Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junk yard (carpet)Sill plates?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Jul 25, 2010.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Maybe Im just being a cheap skate here but one of my sill plates
    that holds the edge of the carpet down under the doors on my 55 chevy is missing, and the one I have isnt in the greatest of shape.
    By the time I order 2 new ones and have them shipped Im going to be looking at around 60 to 70 bucks:eek:..............so the question is
    Has anyone ever used some out of a diffrent later model etc?
    If so what did you use?
    I want it to look good but :eek:
    A buddy has some junk 54 chevies but Im not sure if they would be similar enough to be used on my 55???
    Any help appreciated!

2. historynw

historynw

I'm missing the ones for my 47 chevy. I previously used some carpet edge trim from from Home Depot it was okay. While I was taking apart the car I decided on new rocker panel trim as one was broke. It seems the broken piece would fit exactly over the floor rim and looked perfect. We recycled the old trim for its new use.47 chevy sill plates are skinny and cost a small fortune.

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

On my car the PO put some diamond plate as sill plates.

Looks better than I woulda guessed.

4. Go up to the cleaner looking 55s at your local cruise and ask them. Most guys building higher end cars replace those, and most hot rodders throw very few parts in the trash.

They won't be 100% mint, but I bet they are above average. I bet you come up with some.

5. firemancooter

firemancooter

If i remember correctly I used ones off a 70s camaro on my 50 chevy and they looked good. I might have modified them a bit but cant remember.