Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 Banger Books

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by petew, Jul 21, 2010.

1. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Just bought a 27 T with a modified 1929 A 4 banger. Problem is I don't know a damned thing about these motors , except that they are cool ! Does anyone know of any good books that covers these motors ?

Pete

2. check out the monthly banger meetings here
    just type in "banger" in the search and you will see alot of info
    also some pics of your car would be cool
    tk

3. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

OK, here is an attempt at some pictures

Attached Files:

4. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

Did a little searching on the forum and did locate a lot of info. Still surprised that nobody has written a book on Ford banger modifications.

5. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

Here's a few to look out for. They are probably out of print so eBay may have to be your friend. All published by Dan Iandola, the first is written by him, the second are reprints from 1947 and 1931 respectively.

The George Riley Racing Scrapbook

California Bill's Four Barrel Manual

Building The 100mph Model A Ford by George Riley

Dan Iandola is currently working on a book about Ed Winfield. If the George Riley book is anything to go by it's going to be a gem.

Take a look at this thread for more ideas on 4 banger literature:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75739

Car looks pretty neat by the way.

6. Hi Men and ladies: I have been reading these post about Ford Four Bangers and I want to jump in with news for you. . . . BECAUSE friends have been telling me how you guys need info but no one is getting the story straight . . . so here goes . . .

My Name is Charlie Yapp, age 63, living outside Cincinnati, Ohio. I publish Secrets Magazine and founded the "Secrets Of Speed Society" (SOSS) in 1991 and have been the executive director for 20 years. I own and operate Scalded Dog Speed Parts and we produce four banger speed equipment from 2 OHV's, 3 flatheads, 5 intakes, 8 side plates to 3 pulleys. I can get you up 115 hp with my flathead or who know with the four port . . . It is 98 hp out of the box.

1: The Secrets Of Speed Society (SOSS) is 20 years old this month.
    2: The SOSS has a journal called Secrets Magazine.
    3: The SOSS has nearly 2,600 members around the world.
    4: An index of thousands of articles . . each one pertianing to Ford Four Bangers is on our website under "Index" at www.secretsofspeed.com.
    5: Within those pages, the Journal has printed and reprinted Most of the things, articles and subject you are speaking of below. . . . I can further editoralize about each one . . . for instance: California Bill's articles on Four Banger Engines should be read with tonge in cheek . . . as several of the instructions are bogus and dangerous. . . . I will save more for another time. . . .

I wish you the best and will try to be as helpful as I can with my personal experience and share the knowledge of our readers, Four-titude, Charlie

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  7. Big Kevin

Big Kevin

Charlie, you guys have some awesome stuff over at Scalded Dog. I'm saving up for your Roof 101 set up. Looks killer! And thanks for chiming in here. Wealth of info on your end.
    -Kevin-

8. Corn coupe

Corn coupe
    from CZ

9. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

I forgot to say that it's well worth joining up with F.A.S.T. More knowledge there than anywhere else on the planet. There's no commercial interest there, just a love of 4 bangers.

www.hotforhotfours.com

10. Great to have you aboard Mr. Yapp!

Not to be the "bee in your bonnet", but how about those looking for early Chevy 4 info?

11. kookee

kookee

Or early Plymouth 4 info. (Other than to pester Rich)

12. doctorZ

doctorZ

secrets of speed is a phenomenal tool for hop up information. for basic maintenance, i am a big fan of the les andrews books.

13. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

i wrote a book "4-bangers! and me last year. it gives detailed instructions on building flathead bangers. for info, mail me at [email protected] it is half-size 180 pages with pictures. i've sold over 650 to date.

14. retro4

retro4

I certainly endorse the book 4 bangers & me , well worth it & it was so low in cost i bought 30 of them for other folk, The author is a great guy too , regards Quickchange

15. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Here is another recommendation of Jim's book. He's a good guy too.:D

16. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

thanks guys! jim b.