Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 26 Chevy coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Jul 17, 2010.

1. RedRodder

RedRodder

Well, I have done it again, managed to bring home another project trade. Traded for this rat rodded 26 coupe. I plan on de-rating, but would like to keep the chop. I may de-channel it, but only if I can find some nice fenders for it. It has a fully boxed 26 frame that is Zd and runs a th350, and a 69 mach 1 mustang 9" with 2.73 gears. The rearend is 4-linked and coil sprung with a panhard bar. The front axle is a cut down 38 chev sedan delivery and the car has new juice brakes and lines all around. I will straighten up the grill shell, and rid the front end of its current headlight arrangement. The stock 26 steering is present (needs a new steering wheel, and shifter). what ideas have you guys to take some of the rat out of this rod? I do have my own ideas and opinions, but fresh ideas are always a good way to refine my own. Any input would be appreciated, Thanks!

-Robin

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. dlotraf

dlotraf

Nice score. Milk jugs and crates???????? Hmmm I got some of those. Chunk that steering wheel in dumpster, straighten up grill shell, definately. I personally would probably put a tranverse spring front end under her. Although you might pull off the parallell springs. Those really look cool ala show rod style. Padded pleated top. Some metal flake.........yeah.......... Any idea yet on type or era you are after? It surly has plenty of potential. Keep us posted on progress and of course pics as well.

3. RedRodder

RedRodder

Not sure of the era, I would love to find fenders and running boards. If I could find those I would de-channel it and run full fenders. The chop will stay mainly because I am not the best when it comes to welding thin metal. I have a 73 4 bolt main chev 350 for it. It is the high nickel block (has the 020 and 010 on the oil filter casting) all stock 4bl q-jet, tryin to find a low priced tri-power to fiddle with on it. Even a dual quad setup would be nice. I want a very classic, old look. more than likeley it will be a gloss black and chrome look, or a pearl white and chrome theme. Once I get basic theme decided, my girlfriend wants to do the upholstery to match. When it is done it will be a nice little driver that we can take to the strip once in a while, mind you we are not building it for the strip alone, it will have a streetable motor, the strip is just fun with friends :) I do need to figure out wheels, the fron it chevy six lug and the rear is 5x4.5 ford car. The roof is gonna be custom, I think she has me convinced to do a retractable cloth sunroof type roof. the car probably won't see much rain, so it may work out for the best for gettin in and out of a chopped car. It will run some nice modern gauges, with conteporary style, may be some SW wings series or somethin along those lines. Floor starter and a battery shutoff, and as few visible switches as possible. Still have a lot of idas rollin in my head, nothin set in stone yet.

4. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Not THAT ratty, actually. Seems most of the "rat" items are an easy fix. A roof with rounded corners would help, plus of course the interior and steering wheel, etc. 'Glass "T" fenders are available, as are running boards - the inexpensive alternative is to go down to Tractor Supply and look at their replacement fenders for trailers, etc.

5. RedRodder

RedRodder

the roof is a bit more rounded tan the picture shows, it is the stock 26 roof shape, just chopped. I think I found an old european cloth top that has some bow to it, so it should help out in curing the flat roof look.

6. RedRodder

RedRodder

what do you guys think of the front crOss member? I see what he was trying to do, but it just doesn't look right with the parrellel leafs. Any ideas as to how to make it look a bit less out of place?

7. RedRodder

RedRodder

It has been a while since I have been on the HAMB, there has been progress made! The car is now powered by a 1959 283 out of a 59 Chris Craft Riviera, and has the brakes working welll all around, plus all new wiring :D Drove the car into the Billetproof show last weekend and had a BLAST! Lookin forward to makin her a bit better lookin and refining her interior. Great start to a good summer of hot roddin:cool:

Attached Files:

8. ty1295

ty1295
    from Indiana

Nice to see progress and it being used.

If you need fenders my dad probably has some. PM me if your still need fenders or other parts.

9. RedRodder

RedRodder

I have decided to stay open wheel for now, it will make the bodywork much easier. I am just stoked to be driving it, I sold my rodded Willys Wagon a while back and was having hotrod withdrawls =)

10. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Hey thats Teeks old car. He has some fenders for a chevy at his place.

11. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

12. RedRodder

RedRodder

yeah, they are 28 sedan fenders, i have decided to keep it open wheel