ass idea though.

21. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

I want one of those phone booths.

22. Fordguy321

Fordguy321
    from Arizona

so they cleaned up all that old tin, then in the second pic there building a housing development in the background! uhg

23. Jax2A

Jax2A

Great, thanks for giving me another idea to obseess over!

24. Frank

Frank

Hey! Someone can make the Brit version of the phonebooth car with a Tardis. I'd love to have one of those painted blue!

25. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Hey, Is that one of those gas station eagles that the "Nose Pickers" were after a few episode back?? (next to the phone booths)

26. No the "background" is the far edge of the yard covered in old farm equipment that was likely too big to wad up with the excavators.

27. younggun13

younggun13

lol

28. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Call me on my compressor phone. LOL. We'll have to wait till it kicks off to talk though. I think that eagle is maybe from an old Case tractor dealership. Some said CASE on the lower part. Cool booth's. Lippy

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

compressor phone would never work, remember in a lot of the old ones, there was a fan at the top, they get so hot without one, it's unbearable. if they get that hot from a person, a compressor is going to overheat quick.

30. Just remember this before bitching about the price of something else in the future, the scrap man will always buy stuff and he doesn't give a damn if there's something wrong with it.