Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fell in MEL WELL,,,maybe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beep, Jan 19, 2006.

1. All you MEL owners/builders (all three of ya). I think I may have fallen into a MEL well full of old NOS MEL racing stuff. Supposed to be a NOS three two and aftermarket dual four set up, hilborn injector set up, an 8 x 2 weiand log manifold, Isky cams, two complete competition engines, a t-bucket roadster powerred by a 430 and much more. Supposedly the owner, whom raced 430 MEL's for years, quit racing and then just stored the stuff and then died a few years ago. His son has the stuff and doesn't care less. I talked to him the other day and he doesn't even know what all there is, but he says there is a shit load. I am going up to check it out Saturday. I'll let you know what I find.

P.S. I ordered the pipe and stuff for my AA/F CC&S car re-creation today. Whoooop, getting there slowly. This is fun,,,,but damned expensive.:D

2. prime mover

prime mover

Get everything you can and take pics of whatever else you see, you can resell it easy enough.

3. GasserKid

GasserKid

Let us know what you find!

4. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

Please drop me a line as well. I'm very interested in the MEL's. Thanks.

5. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Im intrested in the cam and the 8x2 intake

6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

That's obviously an awesome find. I am really curious to see the 2x4 as I was told that was never made and I have never seen one. That might be worth casting. The other stuff is rare enough! Definitely keep us posted.

7. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

So...how was it? Details!

I picked up a 462 roller motor with a tripower today and then promptly found another 6x2 intake. This stuff is feast or famine.

8. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Sent you a PM, there are at least 4 of us building MEL's. Mine is a 58 Lincoln 430.

9. Wow, long hard weekend. Drove seven hours after work on Friday to get there then hit the sack. Was up and at the contacts place at 10:00 am as promised. Wife was not happy with so little sleep, but done real good.

Heres the deal, this guy whom passed away some five or six years ago after a very extended illness had raced Lincolns since 1950. Yes thats 1950 as in a really really long long time ago. He had two shops, three auto parts stores and at least four garages full of shit. These shops and stores were separated in different towns. I got to see all of them, but had very little time to really search each. They were absolutely stuffed full of old stuff. Mostly pre-MEL Lincoln stuff and mosty just blocks, heads, transmissions, clutches, flywheels and tons of rear end parts and stuff. At one store he had a 40' box trailer stuffed full of blocks, heads, pistons, rods, headers and all kinds of crap. Again, most of it was pre-MEL Lincoln v8 stuff. Even a lot of Lincoln flathead stuff. All or most all of it was old used stuff of not much value, but there was so much you have to really dig and that takes time. You could likely build at least six of the old pre-MEL engines with all this crap.

The roadster was gone. It had a hilborn injected 430 in it. After the guy died, the boy took it out on the street and wrecked it. Mom, being pissed sold it outright to someone whom she can't remember the name. According to the boy, the 2x4 manifold came off a 1960 T-bird which the old man had bought brand new in 1960. After a few years he took the 2x4 off and sold the bird. We could not find the 2x4, but keep in mind, I couldn't look at everything and the boy wasn't too interested inn helping out and the mom was too old to remember much. There was simply too much crap to sort through at each of the locations. However, while digging through the trailer looking for stuff, I found a complete 3x2 and a 2x4 set up for a low riser FE with air cleaners. Then I found a 100% complete 1959 Mercury Marauder 430 engine with tri-power. I also found about six 1958-1960 early 430 blocks and heads, a couple of 1961 and later 430 blocks, no heads and a shit load of manifolds, covers water pumps, flywheels, clutches, ets, etc, etc.

I left there late Saturday night headed back to Texas wishing that I had had at least several more days to search. But, I did find for myself, two sets of Isky 1.5:1 adjustable rocker arms, Isky push rods and roller lifters, a ronco vertex mag, and a front cover with the small hole for the crankshaft.

I plan on going back in late February

10. wjbrace

wjbrace
    from Indiana

Is any of the 430 stuff still available - where might it be??

Bill in Ind.

11. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Let's hear just a bit more about the Lincoln Flathead stuff. What was it? Speed equipment like heads, manifolds, distributors, internal parts????? that stuff is pure gold.

12. Two year old thread. :)

13. Yeah but he didn't say which Feb. he was going back and hasn't passed on the contact info either

14. Brad S.

Brad S.

He's in Kuwait. Or was. We haven't seen him around in a while.

15. Yep, I am still in Kuwait. I hope to be home by end of June and plan on making a road trip up there without wife so I will have time to dig through all the stuff.

Smile, it is only 85 today. In a few months it will 140 again

16. nexxussian

nexxussian

Beep, good luck over there.

17. Buddy67Lincoln

Buddy67Lincoln

June is over..last year!!! What did you find??? Did you ever make it back up there?

18. BRYANSAYER

BRYANSAYER

Let me know whats for sale i need it. Ive had no luck on ebay or internet anywhere for speed equipment its been a mel parts drought for me.

19. BRYANSAYER

BRYANSAYER

Haha wow i just replied to a post from years ago thatll tell you how rare mel stuff is.

20. With the bump you got me interested too. :p

21. BenderJ

BenderJ
    from Detroit

Same here... All excited and ready to send PMs only to see I'm waaaaay late to the party!

I've been on the hunt for a 3x2 for my MEL for almost a year now!

22. Such is life! Day late, dollar short! :rolleyes: