Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who drives their cars year round in Denver???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chalupa55, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I may be getting a job in Denver very soon, and was wondering if anyone drives their cars year round? If so, how do they do in the snow? I've been to Colorado many times when I was going to school in Wyoming, but not during the snowy months. Thanks.

2. ray

ray
    from colorado

year round, yes, no problem if it has a heater, etc.

everyday is another story. you gotta have something for the blizzard weeks. i usually drive an early bronco in the winter. it's a "trad" 4x4.

some of the best colorado days are during jan and feb when you still get days in the 50's and even 60's.

3. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

Or the days where there's 4 inches of snow on the ground in the morning, and clean dry streets and short sleeves towards the evening.

My RWD pickup did just fine in the Colorado winters if I took it easy. Where I lived, 55 miles north of Denver, the streets were usually well treated enough to drive safe but sometimes they couldn't keep up with the snowfall. Though, there were those days where you just stay the hell off the road no matter what you're driving. But you could be as safe as you want and drive even the safest well-equipped car in the world, but what you really have to worry about are the other drivers... When the snow falls, so does the intelligence of people on the road. Same thing with rain here in Vegas.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  4. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Sounds good. I was in Wyoming in 99' and it was a fairly mild winter and there wasn't as much snow as usual. The car I had was front wheel drive and did good on the icy roads and what snow was on the roads. I figure a two wheel drive truck will be ok if I put sand bags in the bed during the snowy months and some good tires.

5. I would venture to say that on average Denver streets are probably clear 95% of the days. We really have great weather and lots of sunny days. Now one hour west of here in the mountains is a different story.

6. Like Denver Dave says, MOST of the time you'll be alright provided you have jackets, blankets, decent wiper blades, and tires. I made it through almost all of last year just riding the motorcycle. However the later part of the winter I was forced to get a little shitbox 4x4 off of craigslist, as the snow and ice can sometimes be more than an old car or motorcycle can handle. However my first car was a 64 Ford with bias ply whitewalls, and that got me through almost 3 years of Colorado winters. So if you leave your skirt at home you should be fine.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Hey...HEY...!!! What the hell are you guys doing broadcasting our gorgeous winter weather around here on this world wide forum...:eek::eek::eek::eek: Damn...this is one of our best kept secrets and now you're giving it away...:rolleyes::rolleyes: we don't need 44 million more people to move in around here...!!!

Disregard all that was said above (and in the above posts)...

R-

8. choptvan

choptvan

^^^ HA HA ! I agree! I drove my 63 ford f100 with a 223 and a 3 speed for the last 7 years as my daily. No issues. Denver gots more snow that the springs does though. Not sure why that is. Good luck with the new job if you get it!

9. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

My friend Ed Gallagher emails me all the time from Denver. One of the biggest hurdles is the ALTITUDE!
    Prepare to re-jet your carburetor. He moved there from L.A. two years ago. His flathead has two 97s, he's leaned it out but his plugs are still sooty. We were just talking about it today. Consult an expert.
    Ed has a Model A roadster, so he parks it during inclement weather.

10. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yep, we're a mile hi here...not only is it tuff on carbs/engines, it's tuff on people...air is a lot thinner...hard to breathe...and in the summer, you can get sunburned a lot faster.

We get baseball sized hail here and marble sized sometimes as much as a foot deep...oh yeah, and a few tornados lately...Rain is always cold, never warm and when it comes, it comes in torrents. Same with snow...we'll go all winter with only a few inches here and there...then in late March, April or even May, we'll get 24 to 33 inches in a matter of hours...There's downsides to everything, ya know...???

R-

11. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Denver has great weather , golf year round.

12. RQuantz

RQuantz
    from Las Vegas

I sure miss my sweet little chunk of Colorado... Sure was beautiful. Very interesting weather too.

13. OT:

Just wanna give a shout down the mountain from Summit County!
    It's hot rod season even up here right now.

14. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Sounds like you wanna deter me from moving out there. J/K

15. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Naw, not at all...a few more people in Denver isn't going to make any difference one way or another, as long as you don't bring any bad habits...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:...When you get here, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my phone number and introduce you around...

R-

16. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I drive year round in the springs with my 53...I used to feel that Denver winters were easy when I lived there after migrating from Chicago....I will say you are going to get the occasional freak snow storm... but usually the city just shuts down for those..

17. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Sounds good. I'll keep ya in mind.

18. ray

ray
    from colorado

i expected you to be posting your famous blizzard pics to try to scare of the transplants! i guess you gave up on that, huh?:D

the number one rule of winter weather driving if you live in denver, stay in denver. i'm serious. if it's snowing, or even sunny and blowing after a small storm, you, a fresh resident of colorado can find yourself in a whole lot of trouble venturing out for a scenic drive on a snowy day. two years is about how long it takes to understand the risk of winter travel here. snowbashing in a sled with no heat, no wipers, and lexan windshield is no fun.

hell, just this evening, i "had" to drive through over a foot of rapidly flowing water for 1/4 mile, we had a bit of a flash flood in the springs near my work, what a mess, flooded cars, rocks the size of basketballs in the road from the flood. every season here is challenging.

19. Drove a '66 Mustang year round (slightly OT car, but, same gist)... in a pretty hellacious winter, too, when I first got my license. If you're a competent driver you can still get around just fine. I'd say your hazzard those day isn't the car you're driving, but the other driver's... depending on what part of the town you'll be in there are plenty of new, young driver's who I wouldn't trust with a big-wheel in a snow-storm.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2012
  20. Gotta agree with Roger. There are just too many people in Denver these days. I remember the good old days when Denver was considered "a cow town".

Here's a few pictures of our highways, a long time ago, and today.............E

Attached Files:

21. ripsrides

ripsrides

i sure miss denver drove my 57 in the winter sometimes its the only thing that would start

22. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

still trying to lock in the 4 wheel drive

Attached Files:

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Naw, I didn't give up on the pic, it's just that when I answered that post I wasn't at my home computer...didn't have access to the blizzard pix...

R-

24. Rat Rod Roach

Rat Rod Roach
    from Aurora CO.

If ya make it here welcome...:D

Where's my model-A ?? :eek::eek::eek:

Roach

Attached Files:

25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Didn't you sell it...??? I haven't seen it all summer...!!!

R-

26. Digging out my 57 in Denver

[​IMG]

27. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Well I went and interviewed for the position and got it, so I guess I'm moving to Colorado. I will be working at Warren Tech H.S as the Auto Customization instructor working with the Collision class. I'll be out there in mid-August. Woohoo...:D

28. choptvan

choptvan

well. Hit me up if you make your way to the springs. Good luck

29. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

what he said

30. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Welcome to Colorado. I have lived here 36 years and wouldn't ever move away.I have been for 15 years driving my 70 Elcamino, (daily ) ,chopped top,body custom .Yes our winter storms get scarry sometimes but usually melts off in a day or 2.It is the morons that don't know how to drive that you have to watch out for.