Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thinking of starting a different type of "cruise night" in central Illinois

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gasser38, May 30, 2010.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

I never understood why "cruise" night involved parking and sitting and no cruising. Good for you for making a change. Too bad you're at least 2 hours away.

Decatur will be having their big annual Cruising Eldo cruise the Thursday before the Pileup. I'm not sure if that will be real cruising or not, but it's been going on since the 50s.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

I just talked to the Decatur people and they said that Cruisin Eldo (10/7/10) will have police-approved cruising. It should be a lot of fun.

Sorry to hijack. I hope your cruise night takes off.

3. gasser38

gasser38

I don't have anything against a mailing list but I'm not wanting this to be a burden to anybody. The theme is spontaneous automotive fun. No rules, no stress and no work. My vision is that it turn into something perpetuated by word of mouth and everyone in the area knows to head out to Mt. Auburn every third Saturday or something to have some fun with their car.

4. gasser38

gasser38

Don't need to bring a hot rod. Come out and talk to people about the one you're building.

5. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

Had a real good time. 23rd works for me and the gas station sounds good also. Lets do it!

6. gasser38

gasser38

23rd is looking like a go. I've got to check with the gas station guy and make sure that's cool. He was doing an ice cream social on the 24th so we're gonna see if he'll move it to the 23rd. That'll be a cool old school activity to go with our old school rides. Getting stoked about this deal. I've talked to some guys about bringing some faster stuff out this time so that could be interesting. Should be able to have that 477hp 355 in the 64 by then too. Don't know if I'll have the peg leg rear changed by then so I'll probably just be idling around scaring children with my 13.4:1 small block and no exhaust. See ya all there.

7. Deadbird

Deadbird

Don't know how I missed this post. This sounds like a really cool idea. I hope to make it down there for at least one of these deals. I'll try to drag some of the Farmer City breakfast club along. Maybe even Plowboy, who knows?

Keep posting your dates and some pics when you can. Just subscribed to this thread.

8. gasser38

gasser38

The more the merrier Deadbird. Farmer City is only about an hour from us.

9. gasser38

gasser38

Here are a few pics from the first one. I've got a few more to add when I get a chance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. PossumJR.

PossumJR.
    from Walls,MS

Cruise nights are Great! There is nothing worse than going to a car show with abunch of late model cars and abunch of trophy hounds! We have 4 cruise nights a week in my hometown. Tuesday,Thursday,Friday & Sunday. Theres about 20 to 30 guys on any given cruise night on sundays we usally have closer to 50 or 60. We have a BLAST! Its all kinds of pre 72' hot rods and it never gets old. There is no point in going to a lame local car show paying $20.00 to sit and watch Vanilla ice bumpin the radio on his 2010 mustang or watch the muscle car guys get up and wipe the dust off there car every 5 minutes! That is NO FUN! I WANNA RIDE! So 4 nights a week EVERY WEEK thats what we do WE RIDE!

11. Deadbird

Deadbird

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a solid turnout for the first attempt in a small town. Hey, my C10 oughta fit right in too. :D

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I just did a google maps cruise of your town. where's the Walmart? you can't fart around here without hitting a Walmart

13. gasser38

gasser38

Wal mart.............There's my shop, a gas station, two bars and......well that sums up the business district. We do have a nice park though. A three hole golf course that I think about 5 people use. Lots of corn. And miles and miles of straight open country roads.

14. Plowboy

Plowboy

Everybody knows that I never leave home, but you can show up at my place if you want to change it up a bit sometime. I may have to try and make it down sometime though.

15. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

23rd is around the corner. We still hanging out at the gas station?

16. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I'm game here a little north of ya!

17. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

I can't find you on the map! What route are you on?

18. crazydays

crazydays

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

If it were Mt. Auburn, IOWA, I'd be in. No bars or gas stations there tho.

20. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

From where you are head south on 51 to Decatur, go west on I72, take the Illiopolis exit and head south about 5 or 6 miles.

21. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

If anyone has anything fast... Dare ya to bring it out.

22. Plowboy

Plowboy

I stumbled upon Mt. Auburn the other day by accident while at work. I was cutting through the country from Blue Mound to Buffalo to look at some corn fields to spray with the plane.....

I, however, will be in Salina this weekend. Don't forget to check out the show in Cerro Gordo on Saturday though.

23. jonly

jonly

I currently have no carburetor, so I'm missing this one as well.

24. GrantH

GrantH

we call these "get-togethers" but its normally the local or club guys that all get together. its always good to go for a ride with others. highways are a blast. i hope your cruise in/get together takes off full force and you get exactly what you want.

25. gasser38

gasser38

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been able to visit this thread for a few days. Still on for tomorrow night. I didn't get the motor in the 64 which sucks but Heath still has the goat to get stupid with. We are meeting at the station and when they close we'll move to the shop so if you get to town late and nobody is there just keep truckin up the street and you'll run right into us. My cell is 217-827-3094 if anybody needs me. Later, Greg

26. Deadbird

Deadbird

Doesn't look like we'll be able to make it tomorrow. Maybe next time. Keep the updates coming!

27. crazydays

crazydays

Should be there tomorrow night (unless something happens at work tonight) and think the wife is coming with me.

28. bigsam63

bigsam63

Sound's good a littel busy this weekend but would like to come over and play keep the dates comn.Looks like every 3rd or 4th friday or saturday of the month would be cool.Seeya soon.

29. Kerry67

Kerry67

You got a cool area. Small towns like that make great scenery for car shows or cruise nights. NOTHING like that around here. There are several cruise nights but it is usually (actually always) jammed with the same cars including new Corvettes and Mustangs. I' WISH there was a little place that looks like that where a bunch of cars could show up and just hang out and do what you are doing. Looks great.

30. lowlife matt

lowlife matt

My buddys bringing a prowler... He says no raceing...