Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. yamadafacka

yamadafacka

2. saw that on the web site for the vanc.cruise.....very cool.....you shoulda been there in the 70s when that place rocked and vans were always parked on side street "rockin"......I still got a ticket framed from the cops there for "LOUD MUSIC" at 3am in the drugstore parkin lot.....NICE VAN

3. J CRUZ

J CRUZ

More from Mooneyes. We managed to get 4 club members in and accepted 2 new members while there. There were about 6 or so vans there on top of the four we brought. Really good van turn out this year. Expect more in December!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Hellfish

Hellfish

I can't see the headliner!

FYI, the owner of that A100 is on the HAMB. If you do a search you can find the build log

5. I gotta get a van on the street just so I can run with you all,saw the chevy when it was in Tucson on the way home from Austin........Very Cool,,miss the days when that stuff was all over cruise nights.....

6. Church

Church
    from South Bay

7. Church

Church
    from South Bay

8. rev106

rev106

9. virtualvanner

virtualvanner

Unfortunately Ford has cancelled the 50th Anniversary event planned for Aug 12th. Not sure why but it would have been good publicity for them and great exposure for the many Econoline owners who were going to attend.
    I'm not going to write Ford off quite yet and hope they come around. We'll be celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the Econoline and the Corvan at many of the van events in 2011 starting with the Council of Councils Van show at the Radisson 7762 Beach Blvd Buena Park Ca. Feb 19th. More info on that as it gets closer. Hope to have all the SoCal Econo and van loving HAMB'rs there.

Nice pics from Mooneyes, the Vandaleros rule !

10. Dog427435

Dog427435

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="WIDTH: 83%" id=vi-ia-attrTableFirstRowTd class=vi-ia-attrColPadding headers=v4-41>
    1,743 mile '67 FORD ECONOLINE AMBULANCE on E-bay ​
    </TD></TR><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 17%" id=v4-42 class="vi-ia-hdAl vi-ia-attrLabel vi-ia-attrColPadding" noWrap align=left></TH><TD style="WIDTH: 83%" class=vi-ia-attrColPadding headers=v4-42></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Blam

Blam

I was playing around with mine the other night and got some cool pictures....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I'm looking at trading a project muscle car for this van, a 67 super with a straight 6. I really really dig these old vans. My only cause for pause is that it's a LONG sucker! Anybody ever had the idea to shorten one of these supers behind the rear axle? I figured if you braced it like a chop and cut out 2' and move the rear forward it shouldn't be a terrible job. Thoughts??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Blam

Blam

i saw a supervan that someone had not shortened, but moved the rear wheels back a little bit, so that it didn't have as much body sagging out the back. It made it look a WHOLE lot better i thought. That extra room would be nice!

14. Look inside and see if there is a seam hiding behind one of those braces.
    I think there is a seam right behind the rear wheels.
    I could be thinking of my A-108, but you never know.

15. mothradeath

mothradeath

heres one that looks like its going to be pretty sweet.
    [​IMG]

16. Choptop

Choptop

The Concours d'LeMons will be celebrating the Van and the SUV this year at Toro Park in Monterey, CA on Aug 14. We'd love to have a group of Econolines in attendance.

cocnoursdlemons.com

17. Pacsh

Pacsh
    from Venice, FL

Just picked this one up last night!

Oscar 002.jpg
    Oscar 003.jpg
    Oscar 001.jpg
    Oscar 004.jpg
    Oscar 005.jpg

Pretty much just needs to be stripped, re-painted, and uphoulstered to make it look nice. New wheels would help too.

18. Hellfish

Hellfish

It's long because it's a SuperVan model! Some prefer them. I can't see it in the picture, but if you look at most Econoline vans you'll see a vertical seam by the gas filler. From there forward, all Econo vans are the same. That means, the butts are different. The shorty/regular vans go from the seam to the round tail lights. The Supervans go from the seam to another foot or so of panel and then have the rectangular taillights.

That van looks super clean (um, no pun intended!). You could cut off the extra lenght after the seam, buy the patch panels for the taillights down for a regular van, and section in the top half from the supervan. Ir just buy the butt off a junked Econo. But that seems like a LOT of work just to make it look like every other 1st Gen Econoline.

