Register now to get rid of these ads!

wing window rubber seals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldcarnut, Jul 23, 2010.

1. oldcarnut

oldcarnut

Hello there; Was just wondering if anyone has replaced the rubber seals on their wing windows. Am working on a 49 Ford and thought it would be easy to replace. Usually when I buy rubber parts they come with some kind of directions or at least pictures, tried a new company and their product is great but that's all that was in the package. Any help greatly appreciated.Thanks.Lee

2. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yeah, those can be a bit of a challenge. First and foremost do only ONE side at a time, so you always have a point of reference. How far along is the car? Are you going to pull the window frame out? The new stuff will not fit perfectly, but will eventually fit better than the day you put it in. I promise.
    You DO need to remove the vent window itself. Just bag and mark all the screws that you remove. Once you get the glass out, it will be somewhat self-explanatory. Don't rush it. It will take you three times longer to do this than you think it will. Good luck...

3. If you have a Service Manual for your '49 you might find it there. I have a '56 Ford and vent window seal R&R info is covered in it.

4. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

I just replaced my 49 chevy wing windows, what kind of instructions are you looking for? How to disassemble, how to reassemble? I'd start with a ford shop manual. I know for the Chevy once I removed the window the pivot pin had to be removed, the old rubber removed and then the new stuff basically slid in the groove, there were appropriate cuts in the rubber to line up with the pivot arm and any bolts. I used some soapy water to help sliding in place and made some cuts to the back of the rubber at the curve or bend with a razor, not all the way thru, but it helped keep the rubber from forming a ridge. I than reassembled and tried the glass, the rubber will want to go along with the glass in some areas when opened, than I used a real small bead of 3M weatherstrip cement where ever it looked to be moving with the glass too much. Thats the best I can explain without showing you in person, sorry I'm not the best with words. Hope it helps a bit.