Register now to get rid of these ads!

Paso Robles, CA?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Rusty

Rusty

We are planning on heading out to PAso this year. Just wondering if it is as good as everyone says? With that said how does it compare to other stuff yall have been too? What about in comparison to the Lone Star Roundup or a Hamb Drags. Just dont want to be let down when we get out there. And if you have been there tell your good stories and what somoene should do if they do go. Thanks for any advise. Rusty

2. FONZI

FONZI

Paso is a blast. I think it is worth the trip for sure. We camp every year and have a damn good time!

FONZI

3. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

My first Paso was in about 1995. It was smaller then but still a real fun time. It's WAY bigger now and a LOT more fun. Only draw back is that motel prices have gone through the roof.

Definatley worth the drive!

4. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Paso is so big now and it's Memorial Day weekend that if you can get a room, you pay thru the nose for it! Super awesome show though. Friday is the cruise down the main drag, then you can hit the A&W (used to be one anyway) and they usually have a band playing in the parking lot. Then Saturday is the show, Saturday night is the Shifter's Party at the Bowling Alley. That was fun, they have a bar and a coffee shop. Every year bands play on the lanes and last year they did half naked wrestling chicks with duct tape pasties....Sunday is pretty calm but you are only 40 miles away from Morro Bay (ocean water son). The show is so big that there are cars lined up ALL OVER. The streets are packed with Kustoms and Rods of all caliber. I'd go....oh wait I am going [​IMG]
    Brandy

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

I bet you'll have a blast. Good cars, people and atmosphere. A bunch of the Kontinentals came last year. I thnk they enjoyed it. The biggets bummer is the cost of hotels. One inside tip is to stay at Camp Roberts about 10 miles away. It's a military base with barracks for rent. My favorite Paso years were spent dinking out there. I don't have any contact info, sorry.

6. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

I was stationed at Camp Roberts in 1970 for a couple months before being sent to Vietnam. A buddy of mine bought an old '64 Merc. Comet with a dented up fender that we drove around in. There wasn't much going on around there, only a couple bars for nite life. Went to San Louis Obispo a couple times but most of the ladies didn't want to have anything to do with "government employees" back then.
    Only saw one nice ride, It was a chopped Stude. truck, the first one I'd ever seen.

7. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I tell ya, as happy as I am with the way the Roundup has turned out to be, it doesn't come anywhere close to Paso. It is the shit.

I've only made it out there once, but I'll be back.

8. Von Scott

Von Scott
    from fresno,ca

I'm there! whether I get my '27 olds done or not. I am only a few hours away though. Not much of a drive.

9. JSM56

JSM56

definitely worth the trip. you could always do what i did, sleep in the car. its not that bad, and you can take hobo showers in public restrooms. i wouldnt hesitate to do it all over.

10. =mike=

=mike=

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Were there !!!!

12. Rusty

Rusty

[ QUOTE ]
    Were there !!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll second that

13. HoldFast

HoldFast

It's probably that I'll be there. It's a blast. Be prepared for it to be hot as all hell though.

Eat at bubba's...I think that's the name of the bbq burger place. Good stuff.

Also might check out the pismo beach set up. Top notch rides and its on the beach... go to mothership and get tatted. haa.

14. man, i'm glad you asked. i needed to know the dates. we're gonna bring the nomad, and a coupla guys who've never been to a rod and kustom type show. look out courtney, here we come!

15. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Be prepared for it to be hot as all hell though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, we're from TEXAS! I don't think the heat in Northern California is gonna bother them. Especially after they drive through the desert.

16. Slide

Slide

Yeah, I had to go to Anaheim (yeah, I know it's Southern Cal, but that's kinda my point.) for a press check a coupla summers ago. They were saying, "Be sure to bring shorts 'cause it's real hot out here this week." I got there and the highs were like 86 degrees, and they were still saying how hot it was. And they don't even know what humidity is there.

When I left Dallas for that trip it was 106 degrees, and about 80% humidity. [​IMG]

17. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Yeah, I'm so friggin' excited about Paso I jump up and down when I think about it! What a fuckin' blast!

Anywho, for anyone who would chose to czech 'em out, here's our little group from 2004. Me and a bud built a a pile for $400, drove it there and back (400 miles?!?!) with almost no hitches. It got impounded once we got back to our town, but thats another story.

Wanna check out our 2004 trip? Our Pictures right Here.

We're going to have more (and better) cars this year, and anyone who wants to cruise down with us is welcome to join. We're in Livermore, CA.

Oh yeah, and excuse the stupidity in the pictures linked to above. We had fun, at least....

