Register now to get rid of these ads!

60s Vans making come back?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low budget, Sep 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eight433

Eight433

One at the local cruise-ins

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dude, where did you find those Thrush side pipes? I have a vintage ad with those, and I haven't been able to find a set!

3. Ebay and craigslist have been a wealth of vintage van parts availability, but those thrush pipes are old originals that have been on this survivor mild custom van since the early 70s. The owner of this particular van buys whole rusty custom 70s vans from al over the country and strips them, restores and re-sells the old custom parts. He is a true vanner! He has several 70s vans right now that he is in the process of going through. He is very proud of his collection of roof wings, chin spoilers, 1/4 windows, trim parts, emblems and wheel flares. This hobby is made up of all kinds....I'm glad to have him as a customer.

4. trusty-t

trusty-t

This was my van in 1995 ,just bought another one from a fellow Hamber.

it had a 351w , 9"rear ,14x7 front, 15x10 rear slotmags it was my daily driver back then as I was 23 years old. was converting it into a pro-van but sold it due to too many projects (but it is still among friends of mine!)
    T

Attached Files:

5. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

that brings back some memories....riding around in Richards old 63 Ford van with no windows in the back , covered completely with cheep shag carpet and black light posters, listening to Frankenstein on a 8 track... oh and the hand written message on the back door. " don't laugh buddy, your daughter might be in here"

6. this is just to funny the van I just picked up is all custom inside 8 track,
    bar with glasses a little couch, red velor curtains with pull down shades and deep red pink white shag carpet ,with black button tuck
    i will shoot pictures and post them tomorrow

7. Landmule

Landmule
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have that van too. I've always loved that one. I'm glad someone's made it life size. Very cool.

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

I remember when people used to Vista Roof everything. I recall a Challenger and an early 60's T-bird Vista Roofed. I loved the T-bird.

They made nice overhead light for the old hippy school buses.

Or maybe it was the drugs.......I dunno.

9. BajaCharlie

BajaCharlie

10. bigbadad

bigbadad

Anyone know a source of new port hole windows?

11. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Just found this great thread.

This is a photo of an Australian van. It's based on a mid1950's Holden FJ Panel Van.

Most of the modifications were done in the 1960's and 1970's. It is owned by a real enthusiast who maintains it in this condition. It still appears at numerous shows and car events around South East Queensland, Australia:

[​IMG]

12. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Another Australian Van, this one, "Hunchback", sported a number of paint schemes at various times. It was built using a HK GTS Holden Monaro and HK Holden Panel Van.

[​IMG]

13. MrFire

MrFire
    from Gold Coast

Different custom touches on a VW Van, also from Australia:

[​IMG]

14. Making a comeback! In my opinion they never left. VW vans are my fav!

15. Loppy

Loppy

Here's a pic of my 67 G-10. Going the Gasser route. Just added the Gasser ET's and Steelies this past weekend. All the rubber is Hurst Racing Tires. The paint is the way I bought it. It'll be all semi-gloss black or super dark purple soon. Also adding gasser style name and graphics and heavy bass boat style monster flake on the roof. Interior will get the 60's/70's pimp treatment with crushed velour, leopard print, lava lamps, black lights, may even a disco ball. Any name ideas?

[​IMG]

16. erock805

erock805

shew...hunted all 31 pages... I need a van now.

17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That there is THE bomb!

18. Ok so I picked up this 67 chevy van and the interior is custom. And it says snake on the front doors. It also has 3
    Trophys in it. From 1977. it looks like it spent a lot of years up in conn. Has anybody ever seen this van before it is ready to be painted it is copper on top and looks like it might have been whit down low and the bumpers are white the interior is button tucked and has a lot of wood work and polyureathene inside with old red and white now its faded to pink shag carpet. I'm just trying to find out more info about it.

Attached Files:

19. novatattoo

novatattoo
    from Canton,OH

Ah the interiors they did in the 70s :)

Later,Bill

20. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Went through all 32 pages and now I've got to go out and buy a God Dam VAN!!! Thanks a lot pal!!!

21. Kustombart

Kustombart

Hi there, been listening in for awhile and wanted to introduce my van: The Green Machine. It's a 1977 Dodge Tradesman 200 with a 318 V8 with Doug Thorley headers, Holley valve covers and chromed air cleaner. It was customized probably in the early 80s, using all period goodies like front and rear fender flares, a front air dam, sun visor and rear window louvres. The quad lights and tube grille are period accessories from The Accessory House, CA. Wheels are Keystone Klassics and the sidepipes are from Thrush. Paint is a period-perfect Dupont green metallic which contains gold and silver flakes. Pinstriping is by Herb Martinez! It's featured in this 1984 article in Vans & Trucks mag.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was in the Peterson Museum for 20 years (can anyone confirm or deny this?) was sold at auction 3 years ago and bought by Dutch hotrod shop Perry's. That's where i bought it last year, looking like this:
    [​IMG]

It has a fully upholstered crushed velvet interior with mirrors and wood cabinet and a bed in the back (for midgets). The dash features a custom wood and chrome steering wheel, overhead console with gauges and toggle switches, a telephone/CB radio and nine band equalizer.
    [​IMG]

Did lots of mechanical work to get it running good after sitting still for 20-odd years. Since I wanted to use this as a shop truck for my kustom painting shop, I added some Metalflake panels with kandy green fades, repainted the top in a pearl green and added shop logo's in reflective vinyl stickering. I also removed the roofrack and ladder to get a more sleek look.
    Springs have sagged and it's on it's bump-stops at the front and rubbing a tyre on the wheelarch at the back.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd love to get more history on this thing. Anyone know anything about it?

22. [​IMG]

united vans

San Bernardino, Ca

23. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

saw this one at this years York nsra event....Rich

Attached Files:

• 146.jpg
      146.jpg
      File size:
      514.3 KB