Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is a 1936 Ford 1 ton dump truck hot rod material?

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by 461/2ton, Jul 20, 2010.

1. 461/2ton

461/2ton

I posted the following on a different forum but didnt get any responses or suggestions. Since the experts are here will give it a shot...

I was over at a guys place looking at some fill dirt we were going to have him deliver. He had major equipment everywhere, and in use. Trucks, tractors, trailors etc. Asked him what the old hauler was at his entryway. He gave a name never heard and not remembered.

We talked more and he asked if I would like to see his restored 1955 Mack logging truck. I said sure, having first seen it over 10 years ago for sale only a mile away. Wondered what happened to it. VERY cool.

Jim mentioned a 1936 Ford 1 ton Dump Truck wasting away behind one of the buildings. V-8. Like this one but a little worse... http://www.autogallery.org.ru/k/f/36...mptruck_KI.jpg
    He said yes he would sell it!

I am going to let everything simmer for a week, and then see if the urge to buy it is still there. Also want him to rippen on the price and be willing to come down. $1500 asked but I shouldnt go above $750.

So can a 1 ton be made into a nice little ride? New rearend, suspension, engine, brakes, and so on. Sell or scrap the dump bed and hydraulics. Dont know too much about 30's trucks, but the heavier 1 ton frame might be a bonus.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  2. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Yes you can, thats a good looking truck!

3. 00 MACK

00 MACK

scrap the dump bed and make a wrecker out of it

4. dudley32

dudley32

I've always liked 35-36 Ford pick-ups...cabs are the same...beds pretty much interchange(you'll need to do some reading)...car frames interchange(and will work on pickups),with small bracket changes, from 35 to 40...hope this helps...d32

5. 1952henry

1952henry

Fxed that. No such a creature in 1936.

6. ragtop35

ragtop35

???

Attached Files:

Okie Pete and mgtstumpy like this.
  7. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Definitely! As already mentioned the cabs are the same as the 1/2 ton trucks. If you didn't want to make it a flatbed or a wrecker using the current frame you could always just get it registered as a '36 as is and then swap the frame out for a 1/2 ton or car frame.

8. dudley32

dudley32

o.k. maybe a 1 ton...??

the answer would still be the same.......

9. dudley32

dudley32

amen...

10. 461/2ton

461/2ton

When the owner said 1 ton dump, I was thinking it was probably 1.5. If the only thing useable on the truck was the front sheet metal and cab, with frame to be replaced, then $750 sounds like a lot for little.

The picture posted by ragtop 35 is really neat, but I dont want a big truck. If that could be mimicked with 5 lug wheels and singles on the rear, it might work.

11. dudley32

dudley32

Just go for the cab...anything else can be sold or scrapped,,35's and 36's are not easy to find..store it...and wait..you can always sell it..or keep looking for the right parts.....thats hot rodding...d32

12. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

Aren't the fenders on the "big" trucks larger than the half-tons? Might even look good with bigger wheels, etc.

13. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the '35 is a different cab than the '36. Something about the cowl, windshield, and hood area is different. I'm sure somebody will straighten me out. Either way, these are really cool looking trucks.

I'd go the half ton route though WITH fenders. Like this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    Okie Pete likes this.
  14. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

1 1/2 ton- cab - doors -hood - radiator cowl are same as as 1/2 ton. The fenders and inner fenders are different.
    See my avatar 37 "big Truck" just about ready for final paint.
    1 1/2 ton frame is bigger channel than 1/2 ton but sheet metal will fit regular frame. Easier to lic. in Ca. with frame stamped original #'s that match paper work.

15. 461/2ton

461/2ton

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I am going to pursue this. It sounds like there are a number of directions possible, but none if it isnt in my barn.

16. I forgot about this one, I think it was a 37. I pulled it off a ranch, I kept the flathead and some misc pieces, sold/traded the rest to another HAMBer, certainly worth the time.

For comparison this one cost me $400, I think I overpaid when I figure in the gas, meal, etc..

I've seen some decent truck projects here in the classifieds for $1000 or under.

IMO $750 is steep for resale and steep if you are only really keeping the cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. 461/2ton

461/2ton

Thanks a LOT for the price comparison! Sometimes it is easy for us less experienced to loose track of value. At least this '36 is only 4 miles away.

18. Ditto!

Besides the registration issues, there's tons of stuff you can do with that frame. Section it in the areas it widens out if you're going to channel it, etc. Plus, you don't have many engine/fan clearance issues, etc., 'cuz you've got frame for miles and miles and you're not tied down to a "stock" wheelbase; you can do what you want. Maybe you won't have to box the frame since it's taller (around 6" instead of the 4"?). I'm just starting on my 29 AA truck (see avatar) and am just starting to realize the big frame potential. I think the bitch is going to be getting all that hefty duty suspension and stuff off the frame...

19. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

Yeah exactly. They don't have to be finished to get licensed though. I'd get my paperwork straight and then do whatever you want to it.

The larger channel frame could be nice, if you can shorten it up without too much trouble.

20. hemi

hemi

Turn it into a gasser.

21. Apparently in some places mid-30s Ford truck cabs just grow on trees and you can throw a rock in any direction and hit one. If it's solid and straight, $750 is a deal. Especially if it's 4 miles away and not 400 or 1400. Is it rod material? Of course!

22. Docfranknstein

Docfranknstein

This truck of mine started out a 1 1/2 ton daully, I used the frame, cab and grille shell & imagination, so by all means have at it. Von Doc

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  23. 461/2ton

461/2ton

That is what I was originally thinking. Heavier frame, less or no boxing. A '46 1.5 ton frame is about 6 inches tall compared to my 1/2 ton being 4 in., which is on the light side without boxing.

I have a 312 under way with all the parts. Forged popup pistons, new rods, finished heads, all ready for block work. It would be the engine. Trans on hand is a C-4, also rebuilt.

Docfranknstein, nice!

24. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

[​IMG]
    OHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Okie Pete likes this.
  25. 461/2ton

461/2ton

I saw a Y-block being set in place! My choice too!

26. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Don't think about it twice, do it!

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

28. mikeorb

mikeorb

I just got started on a 36' Ford 1.5 ton big truck restore project. From what I'm seeing so far, some of these BB parts are very hard to find. I think the threads above are explaining why that is. If you can get that piece for under $800, you will return the investment no matter what. Just cleaning up the sheet metal and parting them out will return the investment.