Register now to get rid of these ads!

blown lincoln 337 flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead337, Jun 21, 2010.

1. motorhead337

motorhead337

I have a 337 lincoln flathead and I was thinking of putting a 6-71 blower on it. It has a engine rebuild kit in it from Egge with .30 over pistons. what is the max boost I should run the engine at? or maybe I should put a 4-71 blower on it?

2. rhpope

rhpope

Any stock motor can handle 5-6 lbs of boost without any problems. This motor has about a 7:1 compression ratio already so it is ready for you to put a blower on it. The only thing to consider is having the cam reground to help maximize the use of the blower, but the stock cam will work pretty good as it.

6-71 will be o.k. on that displacement, but you could also use a 4-71 and may be a better choice with a 1:1 drive ratio. Either is o.k. If you use a 6-71, you just need to know if you have a small bore or a big bore case and rotors to be able to determine your drive ratios.

Check this out to give you feel for boost and drive ratios:

http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/techcharts.php

Roger

3. A blown 337 would be awesome.
    Pity I sold my 337.
    Actually swapped it for a 239" and blower.

4. motorhead337

motorhead337

I wish people would stop giving up on the 337. There is alot of stock parts out there for it, you just cant get heads for it, edelbrock made heads in the 50's but never listed a part number.. Anyhow.. I decided to stick out from the crowd and make that big bad flathead have some forced induction, problem is.. I have to weld a plate on my crank pulley to bolt a blower drive pulley on it..

5. bebopbob

bebopbob

Hi - Have a 51 Merc and know where I can get a 337 flathead.
    Are the 337 motor mounts the same?
    Any other problems making the change?
    What is the increase in HP when using a blower?

6. motorhead337

motorhead337

You can find the 337 in old ford trucks that were used as firetrucks or other big f-7s. If you get Hemmings there is some people parting out baby lincolns. There is complete rebuild kits for them from Egge and Kanter, you see people post that the engine is not worth it because there are no parts, there's parts you just have to know where to look. Like I said I wish there were more people keeping the 337 alive. It has so much potential. I'll be sure to post pics of my 337. I think I am even going to put EFI on it.

7. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

I think it would be a bad ass build, and I'd like to see it!

8. pauls fords

pauls fords

Have one off of ebay in a 49 Cosmo with 52,800 miles on it and is going into a 51 vert, My 51 was the verts parts car at one time, Just so you know these engines have hydraulic lifters in them that suck, they will pump out when you try to neutral rev them, can't take the no load revs, found a kit on ebay to convert the original hydraulics to an adjustable solid, bought in the 60's for $12 paid $125 for them, directions say gut lifter and install adjuster and adjust to .003 . Good luck finding another kit, mine is not for sale.

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Sounds like the adjustable Johnson's? They made them for several different engines/makes. I always thought the .003 clearance sounded tight. I've also wondered how those solids would work on the hydraulic cam.

Please let us know!

10. I have one to sell if anyone is interested. It is has 4400 miles from a f7 truck. It has standard bore with no ridge.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  11. inlaw model a, pm sent.

12. I have 2 of them I'd sell...

One is a Lincoln, the other a Ford. I also have a trans adapter to bolt one to an earlier Lincoln trans.

13. motorhead337

motorhead337

I think the hydraulic lifter engien has more hp, and I think its hard to get mechanical lifters for the 8eq

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Any data on that? It's rare when hydraulics make more HP than mechanical, all things being equal.

15. motorhead337

motorhead337

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_specs-337bigV8.htm the lincoln motor has more HP and the lincoln has hydraulic lifters. the book How to Build Classic Hot Rod V-8 Engines has a section where they build a 337 flathead. it talks about the lifters and says the mechanical lifters are more desirable but are harder to get new ones.

16. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

The baby Lincolns that the 337's are in have a longer frame from the firewall forward to accomodate the larger engine. Mercury's are not the same.

