Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any Old California guys Know this car ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carlos, May 11, 2009.

1. Rikster

Rikster

Nobody here has this issue of the Good Guys magazine - with the write up on this early Jimmy Summers customs - in combination with access to a scanner???

I really would love to read about... will be very much appreciated if somebody could scan it, or take a photo of it.

Thanks

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Send me a PM Rik I will send you a link and access code to read it.

3. Rikster

Rikster

I have read the article now... thanks to KoolKemp.
    But there was not really that much new information about the car going to be restored. I had hoped that it there was an announcement that the car was going to be restored... but that was not really the case. The article was more about the car being found and some history of the car... all very nice though.

But!!!

Is there anybody who knows more about the current whereabouts of the car.
    The last thing I hear was that the owner was in an accident, and that his son was going to have it restored... and possibly pulled it out of the field already???

4. fat141

fat141

CAN YOU NOT PUT THE LINK ON HERE AND THEN WE CAN ALL READ IT?:confused::confused:
    Rod

5. Rikster

Rikster

I made a screen shot of the article online magazine which I could post.
    But since the official Good-Guys people have not responded on the requests here, I feel there are copy right issues if we do post the article.

Perhaps in a few weeks... or month.

6. fat141

fat141

Thanks Ric, really pretty obvious I didn't think it through
    Cheers
    Rod

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Gary Goodguy is probably more interested in copyright infringement than the plight of "some old Ford"...
    Hopefully, he will respond favorably. Judging by his reaction to Calif DMV's new legislation against all things Hot Rod, prayer may be a glimmer of 'hope'...
    $$$$ talks. Ask him.

8. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

I will try to keep you all posted on this car,Rik you are the MAN !!!!

9. Man, that's UGLY!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  10. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I'd say it's worth saving. Worse has been brought back from the dead. However, I would leave them side panels off. Them things is ugly. The body itself is cool enough.

11. Rikster

Rikster

Had not looked at this post for a while... Just wanted to add a small update and then I saw this remark above... WOW.

Its sort of like taking the Duane Spencer 32 Ford roadster and remove the DuVall windshield to replace it with a stock unit.
    Or the Pierson brothers coupe and put a none chopped top back on!!! We can go on with significant customs and Hot Rods that are known for certain modifications!

Jimmy Summers is so well known for its fade away fenders... he "practically" invented them... and you want to remove them for one of the first, perhaps the first car he put them on!!!

WOW!!!

Anyway... before i got distracted I wanted to add a short message that I got from the guy who's property the car sat on for the last decade or so.
    I had asked him if there where any updates some month ago, never heard back from him, but yesterday he send me this... not much. But to me.. its good news.

"Rik:'36 Ford is going to be restored,young man doing work is supposed to be good, will keep an eye on progress.
    Don"

I will add more as soon as I hear it.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  12. jakedmoe

jakedmoe
    from California

amazing.. great find

13. radio_king

radio_king

Thanks for the good news Rik.I assume "restored" means restored to the look Summers left it,not RESTORED...:D

14. froghawk

froghawk

Thanks for the update, Rik. That guy's statement about it being "restored" is strangely uncomforting somehow in its vagueness.

15. Keep the updates coming. It would great if somebody could get in contact with the shop doing the restoration or the son who is taking care of the car; for updates and also to give them any historical information they might need. I am looking forward to see where this part of history ends up.

16. Any changes to the body at this date in time, would be the wrong step in my opinion. Restore it as it was. Even if the owner was in it for the money, it would ruin the value to change anything.
    It's value in money, or historical value, is as it was on the day it was built.

17. stromberg

stromberg

You don't just change a piece of history, I hope he keeps it the same!

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have a hard time doing that, leaving it alone. But before your blood pressure goes up I think that smaller versions of 36 Ford headlights would wake up the overall styling. I'd bet if build pics could be found it had em at 1 time. The later headlights seem like they were done "just because" which happened often. Value be damned, that would make this thing much easier on the eyes and it could also be easily reversed in the future.

19. Wow, I hope this car goes back the exact way Summers had it.

It was such a nice car.

Is Summers still alive?

Also thanks Rikster I hope I can meet you one day!

20. stromberg

stromberg

Highlander, Its just like Rikster said, you wouldn't change the Spencer Roadster, or unchop the Pierson Brothers coupe just because it could make it look better. Its the point about that is that car, and to change it would be changing history in a way. Thats what I think anyway.

F&J likes this.
  21. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey,so is there a way someone can take a current picture of the cars progress?

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

I sure hope its at least indoors....or sold to someone who can appreciate it ...any updates at all??

23. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Had a guy contact me to pass on an offer ,I did and no response to the offer The car is in the works as I was told by a well known capable shop.But is not disclosed.Mean while Don has had bypass surgury and has not been doing well.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Thank you for the update Carlos....

And since you seam to be in contact with the current owners. Perhaps you can ask them for some photos of how the car looks now. Even though the actual restoration work might not have started yet/ I still would be great to see it sitting in a shop/garage or where ever as long as it is not in that field.

And since these people mot likely got the car with the help of this Hamb thread I think that is the least they could do for us.... Show us how it looks today.
    And if they are looking for a new owner... this might be the right place to start an interest...

25. lowstrung

lowstrung

Owner wont part with it, yet leaves it sitting in the grass.

26. Rikster

Rikster

It happens that threads on here got more than just one page!!!

27. madpole

madpole

good hear an update on this one. would also love to see some current pictures.

28. Rikster

Rikster

I was cleaning up my computer a bit and came across an old email about this car and wondered is there are any updates on it?

Does anybody know where it is now? and if the restoration has been started, or at least the rotting have been halted?

29. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

I second this. Carlos, you've done an incredible job saving this car already--but I have a sinking feeling that it's not totally saved yet.

Someone needs to "check in" with the current owner every 3-4 weeks just to see how he's doing--and how his amazing car is doing.