Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Thanks Pete -
    The Remlinger pic is one that i did NOT have in my file! Its there now!!!
    As an aside - the caption shows Larry Brinkley in the photo --- This is the SAME Larry Brinkley that now owns one of Dave Strickler's original 62 409 "Old Reliable" cars!

2. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Pete -
    Thanks -- Just a note - I just returned from the Olds Nationals in Mass where My tribute car was on display right alongside Sam Brady's tribut of Woodland & Andresen's 67 W-30 car. I have some excellent pix i will try to add. I havent been able to get my pix to upload recently so I may have to email them to you to post. Just got a message that my images are too large to upload and that i need to resize them smaller to post and I dont have a program on this computer to resize my images.
    I also have a few better pix of th Gudreau GTO that I will send along and you can post them too.
    Thanks,
    Tweed

3. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

The former RUN to RUND 66 W-30 C/S for 66 season. Forced to SS/E for 67 season. John Molnar drove the car for Rund Olds and then purchased it from them along with Vance Brady in Oct 66 after the U.S. Nationals and campaigned it as the Molnar-Brady car as in your pic.
    Joe Donnelley has re-created this car and is now touring with it!

Attached Files:

4. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

OK.....I had a friend post this photo for me. Skip....your copy is in the mail. Skip is the one standing second from the right. Im knealing first on the right (pre beard days).

Attached Files:

• 407.JPG
      407.JPG
      File size:
      414.1 KB
      Views:
  5. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

BHfanGB,
    Yes, the 67' was quicker. My friend, who worked at the GM Plant in Tarrytown, NY
    got one from a shift manager. 67' Medium Blue with blue interior. The coolest Hurst shifter, with the switch-plate for the dual-gate selector.
    A very quick car, with the new 400 engine, and better transmission, and factory
    3.90 gears.
    He had a Tri-Power manifold and carb set-up for a 389, and swapped the
    intake system, to see what it would do. On Top-end it was a screamer!
    Paul

6. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

S/S,
    I think the AA/S class was established in 1964. It was for the earlier cars
    that could not compete with the new lightweight Hemi S/S cars.
    Max-wedge cars, 62/63 Chevy's and 64' 427 Galaxies.
    Class was that for pretty much 64'/65'/66'.
    In 1967, the stock classes changed, putting the Street Hemi's in AA/S, with 66' 327/350HP Chevy II's and 63'/64' Max-Wedge cars.
    If you campaigned in Super/Stock, the 67' Hemi's ran in SS/B and the Chevy II's in SS/C for 1967.
    The higher classes in 1967, SS/D was for the Chevelle 396/375HP and Firebird 400/340HP
    Ram Air.
    SS/E was for the 440/375HP B-Body Mopars, 302 Z-28's and 396/325HP Camaros
    and 67' Olds 4-4-2 400/360HP and GTO 400/360HP.
    There was also the Max-Wedge cars in SS/B and SS/C, the 427 Ford Fairlanes and Mercury Comets.
    PC

On the results, 1968 Springnationals, Sox & Martin won with their 67' R/O Belvedere
    SS/D (with 'GTX' lettering) over Don Grotheer in a 4-speed SS/B Cuda (all-white Cable Car
    w/red heart on the door).
    PC
    Their SS/B Cuda broke during S/S Eliminations.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  7. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

markyac,
    Thanks for that Dover posting.
    Almost forgot about that Firebird.
    I think, that was a Chevy 327 in their, and not a Poncho engine.
    E/G one tough class at Dover in the late 60's and early 70's.
    PC

8. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

Butch Yurick on your right......

Last time I saw him he was working on the west coast at a racetrack.....

9. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

Haven't seen Butch for 40 years. I'll look for him out here.
    Front row, 2nd from left, "Berserko Bob" Doerrer, announcer. If you really go a long way back, he's "Sandblaster Bob". He always hated that nickname.:D

10. John, I think it was Darwin who got Butch set up with Bruton and LVMS. Some time in the last 10 years, I ran into him at the dragstrip.
    I think he went back east later on to run one of the other track B Smith facilities.

11. Skip Asay

Skip Asay

"Front row, 2nd from left, "Berserko Bob" Doerrer"

Not so. I don't remember just who it is but it isn't "Berserko Bob". That pic was of the certification crew and Bobby was never a part of that.

Skip Asay

12. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Hey. I know Butch. I was racing at Sears Point around 1989 or 90 and Butch came up to me.He had something to do with running the drag strip.

Gary

13. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

'Well David has me beat I started working at Island Dragway in 1963 so I have had a few less years involvement with good Old NHRA. Course the 10 years with Darwin on the Division 1 crew were some of the best. Now I just have to deal with them as the promoter at Auto Club Dragway in Fontana. Thanks to Mitch for putting this group together.....'