Hey, Kojack, you coming with us this year?

18. Rusty

Rusty

Cool I cant wait to go this year. Looks like we will have a blast

19. monsterflake

monsterflake

i've always been curious about the 'trouble' alluded to (by RF maybe?) in '03. something about clubs clashing/bashing?

20. BIG FUN in Paso. Besides all the stuff mentioned, be sure to walk around the different motel parking lots, back streets, and allys. They're usually LOADED with cool cars that don't care to be in the park on show day. AWESOME!

21. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Paso is Memorial Day weekend May 27-30th. The only bashing I've ever seen is the Hells Angels pulling knifes. Other then that everyone seems to get along real well. Beware the CHP, they sit and wait at the bowling alley to pull drunks over. There's a link called Cars, Bars and Guitars. Good site. I'd suggest you bring sunblock for the days. It's not that its hot, but so clear that you burn burn burn! Heck I drive a topless car and I still burn something terrible. At night it's colder then a frogs ass. So you need to be ready for the changes. Bubba sure is good eatin! Morro Bay is 40 miles down the coast and is worth seeing. Even if you have to sleep in the car and hobo wash, its worth it. I spent the first year in an empty parking lot sleeping and washing up at the local Chevron Station....oh memories!
    x
    Brandy

22. HoldFast

HoldFast

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Be prepared for it to be hot as all hell though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, we're from TEXAS! I don't think the heat in Northern California is gonna bother them. Especially after they drive through the desert.

[/ QUOTE ]

bah...didn't notice that. True that. Texas is something horrid when it gets warm. I was out in kentucky for weak last summer. I took 4 showers every day. But hell. I'm from santa cruz and am out in San Francisco now. I'm used to a whole different climate now. haaa.

Paso gets pretty damn hot pretty much every year. They're little shade so you will burn. It's not a hummid heat so it's different than texas. Very dry. Hot hot wind.

Brandy_going down to the bay is an awesome idea. Pismo isn't to far of a job either. My girlfriends family is down there and we spend some time down there. Great area. Great camping down there as well if you'd rather stay down there and drive into paso for the fun every morning.

23. It is chaos out there. I had a great time last year, hell
    I was hanging with Bob Bleed, Jaker, Evel, MaxWedge, etc.
    We all met in LA and drove up the coast highway, that trip up the PCH in my hot rod is in my life highlights.

The trip back took forever, even at almost 2x the speed
    limit. Just a note when you flip out your windshield
    because it is 100deg. sometimes the bees don't die when the
    hit the back of your dash, they just get really pissed off.

With all that said I still hold the Hunnert Car Pileup as
    my favorite show. Hopefully the Jalopy Showdown will make
    the list too.
    TZ

24. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

[ QUOTE ]

Just a note when you flip out your windshield
    because it is 100deg. sometimes the bees don't die when the
    hit the back of your dash, they just get really pissed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they get real angry and sting the CRAP outta ya! The little ba$tards!

Brandy

25. paso is the best carshow in my opinion. if you like seeing the cars in motion, then paso is for you. the show is so over filled that it is hard to see everything. and there are always awesome cars going in and out. so much shit in alleys and back parking lots. so fun. and the cops are really cool, too!!

sleep in your car. its a great bonding experience.

26. Buzz

Buzz
    from Illinois

I lived in San Miguel and went to Paso Robles High in the late 50's and early 60's. At that time most of the guys ran 49 through 53 Chevys and Shoe Box Fords. The 55 and 57 Chevys were owned by guys that were out of school with full time jobs. Me, I had a 50 Olds....wish I had it today.

27. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

I hope this is going to be a good weekend as we've arranged our trip of a lifetime so we can make this show.

Coming from England were staying in Cambria, seeing as i have never been to America how far away is Paso from there and is it easy to find, also is there stuff there for kids to do?

Daisyduke [​IMG]

28. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

There are a few Pomes coming out this way as well as the Aussies. Should be a good time.
    x
    Brandy

29. Samantha

Samantha

Daisyduke: Cambria is not that far from Paso. I don't know where you are staying in Cambria, but anything along Moonstone Drive would be awesome. I've stayed at the White Water Inn a bunch of times...really nice & right across from the beach. As far as stuff for kids, the beachcombing is great. The beach is very rocky, so there are alot of tidepools, hiking, wildlife - your kids will have a blast. I bet you will love Cambria, it is really beautiful. Have fun!

30. Daisyduke

Daisyduke

Thanks gals, really looking forward it.

We're staying at Creekside Inn. Have no idea where that is.

Hope to meet some of you folks.

Daisyduke [​IMG]