Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '55 F100 Ford Y-block 292/272 mounting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomP15, Jul 14, 2010.

1. KustomP15

KustomP15

So I recently purchased a '55 F-100 and I know there's a forum dedicated to these trucks, but I wanted to check here first since I've always gotten good info here. It's got the orginal 223 straight 6 in it with the three on the tree. I know of a 292 Y-block available locally for a pretty decent price and my question is this. Does the Y-block V8 have the same mounting brackets at the front as the 223 inline 6? How about transmission mounting holes at the back of the block? If not, would a 272 bolt right in? I'm keeping the 6 for now since it runs but considering this Y-block as a backup if the 6 ever blows. I hear they weren't the strongest blocks in the '55 line up but it's done it's job if it's still running today. Anyhow, all help and advice will be appreciated and thanks in advance.

2. There is a centre mount for the front and a truck Front timing cover, also a rear bell that has mounts on it specifically for the F100.

3. KustomP15

KustomP15

Awesome, thanks! Any idea where I can get some of this stuff? can't find in any of the parts catalogs I have. I'm assuming I just gotta go hunting around for them but if there's a place that sells them aftermarket, even better. Do you happen to know the Torque figures on the y-blocks? I've figured the horsepower already, but torque is difficult to find.

4. Are you just looking for ratings? Mine is in the family of 300 pounds feet. I think. They're all around there, I think...

5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

6. I think the front frame mount is the same for the 6 and V8, but the engine mount hardware is different. The radiators may be different too, I can't remember. Also the V8 uses a different bell housing than the 6.....I have an extra one if you need it.....

7. 461/2ton

461/2ton

To simplify your search I have a '55 front motor mount for Y-block in a truck for not much. Send a message :) .

8. deant

deant
    from upstate ny

V8 trucks have another crossmember behind the one that the 6cyl mounts to. Father has a 292 in a former 6cyl truck.
    Dean