Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMM RED

MMM RED

That's from Bob Parmelee's book on Mullins trailers

2. CultureCreature

CultureCreature

OLD CAMERAS ARE AWESOME! I would love to see em!

3. CultureCreature

CultureCreature

I finished the whole thread!! I am amazed. Here is something I wrote in regard to what I have seen here over the last week.

****Wow, where did America go? The creativity, the pride for American Built, the tradition and family, and just plain values? It is so awesome to look at this lil time machine, but it makes me wonder when we went to the disposable lifestyle and lack of regard for our next door neighbors... Maybe our country could be back to its glory if we went back to being American.

I mean look at things, cars ALL look the same, everything is designed to throw away (including cars). Craftsmanship has gone on the wayside to cheap engineering and production techniques. Products are not what they used to be. Now, in defense of life today, the medical field has advanced significantly and allowed us to live a better lifestyle with less famine and disease. However, in all these photos there were no obese people. I think this is simply due to the introduction of things like high fructose corn syrup and many other less than natural products that we ingest daily. It is a toss up, but man the old days were cool when weekly BBQ's in the front yard drew the whole neighborhood, people did more as far as outdoors, and we regarded our neighbors as our friends... Not the same as when my grand parents grew up nor the same as when my parents grew up, hell, not the same from when I grew up.

I grew up on Route 66 in Northern Arizona. Still to this day bits and pieces of the once great America still stand tall, but even there things are loosing out to aesthetics and technology. The modern world no longer values our history. To many of them it is an eye sore and "too old" to be useful.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with my life today... Just seems like America as a whole lost her pride along the way...****

I have some old pics to add to this thread as soon as I get them on my computer.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this amazing thread.

4. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Wow Annette F with visible panty line on a Vespa. OMG!!!!!

5. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

ha ha I put them in a safe place,just can't remember where that is..I will let you know when I find them

6. Guns and a station wagon? This reminds me of a story... about the old day's if no-one minds...

One of my grandparents and a friend worked in construction. Grandpa had owned his own company for a long time and they were driving out of the mountains from a site one day in a station wagon (I believe I had heard it was an early '60s Ford). Driving along, getting later into dusk, they see a full-grown deer just off the road out in a field. Being good old boys they saw this as an opportunity and pulled off. There were two weapons available to them in the back of the station wagon, a .22 and a hatchet. Grandpa took the .22 and put a shot on the neck. Nothing fatal, but, enough to slow the deer down. Gil, his friend, noticing the deer not dead, grabs the hatchet and turns to Grandpa and says, "I'm gonna' get that motherfucker." Now, remember, this is late in the evening and getting fairly dark. Cars are silhouettes and headlights, blah blah. Anyway, Gil just sprints full speed at the deer who is too wounded to do anything at this point. Bad part was, Gil couldn't see the barb-wire fence right in front of him. WHAM! Down goes Gil. And a moment later he gets right back up and continues after the deer and "subdues" it with a hatchet. They drug it back to the car and brought it home. I'm told the station wagon never did smell the same after that, but, hey, they probably had dinners for a week each and a tidy sum to take to the butcher for profit.

Try doing that these days and see what happens.

Oh, and to this day, Gil still has scars around his midsection from running into the barb-wire fence.

I hope this wasn't off-topic. :D

7. Abomination

Abomination

January, 1951 HRM. ;)

~Jason

8. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

HA HA that story made my day

9. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I will PM you the pics of the 2 cameras I found as soon as my batteries charge...1 has a 1916 patent #

10. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

1946 Ford Coupe Ute:

[​IMG]

11. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Not all utes were factory built (My grandfather would cut down coupes, tourers, sedans or anything else):

[​IMG]

PS This is not my grandfather.

12. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

XP Falcon Ute, newspaper advert:

[​IMG]

13. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

XM Falcon Ute (model before the XP):

[​IMG]

14. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Ford Transit Utes and Vans sold in Australia:

[​IMG]

15. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

The good old Aussie Ute (It's a good read) by Larry O'Toole:

[​IMG]

16. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

De Soto Utes:

[​IMG]

17. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Chrysler Valiant:

[​IMG]

18. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Valiant Charger (Left) and Chrysler by Chrysler (right):

[​IMG]

19. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

AP6 Chrysler Valiant:

[​IMG]

20. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Chrysler Valiant Ute, Hardtop, Safari, Sedan:

[​IMG]

21. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

One of very few photographs of one of the Valiant Short Utes. Built as test mules for the Chrysler Valiant Charger, the ute was cut behind the cab and again behind the rear wheels to give the same wheelbase and overall length as the proposed Valiant Charger. The ute is being driven by Australian race car driver Leo Geoghegan:

[​IMG]

Read more:
    http://holden.itgo.com/rtcharger.html

22. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

One of the Australian "Denimmachine" Chrysler Valiant Panelvans - there was a similar promotion in the US with different vehicles as prizes:

[​IMG]

23. This is cooler than s##t!

[​IMG]

24. This is the business I did my apprenticeship as a diesel mechanic at.(1974-79). The lower picture depicts the Head Office of Freeman Motors at that time situated in Grenfell St in Adelaide. The branch I worked at (Norwood ) incorporated signage promoting Cadillac, Buick, Oldsombile, Pontiac and Chevrolet brands as well as the Holden cars and Bedford trucks.

There were 4 or 5 other outlets that were operated at the time.Spare Parts was in Morphett St. Then there was Norwood which serviced cars and trucks. This is where I started. There was the Main North Road Branch which was the truck sales outlet and also serviced both cars and trucks. There was a used car yard over on Port Road somewhere the wrecking yards and also Recon where second hand reconditioned parts could be bought and the used cars were checked over/repaired and detailed. I believe that Jim also owned a garage at Victor Harbour in addition to his "Freeman Farming" business where he sold and service SAME tractors which were an Italian brand.

Mr Fire do you have any other pictures involving Freeman Motors?

25. Joe Nix

Joe Nix

Number 1860 by LowKat. Is that a King Midget assembly shop?

26. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Early one of Lock & Freeman:

[​IMG]

27. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Lewis Cycle Works, South Australia:

[​IMG]

28. MrFire

MrFire