Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plymouth Poly trans options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnny bondo, Jul 22, 2010.

1. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

just got a 1956 277 poly motor thinking of building a club slingshot out of it, need to find a trans or at least a bellhousing for a manual trans, what should i look for? this is a one year only motor? and its a non valley type. will any 55-58 era mopar trans work? has an aluminum plate behind the motor that the starter bolts to. original trans was push button auto(junk)

[​IMG]

2. krooser

krooser

Takes the same stuff as an early Hemi...

3. swifty

swifty

That's an A Series Poly and they ran from 56 thru to 66 in the Plymouths. What you'll need is a bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and 3 speed trans from a V8 manual version from those years.

swifty

4. 73RR

73RR

Kroozer is correct.
    While swifty is correct with the general production run, the bellhousing bolt pattern and crankshaft changed between 62 and 63 so, in effect, you really have two different A series engines.

If you have plans for actually making some horsepower then you need to be working with the post-62 units so you can make better use of the 4" cranks...

5. rbmain

rbmain
    from Newark, CA

To be more specific, your 56 V8-277 is essentially the early wideblock 318. Just about everything interchanges with Plymouth and Dodge 318's up to around 1962. The best transmission IMHO is the aluminum 727 Torqueflite. A 1960's one with the torque converter and bellhousing should fit your 277.

6. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

just got it back from the machine shop, no cracks all cleaned valves all redone. yeahhh!=)

i need to find me a blower and make an intake for this badboy.

7. krooser

krooser

I have a 6-71 for sale...