Register now to get rid of these ads!

Crappy work from Winfields Rod and Custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cuomo73, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RichG

RichG

No, it sounds like he doesn't care what Gene says or does, he's just gonna lay it out for everyone to see.

EDIT: not judging, just sayin'

2. 390kid

390kid

i have seen this chop on more than a dozen cars of this vintage at my friends shop. each car is metal finished and leaves the shop looking real nice. if payed for that chop stuck my head inside and saw how beat it was how could you move forward with puttin a paint job over that shit. would have striped it back down too, instead of throwing good money at bad. not everyone is a builder and this guy took his car to a well known builder and trusted him, and look what he got. the proof is in the puddin and that work is crap.

3. True.
    I misread that..

4. slammed

slammed

You have an issue with the Winfield shop. NO one else can give you what you want: i.e. refund, re-do, ect. Pitch a tent. And TBAG there are no 'ball licker's' here.

5. hoodlumkurt

hoodlumkurt

i dont think he posted this here to get something from you or anyone else. seems like he just wanted to give a heads up on the type of work he received from a shop that all of us know of and some might have used in the future.

6. bob cutler

bob cutler

Next time do it yourself not much fun in paying people to do the work for you.

7. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

Agreed
    And also irrespective of who did the work,I think we can all agree that the quality sucks

8. ray

ray
    from colorado

the quality of that work looks exactly like the chop Gene was doing at Salina this weekend.

9. Nik

Nik

I can't believe that came out of ANY professional body shop, let alone one with the history and accolades that Gene's shop has. I wish Gene would hop on here and let us know how this could come out of his place looking like that. I'm in complete shock just looking at the pics...........

10. choptvan

choptvan

AGREED! I was standing there watching. Watched some real big mistakes. But i was looking at the other chop job on the 4 door. THat was looking good. Drilling spotwelds and taking the car apart in areas to make it look cleaner and more pro. That i the way to do things. Not cutting uo into the roof to move a b pillar over? WTF? There were large mistakes made. And I to wonder if this was some of the same work.

11. How many here recall the photos of Maybellene after the storm at Scottsdale? Damaged quarter panel had what looked to be 1/2" of filler in it.

There's a reason customs have been called lead sleds and bondo buggies for 60+ years.

12. Black Primer

Black Primer

Right-On! I sure as hell would'nt bring anything back to someone who hacked on my ride like that. I would however be looking for my money back.

13. harrydude

harrydude
    from ab

you are missing my point....................

point is that the whole stry was no stated......

now I know you paid lots for shit werk........

but what was stated as for the finish of the job???was it to be metal finished??

were you clear on what you wanted???? I am sure you were ...but was it in writing????

but all said and done.........go get a answer from gene.....
    and were you watching th progress of the chop?

14. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Really?

15. cuomo73

cuomo73

Kinda hard to watch progress 300 miles away, I was told i would get updated pics. I got pics once in the whole year. Every time I was there, filler was over the area worked on. Never saw the actually metal work.

16. 29 bones

29 bones
    from so cal

the pics, are what they are...bad work.!!!!..looks like hurry hurry....work

17. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I would be disappointed too... Thats to bad dude.. Buy that book how to chop tops and learn how to TIG weld. I bet you can do better than that..

18. Exactly. If this was any other shop, the comments for the most part would be entirely different.

Those defending that it was an employee, and not GW himself, doing the work. Did he pay in the price range of a GW chop, or the price of a bondo monkey chop? Makes a big difference here. I'm betting he paid bigger bucks for a name.

19. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I know you can't un-ring a bell, but if you had posted the pics, and how much you paid before saying where the work came from in your OP, you would have had very different answers and opinions, even form some of the folks who are expressing STRONG opinions now.

I am going to have to show Mr. Winfield the respect that age brings, but I will have to say I would be disappointed to spent that kind of dough on what you got. I was more disappointed with the work visible from the bottom, than the work on the top of the car, but it was all kind of disappointing.

Times have changed, old cars are even more rusty, and HAMB standards are high.....

20. If this thread gets shut down, it would be the lamest move over.

21. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

to everybody here that says "Do it yourself"....

GET REAL. We all love cars, and we all love working on cars, but I know my limits, and chopping a top is well beyond my capabilities, my expertise, my capacity, and my patience. That's when I pay somebody else that is supposed to know what they are doing to do it right.

Not all of us work on cars for a living.

22. Really?? sounds to me that this guy paid top $$ to have a "LEGEND" Do the chop on his car (and wallet) maybe to increase the value, and what he got after waiting way to long was not what was expected.IF he had talked to people that had that shop do work in the past (body not paint) He might not have had taken it there,This is'nt a new story and its just getting aired where the cybernation can hear it,and some are feelin like a hero is getting bashed,maybe-maybe not but this is a ageold story in the Kustom world.Not just Gene but plenty of others......I once had a true craftsman and builder in the LA area once tell me of another hollywood type builder "****** ****** could fuck up a rock in a sand pit!"..so lets see what can be done to make the car right and bondo the chink in the "legends"armor

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  23. Brickster

Brickster

Are you in LOVE with punctuation?

Who would ask for that? He should have in writing asked for the work he got? "please Mr. Windfield I would like a poorly done chop with less than marginal metal work. Oh while your at it could you do some crummy body work and just throw some primer on everything"

Yea thats what he should have done. ;(

24. 390kid

390kid

haha thats funny. Are you fixing the car? If you are please show us what its supposed to look like. This poor guy got bent over.

25. solid

solid

The old guys didnt metal finish stuff like Ian does. I'm sure you all seen the legends car (53/54 chev) on monster garage. That car turned out real cool, but it looked a little sketchy getting there. Thats how it was done. This guy paid a lot of money, and should have gotten quality work. I have a hard time believing he(GENE) didnt know that car was being cut like that in his shop, if he didnt, he should have. If he wasnt doing the chop, the guy doing it should have at least got an ass jackin or fired. If i was paying 15 grand for a chop i would make sure gene was doing it, that way if it was jacked up it at least would have some resale. I'm not against alittle bondo work on those kind of jobs, but that car would have needed alot of it.

26. 52pig

52pig

Even if I was a sales rep for Mc-deuche & Combover, I would probably still take the time to learn and do things my self. That seems to be a big part of what we do. You are never to old to learn are ya?
    I just hope he gets his car done the way he wants it, if that is the way he's gonna have it done.

27. ray

ray
    from colorado

really, thousands of witnesses. in fact the car in the OP is probably nicer.

i call it 'period" quality.

i won't slam the guy, the working conditions at the show are the worst possible. he had plenty of help too, lucky for gene, he gets most of the "credit".

FWIW part of the reason i drove a shitbox truck to Salina this year was because my sled is torn down re-doing some similar quality work done by myself, before it gets paint. i've learned and improved. at the same time, just because i can do nice metalwork now, doesn't mean i always do. rare is the customer that can and will pay for metal finished work, even when i am the customer.

28. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Sorry to hear of your woes, Cuomo73. After seeing that workmanship, I'm glad I did all my own work on my truck. I think I did much better work than whoever did that chop. If that were my car, I'd be pissed and venting here too.

29. _charles_

_charles_
    from Tampa, Fl

I'm actually pretty young, and own my own business with employees. I spend 70+ hours a week working, and try to spend my spare time with my 7 year old and my pregnant wife.

I've been trying to get into a welding class for over 2 years, and I 'might' be able to squeeze it in next year, if all goes well. Still doesn't mean I'd take on a chop. Anyways, my HOA would have a fit if I tried to do it in my 2 car garage.

30. wow... this is amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.