Register now to get rid of these ads!

spoked wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick1, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Slick1

Slick1

Im in the process of building a chopped 50 Chevy traditional Hot Rod with a 2x3 tube frame.Trying to figure what front axle to put under the truck. I would like to use early Ford spoked wheels on a early 60's Ford truck 5x5 1/2 front brake assembly,my question will any early 16" spoked wheel fit over those truck drums? Thanks for all the help! Slick in CT.

2. silent rick

silent rick

you might want to see how that looks in photoshop first before you start gathering parts.
    i think it's a mistake

3. R Pope

R Pope

Ford 16" spokes won't fit on truck hubs. They hit the drums before they tighten up.

4. F&J

F&J

The 16 wires are from 1935 only. If you could look at a 35 drum, there are 5 cast block shaped stands that are cast into the drum. Those provide support so that when the lugs are tightened, the wheel hub is supported flat.

They have aftermarket spacer rings for some non-35 drums, but I don't know if they fit that truck drum.

If you don't use a spacer, the wheel won't sit flush, and will bend, crack, or loosen up.

Those are fairly skinny wheels for a large vehicle

5. Slick1

Slick1

The truck is a 4" chopped cab only,no fenders,2x3" square tube,Aluminum blocked OHC V-8. No rules in building Hot Rods! Built with parts I had. Thanks for the Info,Its getting 16" spoked wheels!

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Sorry man but what you are building isn't really a Traditional Hot Rod or Custom. And for those there are rules. Have fun with you rat rod. :eek: :D

and an intro would help as well as Read This First!

7. Slick1

Slick1

Thats great you keep studying your "rule book" and I'll keep doing what I know is Kool!!! And for those of you who gave usefull info thanks!

8. Actually Z was just pointing out a simple truth to you. We are a traditional board. Cool is open to interpretation. But whatever makes you happy tickles me plum to death.

As for your wheels you will need a spacer between the drum and the wheel flange as has already been pointed out to you. No hill for a stepper. If you can'y buy one you can make obne or figure out how much spacer you need and go to a machine shop any machine shop should be anle to handle it of you give them the correct info. IE thickness (figured by snugging the bolts and measureing) diameter and bolt circle.

Anway you'll be in there like swim wear.