19. Hellfish

Hellfish

oh yeah, the '67 will have the ultra rare dual master cylinder and that 6 will either be a 170 or 240, and probably have a 9" rear.

20. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Thanks! Yeah it does seem like a lot of work. I haven't seen it in person, but I've talked to the owner, it's had a lot of work done and is pretty clean. If I do end up trading I'll proably leave it long, hey longer is better right!?!
    It's got the 240 in it and a 9" rear, with 410 gears and manual everything, but everything works on it.
    Thanks for the input everybody and If I get it I'll let you know and take more pictures!

21. Hellfish

Hellfish

OOH! The 240 is good, plus if you ever decide to put a 300 or SBF in it, you're all set to go. You already have everything you need.

22. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Stop It :) I'm suppose to get this so I don't have to work on it, just drive it. That way I can concentrate on the model A. Now you got me thinking about 302's and wheelies!
    Ha!

23. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Leave it long if you get it. I've seen this van in person. It had 20 inch wheels on it then. It was way over priced then too. Hope the $$ came down when the wheels came off.

24. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I have not seen it yet, what was your impression of it? Besides the wheels...
    I'm looking to trade it for a project car I have, that I value at 6000

25. Hellfish

Hellfish

That van looks like it's in really nice shape, but $6000 would be top dollar, IMO. It's missing bumpers and the battery box, cheap aftermarket steering wheel (no horn), etc... but it does look really solid. If it's hiding rust, it's doing a good job.

26. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Thanks for the reply, I'm hopefully going to look at it this sunday so I'll be able to judge for sure on the body. I figured 6 would be at the top end, I think he had/has it for sale for 5500, so I already knew that the deal was better for him (from my point of view). It does save me from dropping more money into a project though. As long as I don't have to drop any more money into the van. I'll see for sure once I get to check it out. I've had some pretty interesting O/T trades offered for mine so we'll see where this goes.

27. Blam

Blam

Ok, so i need some input from you guys:
    My van is my daily driver it's got the 240 in it, it runs alright but not great, it's mostly just the carburetor that acts a little goofy. ANYWAY, this winter i got to take off work for a few months and my plan is to hit the road, do some traveling around in my new van.
    So i'm thinking engine swap. I know the 300ci straight 6, and the 289ci V8 are the popular swaps but my question is:
    -Have any of you done one of these swaps?
    -Is one easier than the other?
    -is one preferable?
    -can i keep my transmission and change my gear ratio?
    -will either of these motors mount to my transmission?
    -How much work am i looking at here?

Thanks,
    -Ryan

28. Straight Axle Steve

Straight Axle Steve

Aaron Ive looked at so many over the past year or so I can't remember. I do know it looked awful with the big goofy wheels on it. The stockers look much better. I think the only reason I looked at it was the high $$ amount, I thought at that price the thing had to be rock solid.
    If you are over the other car, this could be a good deal for you.
    I can meet up with you and go check it out. Just let me know.
    Is it still in Wyandotte?

29. Hellfish

Hellfish

Here's an awesome truck from the Puyallup show. Wow. Just wow.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. Hellfish

Hellfish

Blam, I swapped in a 302 (same as 289 swap). I've been taking notes on the build and will be posting a step by step instruction post/where I went wrong post as soon as I can actually drive it around the block... which better be soon. :D

In a nutshell, if you have a 65-67 with a 240, you're sitting pretty. You have everything you need, even the radiator should be able to handle the v8, but you might be happier with a newer one. You should have a 9" rear which will handle the v8/300, and the 240 trans and trans should be stout enough.

The SBF and 300/240 all share the same bellhousing/tran bolt pattern, so no problem.

Most Econo guys say that it's just as much work to swap in a 300 as it is to swap in a 289/302, so just do the v8. I guess it depends on your preference and what you have laying around. I will say that keeping the manual trans and using a v8 requires extra thought and engineering which is probably why most swap use a C4... but I hate auto transmissions. :D

OTOH, rebuild the carb and do a tune up and that 240 will do you good. It's already there and set up properly, so it won't cost you much. It's a stout motor that probably gets better mileage than the 300 or v8. Spend the time and money you would spend on a swap and improve other things on the van, stay in nicer places on your trip, etc.

If you want, send me a PM with your email and I'll send you my notes so far. You'll get the gist of what a swap entails.