Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good price on Optima Battery?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JamesG, Jan 25, 2005.

1. JamesG

JamesG

Is there anyone here than can hook us up with a good price on an Optima battery.

2. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

costco out here in denver sells red tops for $100.00, seems fair to me

3. I work at Costco, they run $100.00 which is about the cheapest I've seen them anywhere.

Dave

4. OOps...already posted [​IMG]

5. timebandit

timebandit
    from Norway

I know its not your question but I wouldnt use them unless its a daily driver. They dont take storage whitout charging
    very well. And when they run down they are dead. Lots of
    guys stopped using them for that reason.
    Thats my 2c anyway.
    -Thomas

6. JamesG

JamesG

Well, I have airbags on the '61 and my Compressor runs a lot if I'm using them a lot, so I need something that can take that plus I want a bigass battery to handle my car anyway, so I thought an Optima would be the way to go?

7. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

[ QUOTE ]
    I know its not your question but I wouldnt use them unless its a daily driver. They dont take storage whitout charging
    very well. And when they run down they are dead. Lots of
    guys stopped using them for that reason.
    Thats my 2c anyway.
    -Thomas

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I must just have good luck then, cuz I have a red top in my chevy II, and it sits all winter, and then cranks an almost 12:1 406 back to life without the slightest hint of trouble (it's only 3 years old, maybe it will give me shit when it gets a little older? [​IMG])

8. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

ya but they have a two year warranty, and at the Costco by my house they ask no questions if you have you recipt. they just give you a new one, they don't even test them!

9. JamesG

JamesG

[ QUOTE ]
    ya but they have a two year warranty, and at the Costco by my house they ask no questions if you have you recipt. they just give you a new one, they don't even test them!

[/ QUOTE ]

How many have you taken back? [​IMG]

10. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

11. daign

daign
    from socal

Avoid the optimas, especially if you are purchasing one for starting purposes and storage length. They tend to have high failure rates and quality control issues. A Interstate Marine Deep Cycle will do equally as well if not better in the long run and be cheaper.

Only thing a Yellow Top is good for is a door stop and holding balloons from flying away. [​IMG]

12. daign

daign
    from socal

FWIW a buddy of mine used to be an Optima Dealer but stopped because 70% of the Optimas he installed came back toast. He's also the same one that recommended the interstate marines to me.

I went through 2 optimas learning my lesson. $240 down the drain.

13. lownslow

lownslow

i have a gold top one...what can i expect as far as life out of it ?...i have had it since last may .......i have heard great things about em and bad things....so.... [​IMG].....would a higher output alternator be a a good option as i run bags too .....i figured that may help keep up with the compresssor ?????? ...

14. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

Post deleted by happy hoppy

15. daign

daign
    from socal

A HO alternator won't help bags too much unless you are suffering voltage drops when the compressors kick in while the car is running. Most bag setups are often filling the tank while the car is parked, therefore its relying on the battery completely.

Some people have had great luck with optimas. I know tons of believers. I had 2 fail, and it cost me tows and time. The dealers just have to replace them alot. Their warranties are so good it doesn't really matter, but I hate tow trucks and I hate being stranded in Vegas. [​IMG]

You guys whom own them should be fine, I'm just unlucky [​IMG]

16. J.D.

J.D.
    from Clovis, CA

I should say mine went bad because of me, the first on was in a '55 Ford truck with a GM alt. that was not hooked up right by the previous owner, so I ran that one dead.

the other two where in my Lincoln that was sitting in the cold for a couple of years, I wasn't starting it or anything just letting it sit.

either way the warranty makes it worth it to me

17. 52Chief

52Chief
    from San Diego

I have a 6 volt Optima, never had a problem, even after sitting for short lengths of time, (I've never parked my car except for a few months at a time). And it always fires right up.

18. I disagree, I know a dozen guys that use them and let them sit. They always take a charge when needed.

19. el Roach

el Roach
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I run an old Optima in my T that I pulled out of my sand rail two years ago. Doesn't seem to mind if I run it every day or not for 3 weeks, it turns over every time.
    It also was a blem that I picked up. You can find them at some of the swap meets around here in the NW for $50-75 for blems from dealers. I'm a believer in them.

20. Muttley

Muttley

This is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about them. I have had them in two different cars and never had one problem with either. Best battery you can buy IMO.

21. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

****I**** ****had**** ****not**** ****heard**** ****of**** ****any**** ****problems**** ****before**** ****this****, ****I**** ****thought**** ****it**** ****was**** ****just**** ****this**** ****battery****. ****I**** ****have**** ****a**** ****red**** ****top**** ****and**** ****it**** ****does**** ****not**** ****hold**** ****a**** ****charge**** ****for**** ****shit****. ****After**** ****a**** ****week**** ****its**** ****drained**** (****only**** ****a**** ****year**** ****old****). ****I**** ****did**** ****not**** ****have**** ****any**** ****drain**** ****issue**** ****with**** ****my**** ****old**** ****Interstate****..

22. FEDER

FEDER

I went through 2 also with My racecar. Went back to interstate. Feder

23. AHotRod

AHotRod

I've got one in my A coupe, that get's driven a few times a week when I'm home ( I travel allot for work) and sit's all the time went I'm gone. I also had one in my Willys coupe I built, it sat around a year will I was building the car..and works fine...although I sold the car 4 days after I finished it.
    I too, have heard the Good, the Bad and the Ugly... You decide!

24. hollywud

hollywud

[ QUOTE ]
    This is the first time I have ever heard anything bad about them. I have had them in two different cars and never had one problem with either. Best battery you can buy IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here....I run Two compressors and my sound system on my yellow top..Never had problem one...As much as I use my Compressors..Its never Done me wrong..even when it sits for long periods. [​IMG]

25. JamesG

JamesG

Thanks everyone for the feedback. From what I've read here I think that maybe some folks are using the wrong Optima for the wrong job. I think I will go with a yellow top. [​IMG]

26. 3bytheknee

3bytheknee
    from Sonora, CA

I'm told that the Optima goes totally tits-up without any warning, and it's unrecoverably dead. Usually a battery tells you it's in trouble by slowing down on the starts. Not so with Optima, I am told. [​IMG]

27. hollywud

hollywud

They say that the BLUE TOPS are for marine applications...The RED TOPS are for High performance AUDIO systems
    and the YELLOW TOPS are for Hydraulics/Airbag Pumps/compressors anything that draws Mucho current.
    Like I said..I have had my Battery for about a year and a half and my compressors for about a Year...NO problems.

28. JamesG

JamesG

Ok, I got a Red Top. This is why and what they told me....

The red top is basically for starting the car.

The Yellow Top is for Acc.'s(stereo's, airride, ...)

And of course the Blue Top is for marine applications.