Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hugh Scott Wreck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAY With, Jul 26, 2010.

1. RAY With

RAY With

A friend sent me these pictures today and I thought I would post them so all can see what possible with all the new Horsepower capabilitys and ultra light wheels.

Attached Files:

• hs1.jpg
      hs1.jpg
      File size:
      157.8 KB
      Views:
    • hs2.jpg
      hs2.jpg
      File size:
      156.1 KB
      Views:
    • hs3.jpg
      hs3.jpg
      File size:
      145.2 KB
      Views:
    • hs4.jpg
      hs4.jpg
      File size:
      145.3 KB
      Views:
    • hs5.jpg
      hs5.jpg
      File size:
      205.3 KB
      Views:
    • hs6.jpg
      hs6.jpg
      File size:
      63.2 KB
      Views:
  2. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

3. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Thats crazy....that rim looks like aluminum foil.

4. Ultra light; certainly not ultra strong........

Hope the driver AND photographer are OK.

5. RAY With

RAY With

Sorry guys I should of said the driver was fine and without any known injuries. I hate to see any one tear up there car and its weird that a hi dollar beadlock would fold up like that.

6. 62rebel

62rebel

that's some scary stuff. i wonder, though, how much of the damage to the wheel is from the collision with the guardrail and how much from during the trip sideways? i wouldn't expect stock steel rims to hold up at those speeds/force of impact... much less alloy ones.

bottomline is, it can be very risky strapping into a landlocked rocketship!

7. iagsxr

iagsxr

Which wheel is it, LR or RR?

8. RAY With

RAY With

According to reports the wheel broke at launch (right rear) causeing it to launch to the right. This is not the first time rear wheels have broken and caused severe wrecks.

9. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Just look at the motor..when that much HP is applied to the rear wheels instantly..poop-happens !

10. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Are they sure it wasn't an axle that broke? That RR wheel looks pretty good in the first shot. I'm just glad the guy is in good shape! I'm sure his pride is the only thing that's hurt.

11. RAY With

RAY With

DEOn't think his pride was hurt near as much as his pocket book. Lot of cubic dollars bit the bullet there.

12. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I am wondering the same thing. The wheel looks good in the shot when it is off the ground. I am just wondering if the wheel was destroyed due to the side impact of it hitting the wall. You can see by the marks on the tire and bead lock that it took a hell of a side impact.

As others have said though, it doesn't really matter as long as the driver is OK. It's racing, things are going to get broken, however some instances are more spectacular than others.

13. cadams311

cadams311

I read on another site that he got fuel under the tires and it turned him into the wall. As far as the wheel goes they are not designed to handle side impact loads so this is to be expected when bouncing off the wall with that much force.

14. From the pics looks like the axle broke and not the wheel !

15. i bet he changed his pants after that!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek: im glad hes ok but man can you imagine that much horse power and torque to those wheels has enough energy to spin the rim like twisting a soda can thats crazy fast:D

16. Andamo

Andamo

There are some pictures showing fuel being sprayed onto the track from his car causing the car to wreck. We run the same type of wheels on our Extreme Pro Stock Cobalt and these type of wheels aren't meant for high lateral loading. And it's the same with the front wheels and suspension also. When Hugh's car got up on it's side, I'm sure that's what caused the wheel to come apart.

17. pitman

pitman

All of these thoughts help, in understanding what may have caused the break. Appreciated.

18. historynw

historynw

Lucky guy, even the camera men got more than they bargained for. Whats new isn't necessarily better.

19. iagsxr

iagsxr

Sorry, don't think so this time.

And so what if it did, what's your point? It's a freakin' Pro Mod. Breaking parts and subsequently walling it comes with the territory. IMHO