Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Il Gimmi's 54 Chevy (Barney).

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fu-Manchu, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

[​IMG]

Here she is. A transplant from FLA, if ya didn't notice the E.C. styling dripping off her. Plan is to notch it, put quarters on it, and give it a nice early 60's makeover for Ventura (Primer) Nats.

About a month ago we went to the junkyard equipped with a generator and a sawzall and cut some clean quarters off a donor.

[​IMG]

They are out getting blasted.

Heres what the old quarters look like. Can you count the patches?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had a head start on the hood about a month ago. Got it welded and peaked.
    Plus a sneak peak on direction.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got about 50 days to do this, and a van to get ready? Damn. Lots to do...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  2. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

whoa. looks like it's gonna be legit.

3. eric

eric

F'en RULERS!!!!

4. Big Tony

Big Tony

Definately dig it... skirts look much better then mine do

5. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

I'm get'n so hyped. It will b nice having those wonky ass quarters out of there and the hood is looking money. With Mike(Fu Manchu) working his metal sorcery Barney's gonna be a bad bitch, haha.

6. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

get off the computer and finish it....im digging where this is going. What color are you going to go with???

7. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Abelone Flake on the roof shot over the existing white. Then well start figuring colors for the patern going on over it. Mike started freestylin the lay out on the roof and shit is looking good. We'll fine tune it when it actually gets layed out for paint. Think'n candy, blues, pinks, etc. The body's gonna stay purple but go a bit darker. Gonna be suede this go round with merano pearl shot over it. Mike got his hands on some choice shit so gigity goo!!!

8. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Did ya send some pics to the a-hole that sold it you as 'rust free' ?
    I wanna meet this Mike fella, he seems OK.

9. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

10. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Caddy fenders would look awfully nice on Barney :)

Watch with the East Coast cracks, Mike, or I'll slap a huge Continental Kit on your Van in Ventura while you're passed out somewhere. That's how we roll on this Coast.

Looking forward to watching your progress on this.

11. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

You're tell'n me. That's what happens when you get a boner to find a hard top and deal with someone threw pics and etc. I still got dudes address. I should fly up and snap his neck.

We're gonna get it all squared away and Mike rules. You'd love him!

12. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I love him already... but don't tell him that.

13. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

Got a little bit farther with it. I was hoping to have more done, but there was some pretty shoddy patchwork going on under that quarter, so went ahead and ground the rivets that was holding it all together. lol. I'm thankful it wasn't welded! Barney is going to be a driver, so I'm taking a pretty straight forward / no frills approach to patching the inner structure. Should have all that finished and welded tomorrow. Here's some pics of roughing the panels into shape and fitting them so far. About halfway there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the sweet patches that were in there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Apparently in Detroit "rust free" means coating the undercarriage in a half inch of bedliner.

Also got the rust in the donor quarter patched and shaved all the holes we won't be using. Still gotta give it a once over with a pick and file before final fitting.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Soon enough we'll be past this and onto the fun stuff.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  14. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

They hurt cause they're true. haha

15. SO GLAD you are slicin' and dicin' on this bucket-a-bolts. As a native Clevelander, I have seen much worse rust repair. My hats off to you for giving Barney a decent repair job. :cool:
    JT

p.s. hey Jimmy, ya' sure the chicks are still gonna dig it when you change the color? Damn thing was a chick magnet, when in O-town. Go figure???

Attached Files:

16. poorboy

poorboy

looks like great progress!

17. eric

eric

18. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

JT, just wanted to give you props on all the mechanicals you did on Barney. Really clean work!

19. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Jt, the body is still gonna be purple, well shades of purple. We have a pretty sick paint scheme in mind. When it's all said and done with Barney will still be a panty dropper, haha.

Seriously, having JT back in Florida sort out the mechanicals and Mike out here handling the metal I couldn't be more psyched. JT is unstoppable with a wrench and Mike is a bad ass with metal. I've learned/learning a lot from these guys and the quality of work both these dudes do is amazing!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  20. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

Tell Barney to get back to work.

21. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Headed to meet Mike now at his shop, which he's already there getting busy! So back to work we go. Primer Nats is just around the corner and come hell or high water, Barney is gonna be there, haha.

22. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

Ready to start flaking the roof in the morning. Stoked on that. Got all the patches rough fabbed for the pass side. Just gotta take them back apart, prep them, and so a lil trimming, then they are ready to weld.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See ya bright and early Jimmy!

23. IL GIMMI

IL GIMMI

Von Cock Lives!! Those quarters are looking purty and man I cant wait to spray the roof in the morning. Gonna make it rain abalone flake, haha.

24. I would rather drink dumpster juice than fix rust. To watch someone such as yourself tear into a mess, AND make the patches look REALLY good is impressive. My hat's off to you, sir.

25. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Good work man!!! I'm gonna follow this one!!:)

26. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

Thanks! We got round 1 of the roof flaked. Now just have to resand and do it all over! Gotta love legit flake jobs. It's hard to capture it on a camera, but it looks like a big chunky pearl.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It just won't photo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stoked for Il Gimme!

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how come you didn't grab the full factory quarter? now you have that 6 foot long weld to do.

28. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

I'm a sheet metal welder. That's gravy, and less obtrusive into the car. In a high crown area, metal is less likely to warp, I could tig and metal finish that seam quicker than going factory seams across the top. I have access to the full backside of the repair area. It'll be okay...

29. TKuhl

TKuhl
    from Pac NW

kick fuckin ass. you are my hero. cant wait to see it sparkle in september!

30. eric

eric

:eek:
    so stoked for you guys!
    might be heading your way in a week or so Mike, my grandmas sick, if i do you and the AZ crew will be getting a call dude.:cool: