Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Tom McMullen "Fun Run" Orange, CA 1982 Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce3wCpe, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

..found this in another thread about Don Varner:

[​IMG]

lot of differences .......same car?

2. abone1930

abone1930

Cool picks, Days of Champ 500's :D Is this model a still around? Cool car :D

Attached Files:

3. Beano

Beano
    from Pa.

Some things never change , you pull into an event , find a nice parking spot , and 5 minutes later some dick wad parks right next to you in a Gremlin .

Attached Files:

• 1207.jpg
      1207.jpg
      File size:
      93.6 KB
      Views:
  4. That was Tom McMullen's own Tub (Phaeton) we watched it go together in Street Rodder and I used to see it at the office regularly (I worked for Truckin' then, another title he owned)
    The cat is the logo for TRM (or maybe it was McMullen Publishing by then, can't remember) at that time. That car was state of the art in it's day and was very famous!

5. I think that is Brizio's car. Definitely NOT Varner's. I think that's Too Tall Ganahal standing there, maybe we should ask him.

6. I was 13 years old and buying every issue of SRM I could afford! Lots of these cars made an impression on me. And even back then I thought the A roadster would look better w/o the crappy Champ 500s!

7. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

[​IMG]

hahaha..wait and see, the Gremlins will have their day.........ok maybe not.

those palm trees in the back of that shot are friggin cool...almost look like they were painted in.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I believe Don Klein/San Diego may still own it. IIRC, the car was on the cover of Popular Hotrodding in the early 70's. Don bought it decades ago and did a full rebuild of the car. Bitchin Hot Rod!

9. NealinCA

NealinCA

Are you guys blind? All talkin about the Gremlin...all I am seeing is a bad ass Hot Rod. I saw that 32 sedan at the '82 or '83 March Meet. I still have a picture of it somewhere. The car still looks as good to me now as it did to me then. Thanks for pics.

Neal

10. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Tom's Tub appeared (pre hood and strpies/mural treatment) at the end of Van Halen's "Hot for teacher" video;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ellez_NkpX0

The Mc mullen's had a pet cougar

11. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

The black Tudor with the injected blown small block and cragars... I don't care if it was the 70's or the 80's... I DIG IT!

12. Chuck R

Chuck R

Here is Tom's car in an old Van Halen video. If you are impatient just fast forward to about 4:16 seconds.
    chuck
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0XLKcMoXRE

13. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

What ever happened to "Tom's Fun Run"? This was a charity poker run in SoCal, but ended after the 27th edition in 2004. It was billed as SoCal's oldest hot rod driving event.
    http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/...run/index.html
    <!-- / message --><!-- edit note --><HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1>

14. Tom passed away....

15. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yes, I know Tom died in a private plane crash in 1995. But Tom's Fun Run did continue until 2004. I know it was put on by Street-Rodder Magazine. I don't know why they stopped putting on the run. You would think it would be good publicity for the magazine (where subscriptions may be on the decline) and hot rod venders (where stops are made for the poker run). It also encouraged people to get out and enjoy their cars. I know had a great time. If it cost too much for the magazine to sponser, maybe they could hook-up with a non-profit organization to raise money --> cancer research, etc.

16. [​IMG]
    Yes this car is still around! Belongs to Quicksand in San Diego. It is still just the same!!

17. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

Just noticed the drive inn was still across the street- chuck norris movie on the markee, I miss that drive inn.

Attached Files:

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brings back memories!!!-----Tom,Deanna---Dick Scritchfield, Marian---& my wife & I were heading to the Sedona AZ. rod
    run,(one of the first), cruizing 75 when a CHP pulled us over (at that time I was sporting a small mustache & wearing CHP style sunglasses), I radioed Tom who was in front & said "let me do the talking"-----My next door neighbor then was a capt. in CHP & Commander of West Valley Division & had given me his business card.

As we all pulled over, & the officer approched us 3 standing there, I pulled out the Captains business card & gave it to him, after reading it & looking at me, he asked if we were all CHP?----Tom & Scritch saying NO, all together, I didn't say anything, but the officer thinking it was MY CARD, did not even ask for our drivers license, but instead, said " You guys better slow down!!)----& he left!!!!!!-----WHEW!!!

Needless to say, we lucked out on that one!!!------Don:):)