Mike (Butch) Yurick

Did some googleing. You can see what Butch is doing now.

Got this from Facebook.

14. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Thanks Doug!! Made a couple shakedown passes at Norwalk. Gots lotsa HP but must get it debugged and Hooked up to the ground! All 3 of the tribute Olds at the Nationals gots lots of attention and many pix taken and many compliments received.
    Joe Donnelly's Run to Rund 66 W-30 tribute car, Sam Murray's Brainbeau 67 W-30 stick tribute car, and my Chesrown tribute W-30 TH400 car.
    Gonna make plans to go to York next year for sure!!

15. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Looks good Tweed.

16. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Class/Stocker,
    Liked that old NHRA proposal, back in 1969.
    Cars from 1955 and up allowed.
    A/S thru F/S (6 classes for Top Stock)
    A/S 7.00 - 7.49
    B/S 7.50 - 7.99
    C/S 8.00 - 8.49
    D/S 8.50 - 8.99
    E/S 9.00 - 9.49
    F/S 9.50 - up
    Slicks; Maximum allowable 9.25"
    Intake; Aluminum dual-plane (After-market allowed)
    Gaskets; Match-porting allowed (1/2" depth maximum)
    Distributor; After-market dual-point permitted
    Plus all the previous permitted up-grades.
    Older cars could utilize newer (Stock Manufacturer) 4-speed manual and 3-speed automatic transmissions, rears, conventional rear suspensions and front-disc brakes.
    Exhaust system could be removed.
    No ladder bars. (Bolt-on only, NHRA-approved traction bars permitted)
    Cars had to have steel wheels or steel mag-type wheels (ie; Cragar or Keystone). No liteweight aluminum units permitted
    PC
    * It would have permitted the 68' Hemi Road Runners to run in B/S (w/stock camshaft),
    and the 62'/63'/64' Max-Wedge cars to run in B/S and C/S, the Max-Wedge wagons to run in D/S and E/S, and allowed the 62' Polara 383/343HP to run in F/S with the 65' Coronet
    426/365HP Street-Wedge.
    * The Race Hemi's had to stay in SS/A and SS/B, as well as the 67' R/O Belvedere and W/O Coronet in SS/D. Super/Stock Max-Wedge cars were classed in SS/D and SS/E.
    * A/S was for the 67' 427/435HP Vette, 68' 427/430HP Vette, 69' 427/430HP Vette, and
    69' 427 ZL-1 Camaro, or SS/C.
    * B/S was for 67' Ford Fairlane 427/425HP, 69' 427/425HP Camaro and 67' and 68' 396/375HP Camaro (w/aluminum heads), or SS/D.
    * C/S was for 67' Ford Fairlane 427/410HP, 67' and 68' 396/375HP Camaro (w/iron heads)
    and 69' 396/375HP Camaro (w/aluminum heads), or SS/E.
    * And so on!!!!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  17. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Gary,

Wow a name from the past. How did you know I was here? Hope all is well with you. Not many people know to call me Butch, Marv Ripes, Wayne Jesel and Dave McClelland are a couple that come to mind. In fact a photog shoot a picture of Marv, Wayne and I at the NHRA SportsNationals race back in May. Wayne happen to be in town on other business and stopped by to see what was going on. The “Butch” name throws people off since they have no idea where the name came from.

Take care, hope to see you at the drags sometime.

Mike (Butch)

Mike Yurick
    Vice President Operations
    Auto Club Speedway
    9300 Cherry Ave
    Fontana, CA 92335

Email I just got from Butch.

18. John Mason

John Mason
    from S. Cal

Skip,
    If that's not Bob it's his evil twin. Look at the pics here -
    http://www.bbobslounge.com/photos.html
    I know he looks in here occasionally. Maybe he'll post.

John;)

19. Great link! :D Thanx for posting it. If you haven't already, you should take a long lunch and check out the photos. The site acted a little wonky for me but you can use this link to go directly to some of the pics.

http://www.bbobslounge.com/Gallery/content/Photos/

NOTICE: Some pics are NSFW!:eek: Others are just tasteless or plain weird.

Here's a couple examples of some of the tamer stuff.

8.jpg

10.jpg

20. LIL BIT

LIL BIT

how about adding
    shaums garage (57 chev)
    ted leidy (65 chev)
    clayton wright(70 plymouth)
    bob grasso(55 chev)
    jack worrell(69 ford)
    butch liberatore(68 camaro)

21. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Just found this photo recently from WCS Atco. I thought it was from 1970, but must be from '71.

