Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects **Galaxie Find!! '63 500 XL in a Garage Since 1973!!**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malcolm, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Another Ford Galaxie has been added to the Omaha family.
    Joe (Str8enough) saw the car listed in the Omaha newspaper last Friday and told a couple of us about it. We all went to look at it on Friday night and knew it couldn't be passed up. One of us just had to step up and buy it!

Jason (jho) ended up taking the reigns and bought the car. He had it hauled home tonight and we were able to get a better look at it... the first time it's been outside in 37 years!

The previous owner bought the car from a preacher in 1965 and said it hadn't moved out of his garage since 1973. He (Samuel) is in his early 70's. He said there was a noise in the rear end and that's why the car got parked. Could just be a U-joint or wheel bearing... We will find out!

the car is in good shape and appears to be 100% complete -- the only rust that needs fixed is in the lower quarters, just behind the doors (normal for these cars). All of the wiring and rubber is still pliable and in good condition.... really unbelievable for something that's been sitting this long! The interior is also in really good shape. It's a 352/auto car with a 2-barrel. the engine is stuck right now, but really shouldn't be too bad. Could just be the rings.

I'll let the photos tell the rest of the story. Really a cool deal and the car has gone to someone that won't ruin it :cool:

Here's where it sat for 37 years:
    There was actually a bunch of crap stacked on the car when we first went to look at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wheels changed and time to haul it home!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Malcolm

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Some interior shots ---

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

More exterior shots...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Trunk, engine, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

6. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

A few more.... and that's all, folks! Really a cool find!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a set of these really cool triple-white-wall tires on the car, before they were changed to move it
    [​IMG]

7. Deuces

Deuces

8. 2x4

2x4

Great looking project. Keep us up to date.

9. Mercchev

Mercchev

10. Nice! Those triple whites are cool as fuck!

11. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

they are....to bad their thrashed....

12. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

absolutely beautiful

13. WHY did I pass up that ad in the Weird Gerald? Oh, yeah - wife won't let me get another car unless I get rid of one. I thought it was a fastback/sportsroof, but a boxtop XL? I'm jealous! Set up fairly similar to my old Chestnut/Chestnut 4-dr XL with 352 and manual brakes, but it's got that damn remote reservoir PS setup, and I bet it doesn't have that barn-mouse smell. So when will we get a chance to drool over it at Flashbacks?

14. Nice score!

I see the mice appeared to have found your Ford's rockers as well...

BTW, mine was only in the garage since about '83 or so... and the mice ruined the bottoms of the fenders (all 4 corners) and the rockers.

We should all be nice to cats.

-Bill

15. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Saved another one. Way to go guys, looks good. Gary

16. Malcom

about 9 years ago I heard about a Galaxie in a garage for sale at an estate. Thats all I knew, it was a Galaxie, and it was for sale. I checked it out and it was a 63 box top 2 door hardtop, just like the one pictured here. It was parked in 67 with a blown engine. It was black with red interior. It was a 500, but not an XL. Had a 223 and a three speed column shift. Car was MINT except scratched from years of having stuff stacked on it. Had 36,000 miles on it when I got it. Interior was perfect and zero rust. I bought it, went through the engine and drove the crap outta that car until I fell in love with older stuff. Car went down the road to buy something with a flathead :D That was probably the nicest car I ever owned.

Best part was when I looked at it I asked how much they wanted for it. They said it appraised for 1,500.00, but I could have it for 1,300.00 beings it wasn't detailed yet ;)

These pics bring back a lot of memories of mine.

17. S.F.

S.F.

wow , thats badass!

18. Galaxies rule. Awesome.

19. Mathew21

Mathew21

Wow Nice Find.

20. Big Tony

Big Tony

Dig it as well as the old oil can and beer bottle

21. |Tom|

|Tom|

Nice find!!

22. Doug B

Doug B

Yeah,real nice find....and black interior. Love it!

23. nice score nick!!

24. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

...maybe the noise in the rear was the preacher's beer bottle rolling around.

25. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Very cool. I like the buckets and console setup. I haven't seen many '63 Galaxie 2-dr hardtops with that C-pillar roof line. Nice!

26. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

glad that jason jumped on that deal

27. ratt7

ratt7

Perfect !!! great find.

28. Very cool find Nick,it was good talking to you yesterday an Thanks for helping me find the window regulator for the Galaxie I need one bad the car is just setting.

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yeah, for sure!! I wish it wasn't so damned expensive to get them now. I think Diamondback (radial) will make them for you, but the tires are about $150-$175 each.

Not sure when it'll be back on the road, but I hope sooner than later!

Actually, I don't think this car had mice in it... sure doesn't smell like it, either.
    There's a body brace inside the quarter that collects moisture, dirt, crap... and is a fairly common area for these cars to develop rust. My '62 was the same way -- VERY solid car, but I fixed small holes in the same location as this one.

30. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yeah, we were talking about that --- You don't see many 2-door hardtop '63s, especially an XL.

Does anyone know how many '63 Galaxie 500 XL 2-door hardtops were made?