Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Juan Manuel Fangio Museum-Argentina//Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Capochi, Jul 23, 2010.

1. HRod 50

HRod 50

Great Pictures.... My grandfather in law is the president of that museum, or something liek that. When I was in Argentina I didnt get a chance to visit it, but after seeing these pictures, I will definitely have to check it out..

2. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Now i have two things to do when i go to Argentina. The first is to go to the Superclasico.

Thanks for posting. Wonderful stuff.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

He's my photo of the old man making faces at me LBGP......

Attached Files:

4. Capochi -

Great stuff! ... Awesome Photos! ... Thanks for sharing!

Ciao,
    HEMI32

5. Capochi

Capochi

In the Superclasico ...Go River PLate!

Nice Photo!

Grazie!

Thanks.

6. yes a real driver and smart as well . and to know they have a place we can all attend is a great sign of his talent and his gift,s to the automotive world . he could make a hurt car last and still win . thank u for the fantastic post

7. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

Always hard to grade the best piloti over the years; Fangio, Moss, Clark, Stewart. Senna, Schumacher ... all get the votes. But one thing sure, Fangio will always be in the running. Great pics .... thanks for sharing.

8. outstanding cars and great displays 10#

9. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

And while we're at it, look at the safety equipment here:

[​IMG]

Polo shirt, polo helmet and no belts. These guys had balls of unobtanium!

10. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

Mama mia!!!Bella
    O wait that is italian....

11. Capochi

Capochi

Few More...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks.

12. 63dan63

63dan63

great photos! Thank you.

Daniel

13. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

amazing photos, looks like a great museum!

14. Capochi - Cool ... I was wondering if they had any Alfas in the museum :) Grazie for posting!

15. Thought I'd add this cool onboard footage of Fangio driving the 250F Maserati (circa 1957):

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L7Ifcgl789E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L7Ifcgl789E&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1?border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

16. Capochi

Capochi

The Alfa Romeo Tipo 308!, rare and beautiful Alfa.

17. freebird101

freebird101

all those car look amazing

18. sololobo

sololobo

Outstanding showplace, thanx for a rare glimpse into this exotic scene. Just amazing vehicles and very cool race car assembly. Dig it. ~Sololobo~

19. lorodz

lorodz

great stuff ,,,

20. Thank You, for sharing those wonderful photos, of those beautiful cars, from such a great time in motorsport history. Those would also be very suited to Ryan's new site, "Dogfight"!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  21. a bloke

a bloke

Here's one of his I saw at Silverstone in Britain last weekend:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Capochi

Capochi

a Talbot Lago! nice french car.

Thanks everyone!

23. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Seriously nice. Thanks!

24. mauro d-100

mauro d-100

muy buen post!! que bueno tantos argentos dando vueltas, todos menos el puto de seis!

nowadays Tc (turismo carretera) sucks, it a cheaper copy of nascar, but they still "kill" cars to make it...

25. alsancle

alsancle

Wow that is cool.

26. THE CHIEF

THE CHIEF
    from MIAMI

aguante fangio!!!! y boca jrs

27. farna

farna

Great pics! That's one museum I'd like to visit one day.

A couple clarifications on the IKA-Torino. It's not based solely on the American (or Rogue). Looks like it, but it's really a combination of the Classic, which was also built by IKA for a number of years, and the American. It's basically a shortened Classic body with American (Rogue) front fenders and quarter panels, and a shorter wheelbase (107", 1" longer than the American, 5" shorter than the Classic.. could be it's a longer/wider American... as far as I recall it's the width of the Classic anyway). The tail light panel and grille were re-worked with help from Pinin Farina, dash also. Might have been his idea to make the Torino look different from the Classic by using the American quarters all around. It's real apparent that the Classic body was used once you get some measurements and look at the understructure. The first clue is no leaf springs in the back, but coils. Wheelbase and width are the clinchers! The front "frame rails" were made longer though, extending all the way back to meet the rear "rails" -- factory "subframe" connectors for the rougher roads in Argentina at the time! I suspect the Classics and Ambassador built in Argentina were the same way.

The engine was the OHC "Tornado" (renamed to "Torino" around 74 when changed from four main bearings to seven) originally designed for the 63 Jeep Wagoneer/Gladiator. It wasn't popular over here, truck buyers thought it too exotic, and it only lasted two years in civilian models. Army M-715s based on the Gladiator got the 230" Tornado through the early 70s. It was tough enough for the U.S. Army and the Nurburgring/Argentina, nothing was wrong with the engine design at all! It has one funky design feature -- a single camshaft lobe for both the intake and exhaust valves. That's right, only six lobes on the cam! Limits what can be done with the cam, but Nurburgring proved it's not a big handicap!

Scramboleer likes this.
  28. Capochi

Capochi

Very good explanation about the Torino and the Tornado!

Thanks!

Gracias!

Scramboleer likes this.
  29. VSO737

VSO737

PATI S 40 861 copy.jpg

This is my 1940 Chevy Coupe...............

Same year as the GREEN coupe in Juan M. Fangio's museum.

Fangio also drove a '57 Corvette and one of his first races was done in a 1929 Ford Model A.

WOW...............is this weird or what. Fangio was my childhood hero growing up in Buenos Aires, Argentina in the early 50's.

What's weird is that I did NOT know he drove all of these cars until recently.

I restored a 1957 Corvette......finished it in 2008 (currently resides on the French Riviera). I currently own a 1940 Chevy Coupe and I have been restoring a 1930 Model A Sport Coupe since 2008.

Got to LOVE the HAMB!:D

30. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I'm glad this thread floated up today. I missed it by being away for a while. Much love for Fangio. Somewhere I've got a magazine article or two about him, I'll have to scan them in.