Attached Files:

22. Anybody know the whereabouts of Ramon Lowe?

23. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Class-Racer,
    Vic said,
    For 1969 the proposal was
    *Top Stock; A/S thru F/S (7.00-7.49 = A/S) ending at (9.50-9.99 = F/S)
    *Junior Stock; G/S thru N/S (10.00-10.49 = G/S) ending at (13.50-13.99 = N/S)
    *Top Stock and Junior Stock would have manual and automatic classes.
    *Little Stock O/S thru W/S (14.00-14.99 = N/S) ending at (21.00-21.99 = W/S)
    * manual/automatic in one class
    Not sure on 22.00 and above for X/S, Y/S and Z/S..
    Slicks; Top Stock 9.25",,,Junior Stock 8.00",,,Little Stock 7.00"

24. To All Racers
    "Super" Tom Larson is having a very rough time with cancer and chemo. He came to the York show for a few hours and should not have done so. He wore himself out for the short while he was there. 2 Days later he went to get checked and was dehydrated and they put him back in the hospital.
    For those of you that know Tom and those that don't,he is a great guy not deserving of what he is facing right now.
    If you could send him a card,just to klet him know that he is not alone in his fight it would mean alot to him.
    Everyone has to stick together and be friends. We lose too many racers each year because we are getting older. Now is the time to remember someone who is still with us.
    Tom's address is:
    Tom Larson
    1540 Fish &Game Road
    East Berlin Pa. 17316
    Please take the time to send a card.
    Thanks

Dom

25. Keith Berg

Keith Berg

Last time I saw Ramon was in Victorville, Ca. 1997. He was riding senior or masters dirt bikes. He looked good but that was 13 yrs ago.

26. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

I'm really sorry to hear that. Last time I talked to Tom he called me from York last summer encouraging me to make it to the show.

I met Tom about twenty years or so ago at an automotive machine shop in South River, NJ (Nick's Machine) that a friend of mine owns. It was an evening hang out of mine for a long time. I'd see Tom every so often over the years as he'd stop by the shop; I always made sure to bring up the subject of the "good ol' days." :)

Great and friendly guy that "Super" Tom Larson. I will call and try to cheer him up.

Regards,

Pete

27. Paul Ceasrine

Paul Ceasrine
    from Wilton, CT

Class-Racer,
    Vic added,
    For 1969,
    Class called 'Pro' Super/Stock (6 classes) A thru F
    Starting with 'Pro' SS/A (6.00-6.49)
    Ending with 'Pro' SS/F (8.50-8.99)
    10 year old cars could run in Pro Super/Stock

Regular Super/Stock (6 classes) G thru L
    Starting with SS/G (9.00-9.49)
    Ending with SS/L (11.50-11.99)
    15 year old cars could run in Regular Super/Stock, (ie, 57' Chevy's)

28. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

X/S-23.00, Y/S-24.00, and Z/S-25.00 I had a Z/S Vega for a long time..........

29. Simon and Biebel

Simon and Biebel
    from N.J.

I agree with your post Skip.....that is not Bobby Doerr.....

Looks more like Bernie Agaman or someone else who I cannot think of right now...

Bobby Doerr managed E-Town for a long time.....every week he was everywhere on racedays.....I can tell you first hand you didn't want to piss him off by doing something stupid......I was on the receiving end of one of his outbursts......I was at faut for sure as I was doing some short launches at the far end of the pits trying to figure out what was wrong with my '69 Camaro SS/JA......He saw me and flipped out......

He was also always on the mic and was pretty much....BERSERK......all the time.....Funny though for sure....

30. Old Tech Inspector

Old Tech Inspector
    from USA

Originally Posted by markyac [​IMG]
    That 62 GP would have come with the "Slim Jim" Roto-hydramatic 3-speed.
    A real POS ! Those things would leave you at a stoplight!.... Call a wrecker.
    I tried racing a 63 GP ,389, 313 Tri Power motor back in 68-69, with no luck at all. Eventually I put a 4-speed in it, and later, a 421 Tri-Power motor.

Some people had good luck with the Roto-Hydramatic. The Slim-Jim did not use a torque convertor but used a small ( 7 inch ) fluid coupling instead. Unlike the fluid couplings that the dual range hydros had the Slim -Jim had a Stator in it ( For torque multiplication ) GM even had a special race Stator ( either a 20 or 30 degree blade angle unit )to increase the stall speed even more to about 3800 rpm. The trick was to get the valve body to work in phase with the front pump and governor. Coming out of low gear into second the coupling had to empty and the front clutch and neutral clutch had to apply. Once the fluid coupling was empty it was then in third stage, fourth stage or high gear was when the fluid coupling refilled. As you can see the valve body had to work perfectly.

That is the quick version of, it would take about 2 hours to explain the entire function of the RotoHydramatic 375 Transmission

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010