Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alleganyccr

alleganyccr
    from Burt, NY

Can anybody tell me anything about (not sure of the spelling) Van's Speedway (or maybe just "Van") in Sheridan, NY? All I know is that it's not around any more.
    Also- talked briefly to a man who has been following racing most of his life, seems like an encyclopedia, and probably has enough memorabilia to open his own museum. He's also flagged a few tracks- matter of fact, he was getting ready to go do that when I called him today. I don't remember the number, but he's been to over 100 tracks. Will be speaking with him again soon. He's going to give me all the infomation I need on a place called Johnnie Speedway (closed in 1967)- North Collins, NY.

Scott

2. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Found these while uploading,from middletown late 70's early 80's .....Rich

Attached Files:

3. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Another batch....Rich

Attached Files:

4. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Final batch for tonite.....

Attached Files:

5. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

Thats when Stock cars where cool Rich. I sure miss all those cars.

6. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

I think that's P.B. Crowell at Nashville.

7. how did the Late Models hold up to the Mods???

Thanks Rab for sharing, you could of easily just put them at the bottom of a lake, but you shared the stories of these great drivers...thank you so much for the photos you have posted, a lot of stuff we post is asphalt, but the driver used to switch back and forth before the chassis became fabricated instead of stock chassis that were worked on!

8. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Bull father, Thanks! I've got another 20 to 30 more that I've found but my scanner FELL IN THE LAKE!!!!!or possible heat stroke? And as soon as it dries out or cools down I'll post the rest, BE MY GUEST AND BORROW AS MANY AS YOU WANT for any other uses you need them for, You have my OK and I don't even need to have the photo credits......Rich

9. hahah thanks Rab, I just post here nowhere else with photos. We're approaching a milestone and may reach it in a month or two, I'm also getting close to one soon too! This post has got to be in the top10 if not the top5 of all time posts on this site, a hot rodding site at that too!:O)

10. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Post #6305 has Lou Reboli's # 4 racing out of Stony Brook LI. Lou owned the cars Gene Suizdak drove from 67 to 70 or so & now does fab work in Patchogue.

This car was initially driven by Joe Hassan but Joe got tired of the Sat nite pulls up to Orange County and Jeff Yascinsac started driving it. Jeff & Lou made a very strong competition in the 320 class at OC and Nazareth.

11. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

12. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

13. kholm65

kholm65
    from NY

Seymour the Clown

Attached Files:

14. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

A Big thinks for more photos of the Big "O"!
    Ollie was a always my favorite. He seemed to build cars that were low budget, but he always got them to handle.

15. EEZI

EEZI

I believe that is at Monadnock in about 1976 and the winged car was Bentley Warren, there for an open-competition show. Painted with stars and stripes which fits with the 1976.
    Of course the #0 is Ollie Silva.

16. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Bullfather, What track is that in post #6314? Denny Z

17. sprintcar4j

sprintcar4j
    from New Jersey

Its Amazing how much stuff is lifted from Joe's site.

18. Captain History

Captain History

Scott -
    Van's Speedway closed around 1960. It was 1/4-mile dirt oval located on a hill in Sheridan, NY. One of the big winners there was a driver named Tommy Black.

19. Denny, I could be wrong, but it might be Riverhead, can anyone confirm or deny this???

20. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Taken from the racershub.com
    ~~~~~~~~~~

Hinchliffe Stadium Racing Expo
    This years show is shaping up to be the best one yet. The Pados brothers will be broadcasting their Carquest Gasoline Alley Show from the Stadium. DJ Joey Metro will again be deejaying the show. The Flemington Speedway Historical Society will be taking part in the show.

We have a wide array of vintage and modern day (Both open cockpit & stock) race cars taking part in the show and can accomodate more.

If you would like to take part in the show, please contact Ronny Dennis (718)344-0502. ---- It is FREE to enter the show.

This years show will take place on Sunday September 5, 2010.
    Gates open to paticipants at 10 am
    Show starts at 12 noon and runs all day

Admission is FREE.
    The Hinchcliffe Old Timers segment of the show runs between 1pm-5pm

Hinchliffe Stadium is located in Paterson, N.J., on the corner of Liberty St. and Maple St. next to the Great Falls.

The future of Hinchliffe Stadium and the possibility of the return of auto racing to this historic facility is looking brighter than ever.

Come out and show your support for the Stadium. While your there you can check out the Great Falls Festival. There is something for everyone.

See you at the SHOW!
    (Ron Dennis)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010

21. Spreading the gospel. Never heard of the site you refer to-I'm sure it's amazing.

But to be fair to the competitors, owners, and fans of cars like these(Which gave the photographer a reason to show up and take pictures), Goobers in the sticks like me can see these pictures for the first time.

Thanks to people like "Joe", that is happening.
    Spread the gospel brother, spread the gospel.

22. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

I think he means 3 Wide
    http://www.3widespicturevault.com/index.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.