17. motorhead337

motorhead337

i plan to really build up my 337, i would like a better trans. i heard the hydramatic has slipping problems. what transmissions were used in the f7 f8 ford trucks with the 337? i heard they were 3 speed with OD that true? i wonder how hard it would be to make a belhousng for a t5

18. I just got mine running tonight. It hasn't run since the 80's. What is a running Ford F7 337 worth? As far as the trans, mine has a 5 speed overdrive.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BGE3xNuj87s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BGE3xNuj87s&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  19. motorhead337

motorhead337

mine is the lincoln flathead but im pretty sure the ford trucks that have the 337 should use the same belhousing on the trans

20. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

The F-7 truck came with the 5 speed (O.D. in 5th) and a single speed rearend. The F-8 came with a 4 speed (direct on 4th) along with a 2 speed rearend. If you find either a Lincoln with 3 speed/O.D. (usually a '49 model) or a truck version, you should be able to adapt almost any transmission (with a bit of machine work and a clutch disc to match). You won't want to use the truck transmissions-they arent too user friendly.

As far as the comment re the hydraulic lifter version having the higher H.P.; remember what kind of R.P.M. these engines turned. The Linc's rated H.p. came at 3600 R.P.M.-hardly enough to float the valves. I don't have the specs for the big trucks but remember, truck operators were more interested in torque and the trucks were usually geared to operate somewhere around the torque peak-way under 3600. ( I DO remember however, some independent truckers back in 1950-51 who drove the "dogs--t" out of those big Fords and just raved about how fast they would haul freight. Who knows what kind of Rs they were turning.)

21. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Don't remember what magazine it was in but a year or two ago a guy came over here from Australia with a blown v12 and toured all over southern California and went to Bonneville.I believe the rod was a 29 or 30 ford pickup .The mag caught upwith him and did article on it but I can't remember which magazine,,anyone else ess this ?

22. Not a 337 V8 flathead though. :)

23. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

There is a guy who casts heads and intakes in pacific northwest. Bendstens makes a tranny adapter, too. This fall I am making the OHV swap in my '49 lincoln. I'll prolly fund it by selling the driveline. I still have a disassembled one I picked up at the Shriner's Swap. I love the mill but...

24. Zenrodder

Zenrodder

Where would I find engine mounts?
    Im having my 337 rebuilt and was thinking of uping the piston size, grinding down the cam and hoping to find an intake manifold for a tri carb setup. Some heads would be nice too to come across.
    Can you email me some contacts to get the ball roling in terms of where I can find such parts?
    Thanks k

25. Zenrodder check over on Ford Barn.Lots of flat knowledge there.

26. PackardV8

PackardV8

That's what mother used to say and look how we ended up.

Seriously, how many 337" Lincoln/F8 truck V8s did we see in hot rods and race cars back in the day?

Just go for it and post the pictures. You'll have fun doing something different. That's why I build Studebaker and Packard V8s; because so few do.

jack vines

27. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Motorhead.... It has been almost 6 years, did you ever get a blower strapped to the top of your 337???

I always thought a McCulloch or similar centrifigal super charger would be the way to go on these big flatheads. It is just time and money, and I need both.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It should work well if he did. Flatheads are well suited to supercharging because they have low compression and are tuned for lots of punch at low speeds but run out of breath at high speeds. A 471 giving 5 pounds boost should increase usable HP by 40%.

The Lincoln engine was available with either solid or hydraulic lifters. The solids were in the truck engines. You could convert one by installing the truck cam and lifters. There is a reason you should change the cam. Solid cams have clearance ramps that are necessary for proper valve clearance. Hydraulic lifters don't need clearance ramps. This is why they recommend only .003 clearance when you put solids on a hydraulic cam, any more clearance and it rattles like mad and loses power. The down side is heat expansion and wear can easily louse up the clearance so you should check and adjust them much more often. Not too much of a problem on a hot rod OHV but a big problem on a flathead where the intake has to come off to check the valve clearance.

You could probably get the cam reground to a solid lifter profile that is hotter than stock and made for solid lifter clearance.

29. Kevin O'Connell

Kevin O'Connell

How much and do you still have it? Thanks Kevin