Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making a Beautiful Roadster (progress pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThirdGen, Jul 4, 2010.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Interesting.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great! Keep it coming!

QUESTION!! Where do you get template paper like that?? I have some that an old-time sheetmetal guy gave me and I haven't been able to find someone who sells it.

3. Kail

Kail
    from Austin, TX

you definitely got my attention..

4. "Whitey Ford" 62 Uni

"Whitey Ford" 62 Uni
    from Tampa, FL

STyle 3 without a doubt...this thing is as cool as a fan

5. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Hey guys,
    Sorry its been awhile since an update, but here are some more pics.

Here are a few shots of my clay form model.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of maybe going with this aircraft style'd windscreen, thats IF i put one on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a marker rendering of what the final might look like

[​IMG]

and back to the "real" rod:

Took the body back off, time for some blasting

[​IMG]

Pops putting some pieces in the back of the truck. Yea thats right we've got an early peddle-boat with a canopy, were taking that to get blasted also.

[​IMG]

well its all one uniform color now

[​IMG]

And the little bit of work we did. Taking the body line out of the cowl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should have a bunch more progress pics for you guys after the weekend.

scootermcrad the paper I've been using is thin cardboard, also known as chipboard. I actually get it from my uncle who owns his own window installation business. The paper comes shipped over the windows to help protect the glass. You can also pick sheets of it up at art supply stores.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great! Thank you! And that would make sense! Looks just like what I have and have been looking for more of!

Another great update!

7. onekoolkat1950

onekoolkat1950

this thing is gonna be awesome.you got me watchin'.

8. Mindover

Mindover
    from England

I really like your marker pen drawings. I can build stuff but I can't draw it I would love to be able to do that.

Keep up the good work.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

This is progressing nicely. can't wait for the next update.

Frank

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So cool to see such a young fella with so much talent being put to good use. I hope that one day you can be the Boyd of hot rods as opposed to the one with street rods. :)

11. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks again for all the great comments guys, it gives me some much needed confidence, which lets me know I must be going in somewhat the right direction.

You guys are too kind!

3 1/2 more weeks till the show! Lets see how much we can get done. . .

-Josh

12. rokcrln

rokcrln

You are doing a great job and it is driving me nutz because I have a few more customer builds to get done before I can get back to my 3W project. So do me a favor and keep pics coming until can work on my own pile;)

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

Attached Files:

13. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Wow! That looks intense! What exactly is going on there? are you making a skeleton/substructure to then form the sheet metal around? or is it going to act more like a roll cage? I take it this is a one off 3w design, or are you basing it around a certain year, cause to me it reflects 35-36 Ford. I like it! I'm intrigued.

I'll keep the pics coming, but I'm not sure if it'll do justice to keep your mind off your project!

14. Boss roadster! Love the one off/artistic nature of it. Making a lot of progress in a short period of time.

15. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

In the early 1930s, grill openings had parallel sides (roughly). By '37, they were angling in toward the bottom like your LaSalle grill. Since the rest of your car has a Late 20s - early '30s vibe, Maybe consider splitting that grill surround at the bottom and widening it a little - at the same time you shorten it enough to not drag on the street. I'd suggest you get the grill surround figured out before you do the hood sides.

Of course if you dig the shape, nevermind - but it will still need to be shortened (I think?)

I'd vote #2 or #3 on the hood sides - early track or flats roadsters covered up a lot in the interests of aerodynamics.

16. HOLY CRAP

You are now required to start a build thread as well.

17. littleratracing

littleratracing

beautifull roadster. Keep those pic's coming

18. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

Great looking car, keep going!

19. Can't wait to see more your Hot Rod is progressing looks good!!

20. bjinatj

bjinatj

Pretty rad looking ride you're building. Keep up the good work..

21. willymakeit

willymakeit

Lots of great work and ideas. Keep it going. Have added it to my favorites.

22. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

I applaud your Hot Rod pioneering spirit!!

23. rokcrln

rokcrln

It is a scratch built design I drew up and am now starting the skeleton frame work. I still have a good amount of tweaking to do before I am happy with the design then I will build the drivers side of the skeleton. After that I will use it for panel patterns and fit during wheeling and forming. Once it is all done I will pull the panels off and weld it up on a different chassis and that will leave me with patterns and the skeleton for the next project.

It is avery loose 36 impression with some Zephyr as well. For the most part it will have a radicle 36 silhouette but be 100% different in the panels, details and fluid lines I plan on ending up with.

Kevin
    LFD Inc.

24. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Builtfercomfort - I agree with what your saying about the grill, but I want to keep as much of the used parts looking like the cars they came off of. And I dig the way the grill narrows as it goes down. And yes we will be taking another 1 1/2" out of it. It still looks good though. But thanks for the idea! I appreciate your interest.

rokcrln - That is awesome! can't wait to see more of this build, I'm interested in the what you'll be doing for body lines and details.

Heading back to Maine tonight. I'll get more pictures up tomorrow.

Thanks guys,
    Josh

25. ftwkustom

ftwkustom
    from michigan

thats awesome. super original. diggin that clay model. thats my everyday job here in detroit. sure helps to execute ideas for sure real quick. i id the same thing with my 37 ford tuned 3 window coupe with a 37 zephyr grill. made a scale clay model. cant wait to see the progress!!!

26. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

^^^Thanks, I'm sure my quick clay model is no where near the caliber of models you do. I'd like to see some pictures of that model of your '37.

Got some more progress done, got some panels bent up, and tacked on some new pieces to the hood, I'll get some more pictures up tomorrow morning.

-Josh

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The fasteners are DZUS, pronounced "Zeus".
    This car is developing like a well bred race horse.

28. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Alright here are some pictures of what we accomplished this weekend:

Patch made to obsolete cowl vent

[​IMG]

Pieces made to replace body line

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tac'd on the new piece to the hood tops to replace the hinge and the swiss cheese. practicing on my tig abilities.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the break that Ray and my Dad built. This is to make that radius for the hood sides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After we got that bent, we had to make a couple of 90 degree bends, the lower one we were able to accomplish on the break but the inner bend we had to beat over by hand. Here I am getting taught how to do this.

[​IMG]

trying to perform what i just learned.

[​IMG]

The finished piece.

[​IMG]

This is the top of the hood side. Once we get this fit to the hood we can start to fab the lower section. From there we can establish how we're going to go about tying the door skins into the cowl. Then onto the back panel, cutting the top off, then adding a top coping to the entire tub. Somewhere along those lines.

Didn't take enough pictures this time around, sorry for the skipping of steps, I was in the groove and didn't want to stop to take out the camera.

3 weeks left........

-Josh

29. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Josh, Your build is truly inspirational. Also like the fact that you and your dad are working side by side. Car is looking great and it will only get better as you complete each piece for your car. Good luck on making your deadline. You can do it !

30. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Thanks for the encouragement 41 Dave. Yea I'm learning a ton from my Dad and my "mentor" (Ray Tourigny, my boss for two semesters worth of internships). It is truly a great experience, and I could not accomplish this build with out either one of them.