Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a 4door Falcon Sedan into a 2door need help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xppetey66, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Hey guys im over in Aussie and am building a 2door sedan out of a 4door.

Im not short so sedan roof height suits me better but i also want something different.

I think our Aussie 2door hardtop are overrated- price is ridicoulus.

So if anyone could help with any pics of pillars, and joins where a back door would normally be :) that would be great!

Has anyone done this before?

Also does anyone have any sedan 2door doors for sale?:rolleyes:

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Sometimes you just got to work with what you got. Look up "my 54 Ford project" here on the HAMB. The guy converted a 4 door to a two door and did a real nice job. Though its obviously a different car, his experience may help you. Good luck & post pics!

3. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Maybe you should photoshop one 1st. The roof on them may look a little odd. There is a thread here - the photoshop thread to end all threads or similar. The guys are most helpful. Those two door doors will be worth a fortune in Aus.

4. The roof height and length is the same as the US design so pretty straight forward.

Just more the window mechanism and pillar to panel sections i need help in.

A few guys over here are doing 2door wagon as they never came out here. Using US 2door sedan doors.

Thanks for your feed back guys!

Will check the 54 project now!!

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Good idea on the photoshop suggestion. Post a side pic if you have one XP and tell me what you have in mind. I can probably put something together for you. What motor you gonna run?

6. 289, c4, 9", 15" x 5 and 8 white steelies.

how does one put up a pic here? newbie question

7. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

I like the high roof look of the 2 door sedan too , IMGP0313.jpg

thats why i have one ,XM -XP coupes have got expensive and can have a squished look ,Aussies have been doing the 4-2 door conversions for years on lots of 4 door cars ,the best way is to get some 2 door doors and quarters but have seen them done by lengthening doors and shortening quarters ,a lot of work either way ,your welcome to have a look at mine ,i am in Geelong if your nearby,,,,,

8. Hey mate i have seen your car plenty of times! 1st time back at the picnic in i think 2002? I love that you havnt painted it! Saw the car at the fridge just gone too.
    I havnt seen a 2door sedan over here b4. I know of a couple of places that have front doors- think i might have to cut up a back door.
    Would love to take a better look at your car- im bout 90minutes from you.
    Do you have any interior and pillar pics?

Cheers mate!

9. RoddyB34

RoddyB34

i dont have any pillar or int. pics ,i dont have the energy to paint it but i love it the way it is ,my oldest son is a painter but dosent seem to have the time either ,,,,,he was gunna buy it off me ,still waiting ,,,i think he waiting for me to die haha,,,,

10. I wish I saw this earlier..people throw away those 2dr sedan doors. You cant get 20 bucks for one here. Shipping to the East coast is too much now for most people..
    I'll see if I have any more. You can have them if you can get them to you.
    I have a 64-5 Falcon one in the trash pile right now.

I know it seems like a waste to guys that dont have the stuff. Tell the guys that come here to fill containers that you want the stuff. All they come for is Mustang shit.
    I'm sure they would toss some Falcon doors in the lot if they knew they would sell them.

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I did this conversion with my brother back in 1983 .I bought a very rusty '61 Mercury Comet 2 door SW to restore which was very rare in NZ [ the body lifted off the floor ]
    I ended up buying an early XP Falcon for parts, and converted that to 2 door instead
    All early Falcons [pre 64 USA & pre 66 Aus] and early Comets [ I can only confirm 61 here ] have the same body swage lines.
    Aussie XP Falcon front sheet metal is actually early Comet [ except it is massaged for the larger single headlights ]
    I cut and shut the Comet guards into Aussie XP falcon guards so I could use the Twin Headlight grill and buckets [ which then bolted to the Falcon rad support panel ]
    I also used the Comet front bumper , it looked like a 7/8 scale Fairlane Compact

Back to the 2 door conversion.
    The Comet doors [ or as in your case Falcon ] will swing off the same hinges.
    I cut right through the roof / floor / inner and outer guards then spend a lot of time unspot welding everything
    From there it was pretty straight forward , everything else was a no brainer , I even used the sill plates and rear 'door' cards [ except the side chrome needed fabricating ]

You will need all the body parts from a 1963 USA Falcon for an XM or XP Falcon conversion, The 63 has the same roof line as the Aussie Falcons.[ with an early XM style front ]
    1964 and later USA falcons have different swaged body lines [ wedge shape ], Earlier Falcons have the round shaped roof line

Spend the money and buy all the correct parts, it will be cheaper and better in the long run, and make better car as well.

I never 100% finished the car, my brother bought out my share [ I moved on to a factory E38 Charger ]
    He dealed it on to some other projects [ I last saw it about 1990 on a pile in a scrap metal yard ]

The conversion was really easy [ I would like to do it again one day to build an XP Falcon A/FX style nostalgia racer ]

12. Yeah bloody Mustangs is all they want. I mean nice cars and all but when everyone thinks theyre great it spoils em.

Yeah if you have any early doors that would be Gold! I could get an importer to bring em in.

Private msg me if you find sum!!!! Thanks mate

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

To put a pic on here, join Photoshop.com. Its free, and they have tutorial on loading pics. There are other ways, perhaps someone else knows.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010