Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford 226 Flathead 6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Dec 28, 2009.

1. belair

belair

Just got a 51 pickup with the 6-banger in it. Run good, smokes a little. I know NOTHING about these mills. Can anyone help get me up to speed? Thanks.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

they are very under rated little motors. given the right treatment and aftermarket parts,they can be very peppy. they had a little more power than their big V8 brother and would often kivk their butt, you can still find parts around for these.

3. James Curl

James Curl

Do a search for "flathead 6's lets see them" that was posted earlier today. Some of them will be able to answer your questions.

4. Crankhole

Crankhole

Speed parts are out their...but expensive.

5. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Somewhere, I've got a Mechanix Illustrated from 1950 with an article comparing the six cylinder Ford car to the V8. The six beat the V8 in every acceleration time through 70 mph; the V8 couldn't go by it until 80.

6. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Feb 1951 HRM ( Don Francisco article) Cal Bill's Ford Speed Manual (reprinted) and a Ford shop manual. That is about as good as you get but will answer all your questions. They generally have no major problem areas (cracks) like the V8's. One thing you will notice now that you own one is that they are actually everywhere and usually very inexpensive or free. Speed equipment for them is rare and not cheap but you can get lucky. The later H/M series (yours) is the better one to work with.

7. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

BELAIR...HOTROD is right about those little ford 6s. it doesn't make sence they can run like they do. but science say's a bumble bee can't fly. i'am not a FLATTY mechanic, but brother we have the BEST flathead mech. on h.a.m.b. and that's no cow patty's...POP.

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Like most other L head engines of the era, they are long stroke, small bore, torque makers. HP is 95 at 3300, and torque about 120 lb ft at 1600 or so. The biggest bang for the buck is to mill the head to increase compression as most did their work with CRs in the 6 to 1 neighbothood. .050 to .070 is a good range. Free up the exhaust, maybe find another intake and split it for dual carbs, crank in a bit more advance than factory and enjoy. they do not like a lot of RPMs, and gearing probably leaned to hauling and towing, so a lower numerical rear end will relax things if freeway cruising will be in its future.

If you don't want to fool with the manifold you can get o of those 2bbl to 1 bbl adapters and slap a small 2bbl on for a little more umph. the Mopar 6 did that in 56 and it was good for 8hp.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

they're a tough engine. I have one in my F-2 and it has taken a beating and keeps going. I doubt you could treat a flat 8 like I have the flat six.

10. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Welcome to 226 ownership!

For those who have already done it, how can I tell if the head has already been milled somewhere it its life?

These guys list a header flange in case you want to build your own intake/exhaust:
    http://www.victoryheaderflanges.com/headerflanges_ford.html
    The tricky part is the Lodamatic distributor. The vacuum advance is venturi vacuum and won't work correctly if you change carbs. I'm very interested in how people are getting around this without looking for an old aftermarket unit. What later model distributors can be swapped or modified to work? I'd still like to convert to a Ford EDIS system from a 4.0L but that's OT here. . .

11. belair

belair

GREAT videos, Tim-I wish it could be done that fast! I always wondered about flathead vale andspring installation and adjustment. Very informative. It looks like the rods have inserted bearings-is that right? And yes, 48fordor, EDIS would be cool, and probably better recieved here than you think.

12. Yes, all the Fords were using inserts by the '50s. They made a "pre-war" 226 also and I think they used the valve, guide and spring set up like the V8 and the 9-N/2-N/8-N. They were a different engine although the same cubic inches.

13. There was also a long stroke version at 254 c.i.

14. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

guys used to take the heads from big truck engines and use them for speed equipment. it was cheap and functional.

15. mustangsix

mustangsix

16. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Actually, it used the same stroke and a .200 inch larger bore.

17. Tim G

Tim G

This is interesting, a friend of mine has just bought a 49 F3 with a flathead 6, we now nothing of these engines so he'll be stoked to see all this information :)

18. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Actually that is backwards, they put the 226 heads on the 254 to bump compression. Think of it like the Ford (3-3/4") and Merc (4") flathead V8. The Merc had the longer stroke and larger head volume to create the same CR as the Ford . Likewise the 254 heads have a larger head volume than the 226 to keep the CR the same. So putting the 226 heads on the 254 would be like putting Ford V8 heads on the Merc motor.

I also found somewhere that the 254 used a carb with a bigger bore than the 226 so the hole in the intake was slightly larger as well, so that might help out some on the intake side. (I would need to really dig to get the info again on the intakes, but if you are interested I might be able to find it)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  19. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

Thanks. I think it can be done, but what timing curve would be used to get something close to the original?

20. belair

belair

Bump us mods, we're havin a good time

21. Tim G

Tim G

22. mrkling

mrkling

The mopar flathead 6 distributors will work. They already have a good flathead curve. You need to find a core and remove the splines from the ford and weld them to the mopar. Make sure the new length of the mopar matches the original length of the ford. I have a picture of one, but it is installed and doesn't show the welded spline.

23. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Here's some basic info on your flatty.

http://www.theclassicford.com/1951_Ford_Engines.htm

Base 6 Cylinder (Serial No. Code H):
    Cast-iron, L-head (flathead) design
    226 cubic inch displacement
    Compression ratio: 6.8:1
    95 brake horsepower @ 3600 rpm
    Bore: 3.30 Stroke: 4.40 inches
    Holly Model 847F5 single barrel carburetor
    4 Main bearings

I've got a Super Hurricane 226 in my Willys pickup... WANNA RACE!? :D

24. mainline331

mainline331

With regards to what distributor can be swapped- I used a flathead mopar distributor (correct diameter to fit the ford), cut the shaft off of the ford, welded it together...and got mechanical advance.

25. 48fordor

48fordor
    from York, PA

What years/engines had this distributor? Just wondering how I'd find one.

Thanks,

Ed

26. mainline331

mainline331

pretty much any mopar flat 6 will work- there are usually two different distributor types that I have come across, though both are the correct diameter. If you want to use a pertronix, you need to make sure that the distributor is the one that they make a unit for...I cant remember the model numbers offhand. If you are running it with points (I do), either unit will work...
    I have pictures of mine, but do not know how to post them here- look at fordsix.com, I think I have some there.
    -James